Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 06:43 PM

105 posts, read 194,195 times

Advertisements

My dear friend and I are taking our first gals trip sans husbands and kids. We are really looking forward to this since we've been friends for over 25 years. We booked a room at the Marshall Inn House and would like to do an evening ghost tour. Please help us to make this an extra memorable gettaway and suggest must see's, eats and do's.

So far we've been referred to the below, please feel free to comment.

The moon river brewery
Jazz
Blue orb tours
Beyond getting evil
Ghost city tours

We're mid 30's, still know how to have a little fun, but aren't the real partying type...still doing our own research, but the locals know best, right!

Thanks,

Sandy~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 05:08 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Here are a few suggestions within walking distance from your hotel.
You should have drinks and the Truffle Fries at Rocks on the Roof at the Bohemian Hotel.
You should have lunch on the rooftop patio at The Public at Bull and Liberty Sts.
I don't know what you like, and what your budget is, or if you want to go fancy, or stay in shorts and flip flops. There are several elegant restaurants, but plenty of flip flop friendly ones too.
If you are on the hunt for crab cakes, The Distillery.
If you want great food in a historic building, The Pirate's House.
Moon River's new patio looks like a fun place to have a few beers. They are not known for their food, but maybe it's OK.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:14 AM

Thank you for the great suggestions. We'll probably dress up a little at night, but otherwise stay comfortably casual during the day. I am looking forward to trying some of these places.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:19 PM

25 posts, read 62,825 times
Oh, a girl's weekend sounds like a lot of fun!!

We stayed at the Marshall House last year and got a thrill waiting for the "ghosts" to do something. We had read that the Inn is very haunted. The rooms we stayed in had a big tilt to them so things slid easily off of the side tables during the night which can be disconcerting.

As far as a great time goes, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record...I highly recommend a tour with Shannon Scott (bonaventurecemetery.com he also has a facebook page for the cemetery tours and photos). We spent the entire day with him, did a cemetery day tour where he shared pictures, stories and the history behind the cemetery, Savannah and some of the funerary art (statues) and an evening tour called the Paranormalist where we toured the squares and he shared history and paranormal stories of some of the homes, squares, and Colonial Cemetery. He is very knowledgeable and did not employ actors or scare tactics on any of his tours. My 14 year old son described his tour as a live audiobook tour, his storytelling ability is spectacular. He may have toned the stories down a bit because of my son, but the ones he tells will stay with you. You can tell he loves what he does and wants you to enjoy yourself as well. I know he also does a "Bonaventure After Dark" tour but did not go on that one because we did not want to go in a group.

We also ate at The Lady and Sons (Paula Deen's), we were playing tourist and had to, it was okay, but go to Mrs. Wilkes for lunch instead it was much, much better!

We took a carriage ride, a trolley tour, and ate ice cream at Leopold's but nothing compared to the time we spent with Shannon. We did not stay long enough to tour the Telfair Museum or any of the homes, but plan to next time.

Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy your girl's weekend!

Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 AM

Thank you so much for Lora01oh! I did not know this about the Marshall house, but then again I guess it's to be expected for how ancient it is. Yikes!

I am very excited to visit Savannah and really do appreciate all of your recommendations. I am making note of them now and will book soon.

Take care,

Sandy

Old 06-05-2013, 07:39 PM

25 posts, read 62,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del to Corn View Post
Thank you so much for Lora01oh! I did not know this about the Marshall house, but then again I guess it's to be expected for how ancient it is. Yikes!

I am very excited to visit Savannah and really do appreciate all of your recommendations. I am making note of them now and will book soon.

Take care,

Sandy
You're welcome Sandy.

If you do a little internet search on the Marshall House, you'll find that it has been re-purposed several times and at one time it was a hospital where a lot of amputations were performed. Supposedly during one renovation a pit of body parts were found. There are glassed book shelves at the end of the hallways that have things that have been found in and around the hotel. Pretty neat place and you really can "feel" how old it is.

Be sure to check out Shannon, I cannot stress enough how much fun he is

I hope you come back and tell us/me about your trip.

Lora

Old 06-24-2013, 03:32 PM

Thank you again Lora...interesting facts indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area