Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,563 times

Advertisements

Hey, y'all. ;]

I just recently spent some time down in Savannah and absolutely loved it.
I am from the NYC area (no need to be too specific because I've lived in 4 different places in the area in the last 3 years) and am no longer enjoying living here.

In comparison to NYC, I found that Savannah was full of very friendly people (and not just in the historic district. Also on Tybee and on the Southside, (toward Midtown) where I was staying) and life runs at a completely different pace from the New York minute. (Which I liked. The New York minute is an unnecessary rush that causes a lot of unnecessary stress.)

I've been reading a lot on these forums and on other websites to obtain more information and advice about Savannah and I've got to tell you... Those negative comments can really bring someone looking into moving into the area down! It is very discouraging to hear some of the negativity, especially for someone who loves the area and had a wonderful time there.

I will soon be graduating from college with a BA in Psychology and am wondering what kind of opportunities there would be for a person with that degree in Savannah. I've read all about the nepotism, but I do not want to believe that it is so bad down there that no one who isn't local can get a job if they don't already have an in.

I have a lot more to say and would love to talk about Savannah further with some locals. (Please do not redirect me to the other forums. I see them. I know where they are. I'd like to have a conversation that is unique to me and my interests.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Don't know about jobs in your field, but sure, Savannah is alright if you keep your expectations in line with reality. There are plenty of interesting and creative people living here. Not everyone finds their niche, but those who do wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:53 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
[quote=kristenwithacamera;28793308]Hey, y'all. ;]

In comparison to NYC, I found that Savannah was full of very friendly people (and not just in the historic district. Also on Tybee and on the Southside, (toward Midtown) where I was staying) and life runs at a completely different pace from the New York minute. (Which I liked. The New York minute is an unnecessary rush that causes a lot of unnecessary stress.)
QUOTE]

I don't necessarily agree with this contrast. Perhaps being part of 8.3 million ppl in NYC gives an appearance of "unnecessary" rushing and too fast a pace but it's part of a culture of competive (in work related matters) environment. I find the active and competive ppl here in Savannah much the same. You just can't "lay back" in either city, and be totally involved in your job or business.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:16 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Take all the negativity with a grain of salt. The biggest haters are people who moved here with unrealistic expectations (it's paradise!) and then turn on the city when the realities of living here sets in (bugs!) ... and locals who feel it is their civic duty to talk down Savannah so others won't make that mistake.

Sounds like you know what you're getting into. Lots of NYers have made the move.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:21 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Try to find a job here, and come on down. Give it a try. At your age you can hop around the country for awhile and see how you like a few different places.
The IS a lot of nepotism, but plenty of transplants find work here too.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:29 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,287 times
I grew up in Savannah and now live in the New York metro area. One thing about City-Data forums: everyone has different ideas about what makes a "good city." You might really be fine in Savannah, which is no longer the backwater southern town it was when I was growing up. However, it is a small city and has its flaws. Every city does. By all means listen to upbeat Newsboy (a Savannah booster), but also to Elie and Padgett (two Savannahians who offer a nice dose of reality). Best of luck to you.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:14 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,343,712 times
Savannah is a neat place. I lived there for a while and loved the fact that they had an actual art scene. It's also a beautiful town. Like any real Southern city, it has it's peculiarities when it comes to who runs what, but isn't it like that everywhere? People in the South just are not too concerned about it. It's that way, and the land is littered w/ the bones of those who came to get things going "like it is back home". I ended up moving from there to Daytona, Fl because it was a lot cheaper to live, and the beaches were right there, not a long drive away. I never cared for that Tybee area. It looked a little too ingrown to me. Please note, large areas of the city are what I wouldn't wish to live in due to crime. The Historical District is the only place I really loved, and housing is way overpriced in my opinion. Daytona is fun, but I sure miss arts and culture, so we're going to go up to Savannah soon just to soak up some of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area