Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 20,966 times

Advertisements

I am considering making a move to Savannah or nearby. My son is currently in Iraq but will be stationed at Ft Stewart next year. I am an experienced ICU nurse need to close to Hospitals and Ft. Stewart. I've been reading how th salaries are low. Any suggestions re areas to rent in relation to hospitals and the base
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 11:52 AM

726 posts, read 3,604,199 times
St. Joseph's Candler
Memorial Health
The Georgetown area has many apartments and is between Savannah Hospitals and Ft Stewart
Grove Point Rd and King George Blvd at Abercorn Extension
Savannah, Hinesville among country's 'best performing' cities | SavannahNow.com

Old 09-29-2007, 12:08 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
Here's the web site for the Liberty County Hospital in Hinesville.

Welcome to Liberty Regional Medical Center.

Richmond Hill would also give you better access to Ft Stewart than Savannah.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:30 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times
i am an RN who lived in Ft Stewart when I was married to a soldier, just a few years ago, and i also lived on Wilmington Island off the coast of Savannah for 8 months after we got divorced.
i worked on post at Ft Stewart and LOVED LOVED LOVED the hospital on post. i worked there for several years, starting out as a contractor and then went GS (Civil Service).
i then did a short stint at Memorial Health University Medical Center in Savannah, and found it to be a top notch Level I trauma center-high tech as they come, very progressive, well run hospital...the best of the best...most impressed i have ever been in my 16 year career.
i do not recommend Liberty Regional Medical Center in Hinesville, nor St Josephs/Candler in Savannah.
email me if you want specifics.
TRY real hard to work on post...you wont regret it. i promise. it might be the best RN gig ya ever had.

p.s. salaries-the top dollar will be paid by the govt jobs or defense contractor jobs. so if you decide NOT to work on post, you will find RN salaries to be generally low in comparism to the high cost of living (to me it is MUCH higher cost of living in Texas, and i make somewhat more in Texas).
the rents in Hinesville, the town where Ft Stewart is located at, are surprisingly high for what you get, but it's because all the landlords know the amount of BHA active duty military gets, and base it on that. if your son is married and gets post housing, see if he would be willing to take ya in. housing is GREAT on post!!! loved living there. and SO safe!
p.s.s. despite what i have said about my NURSING experience, i dislike Georgia very much. God Bless Texas and am so so glad to be back here!!

Last edited by NOTAM; 10-01-2007 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 10-03-2007, 08:01 AM

Thank You for the advise I have looked at jobs on base and have been considering that. What did you dislike about Ga? I'm from a small town in MS. I looked on the website starting salaries on base are significantly lower than what I'm currently making but I'm sure that is befor they take into consideration experience. Also I am looking for ICU and I didn't think a base hosp would have an ICU. What kinds of shifts and benefits do they offer on base.Do you work for the Govt or a private co? I'm so dissapointed to hear and read so many negative things about Ga I had this image of an old Southern town with many exciting things to do and see.I guess I really needed that reality check. But I think I can handle it. My son is not married he is about to turn 19 and is my only child. Please give me all the information that you think would be useful. thanks

Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
Bensma, Thinking about the age of your son, it might be a better idea to stay in Savannah. Your baby has done a lot of growing up and he might like a chance to visit Savannah when he has time off, rather than having Mommy close by. Savannah can be a great place to visit and meet people. Hinesville......well, Hinesville is Hinesville. It's oriented around Fort Stewart and the Army. It's a different atmosphere.

I know that he's your only child and very dear to you, but he's a man now.

Memorial, in Savannah is a great hospital with a good reputation. It has several intensive care units, heart, trauma, post surgical, etc. It's also a branch of the Medical College of Georgia and as a Teaching Hospital gets patients from all over the SE Georgia are. I am sure you could find exactly what you are looking for. You may be required to get your Georgia License before you get full pay, I don't know what the requirements are now. But that would be no problem.

Here's a link if you want to look further at the opputunities there.
memorial university hospital savannah ga - Google Search

Good Luck!! I think you would like Savannah and all it has to offer.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:44 AM

you wont need a Georgia RN license if you work on a military installation. you can be licensed in any state. the same rules go for if you work native american reservations or any federal installations.

i disliked georgia because of the humidity and the racism against caucasians.

i was contractor and then civil service. benefits on post depend on which way you go. shifts are various. email me if you have further questions,

Old 10-06-2007, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 9,395 times
I work at Memorial and have since graduating from nursing school in (ahem)1982, if that tells you anything, bensma. The communication between upper management and staff is great. I'm sure you will find whatever kind of ICU job you are looking for there. (I was neonatal ICU for 18 yrs) Richmond Hill would be convenient for you, but the traffic is a BEAR. By the way, tell your son "thank you" for serving our country from a proud Georgia mom. Also, thank YOU for raising such a brave young man!

Old 10-06-2007, 06:57 PM

Thank you for your nice reply I am proud of my son.By the way I graduated Nursing school in 1985. We've seen alot of stuff huh? I appreciate your feedback with this major decesion. My two main concerns are the crime and the traffic. (and also which area to live in) but I've got about 6 mos to make up my mind. I think I'll just take a trip up there and look around. Thanks again for your reply

Old 10-06-2007, 08:06 PM

if i were you i would do either of two things:
1) live on Wilmington Island and work at Memorial
or
2) live in Ludowici and work at Winn Army
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area