Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 6,320 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been living in Phoenix for the past 11 years. Originally from the California coast, we moved here for school, never intended to stay this long, but here we are all the same! We both miss being near water and really want to be somewhere where it is green. The desert is very beautiful, but we are looking to finally get out of the Phoenix valley, away from the very brown, dry HOT hotness of it all!! Unfortunetly, California is just to ridiculously expensive for us to go back to, but we are very interested in moving east! We've been to the east coast several times and love it, especially the Savannah area. We've been to Savannah a time or too, love it....the rich history and culture, the friendliness of everyone-especially coming from Phoenix, folks here aren't as outgoing- what an amazing atmosphere, being on the water, the food, the FRESH SEAFOOD-ya we don't have that in the middle of the desert and boy do we miss it!! We are also inerested in the Bluffton/Beufort area, but have never been there. Is it very far from Savannah- hour or two?? and are they similar in terms of the history and atmosphere? What about the job market in these areas...I will be able to transfer with my job however my husband works in the aviation field and has lots of experience with City jobs (currently works airport ops, is a licensed commercial pilot, has expereince with water dept...) In Savannah, what are the best neighborhoods in terms of taking walks, being somewhat close to historic downtown and the water? Looking to rent a house versus an apartment......oh we just don't even know where to start!!! We are planning a trip out in March to check out the area more, just not sure where to even start looking.......anyone who can spare some thoughts will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 04:51 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
That's a lot of questions!

The core of Beaufort has a similar feel to Savannah's historic district, though it's much smaller. It's about an hour's drive from the SAV airport. Bluffton is closer, but its tiny historic district is um, tiny. It's surrounded by a lot of new developments associated with Hilton Head Island.

Savannah is a mixed bag of old, new, and in between. Plenty of neighborhoods are walkable. Most are relatively close to downtown. Though there are few from which you can safely walk to get there.

You can start your job search online. I don't think the market is particularly strong right now, but there might be something in your husband's field.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
I agree with what Ellie said. That is a lot of ground to cover! For your details, sounds like Savannah would be more to your liking as far as lifestyle, things to do, jobs, etc. Beaufort is HEAVY military and Bluffton/HHI are dominated by retires and people who work in service industries. There are many terrific, "green" and desirable neighborhoods in Savannah proper that you should consider, depending on price points. Again, as Ellie said start your job search online and that will get you started. While Savannah is not a large Metro, our somewhat quirky road network can make commuting a chore if you live in one part of town and have to commute to the other side. When you do come visit, enlist the services of a qualified real estate agent to show you the possibilities. The folks at the CVB should be glad to put you in touch with one.

Welcome!

Old 11-08-2012, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,782 times
My friend and I are trying to find a quant place with some propert to have our dogs on and a quick ride to the beach for the weekends. We can either start our bookkeeping service company or try and find job working for others. We are in our 50's one coming from Houston and one from West Virginia. trying to start fresh lives in good area of town.

any thoughts?

Old 11-08-2012, 03:08 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine here we come View Post
My friend and I are trying to find a quant place with some propert to have our dogs on and a quick ride to the beach for the weekends. We can either start our bookkeeping service company or try and find job working for others. We are in our 50's one coming from Houston and one from West Virginia. trying to start fresh lives in good area of town.

any thoughts?
I don't think that you would be happy in Savannah if you are looking for quaint place. I've heard it called a lot of things, but never that!

Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the info, I know it's a lot of questions and I'm kinda all over the place! -sorry @ that! This is my first attempt at reaching out to others for input/advice with this move, I've never signed up in a forum before so, ya....I had to start somewhere I suppose. :-) Other than doing some research online, and having only visited Savannah just a bit, I just didn't know where to start.....so this is a good beginning! We are very excited to make this move! I am pretty well decided with Savannah, so you have given me a liitle bit of good info to share with my better half about Beaufort/Bluffton. Thank you newsboy & padgett2 I'm sure that I will have many more questions as we plan our move. Any other advice/info you all may have on making a cross country move to Savannah would be awesome!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:56 PM

sorry.....thanks too ellie!

Old 11-09-2012, 04:32 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine here we come View Post

any thoughts?
There are plenty of quaint places with fenced yards large enough for a couple of dogs. There's a limit of 5 dogs per household. To get acreage, you'll have to look outside of town.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:14 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
sunshine here we come...
Savannah is very dog friendly, so you will be able to find a place with your dogs. Savannah is about 1/2 hour to the beach, but you could also go south a bit towards Brunswick, which would take you closer to the St Simons and Jeckyl Island beaches, or you could go west of Savannah to the more rural areas, if you don't mind a hour or two to Tybee. If you are running a business though, I think you would want to stay closer to the city?

rtmills, I'll PM you with some good agents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area