Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 PM

77 posts, read 152,468 times

Advertisements

Why do social services for people in need seem to be so lacking in Savannah? With the large amount of low income people and crime in the city, and with its low graduation rate, it's surprising to me that there seem to be so few non profits in Savannah that are dedicated to helping people get out of poverty and get work or college ready.

I use the word seems because I haven't done too much research on the subject. I did go to school in Savannah, but wasn't really on the lookout at the time for local non profits. A quick search on the AmeriCorps.gov website does show me that there are no AmeriCorps programs based in Savannah, which is quite a shame.

Please someone, tell me that I'm wrong about all this and that there are plenty of social support services in Savannah. But if the opposite is true, does anyone know why this is the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 05:05 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,710,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesperhour View Post
Why do social services for people in need seem to be so lacking in Savannah? With the large amount of low income people and crime in the city, and with its low graduation rate, it's surprising to me that there seem to be so few non profits in Savannah that are dedicated to helping people get out of poverty and get work or college ready.

I use the word seems because I haven't done too much research on the subject. I did go to school in Savannah, but wasn't really on the lookout at the time for local non profits. A quick search on the AmeriCorps.gov website does show me that there are no AmeriCorps programs based in Savannah, which is quite a shame.

Please someone, tell me that I'm wrong about all this and that there are plenty of social support services in Savannah. But if the opposite is true, does anyone know why this is the case?
Maybe for starters there shouldn't' be an association with "Crime in the city" and social services (needed).
Perhaps that didn't come out the way you wanted to state your question or perhaps social services just bothers me and I'm very sensitive on these matters.

With all due respects to your post, I'm confused. In ONE sentence you mentioned high crime, low education(drop outs from school I assume) 'and the resultant consequence of poverty ...AND then what social programs are available to get them ready to go to college.

Help me out here. The programs you speak of I assume are mostly state funded. I see that you are not a resident of the state. So, in summary , I really, sincerely, don 't quite understand your post.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
I agree with Caddy. Not only is the question flawed, it might have been avoided altogether with a little bit of research on your part.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
It looks like the OP has lived in much larger cities than Savannah and maybe has seen that they have services for the poor that Savannah does not have?

Well, this is a relatively small city with different a different history and demographics than where you are currently living. Minneapolis, in particular, is known for its high standard of living and quality of life rating.

Having a strong tax base and a relatively wealthy population can help fund services for the poor. Unfortunately, our donors are often over-tapped and the city's taxable population isn't large or affluent enough to solve all problems stemming from poverty.

I'm tempted, but don't have the time to do your research for you; but I do know of a handful of organizations at different levels that provide assistance to the underprivileged. Some organizations like Habitat for Humanity or the Boys and Girls Club, have an easier time raising funds and have good public relations; others such as the homeless authority, have been poorly managed and have recently gotten a lot of attention from the press for that.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 AM

945 posts, read 968,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesperhour View Post

There is an awesome program that everyone I know goes to make ends meet - A Job.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
I don't think that I have ever entered this specific forum before. Still the question resonated with me. The op mentioned the graduation rate of kids in Savannah.

I would think that Savannah is similar to other places in the nation and offers free public education. Why would you guess that the graduation rate is so low? Do they require things that other areas do not require? Is it harder to teach kids how to read, write, or do math in Savannah than in other places in the nation? Not that I am a big believer in spending more money on education than we do now, but why spend the money on more social programs when we offer an educational system that is allready paid for by the people.

What I am getting at is the premise would be since the kids didn't learn anything in school when they were young, we will now spend more money education them. Do we the people need to offer additional education to those that didn't take advantage of the free education that the School offers them now? Couldn't a class be offered that lets the kids know that if they do good in school that they can graduate from high school, maybe go to college, and get out of poverty on their own.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,102,279 times
The problem, as I've stated before, is cultural and historical. It won't be changed overnight, no matter how much money is thrown at the various problems. These issues have been a part of the local fabric for decades & will stay for the forseeable future.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:13 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,710,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
The problem, as I've stated before, is cultural and historical. It won't be changed overnight, no matter how much money is thrown at the various problems. These issues have been a part of the local fabric for decades & will stay for the forseeable future.
OK.....now I need to go to bed thinking about the "Problems of crime, poor education and poverty" and how we can put in place social service programs to help those people move on to higher education,steady jobs with a prison record and moving the poor out of "the system" into the mainstream of life.

Guess what? I'm not even going to think about how the three subjects are " cultural and historical"..since they are part of the ""local fabric" I will need to think about this for a while.

Nitey nite.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
I'm linking this article here, just in case someone comes along needing to know who some of the agencies and other players are in caring for the poor. Granted this is specifically about homelessness; but the issues are often closely related.

http://savannahnow.com/news/2013-01-...s#.UPLpsGt5mK1

Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 AM

77 posts, read 152,468 times
Ellie, thank you. I realize that my initial forum post was really confusing. I guess I, myself, was confused about the situation in Savannah. I did find out about Step Up, a partnership of around 100 community minded organizations, and that they house a VISTA AmeriCorps program, so that is great to hear. Sorry again, for any ignorance or confusion on my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: