Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 04:51 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We just got back from Savannah-our youngest had a soccer clinic to help out at at SCAD and where she'll be attending school starting in the fall. I am totally jealous over the nice weather we had from Thursday until this morning when we left to head back to Upstate NY. It's in the 40's here and rain.

I stayed in Pooler this time. Right next door to the Air Force museum. I also poked around the area since I had a day and half to myself. I wanted to see what was out that way in terms of stores, doctors, homes, etc. You can see it is very up and coming as there was plenty of construction going on. Totally different from here-little to nothing is being built these days. With the exception of banks. My small village/town now has 16 different banks! all because of all the transplants that moved up here from NYC/LI/Westchester since they don't want to lose customers.

What is the local's take on Pooler area? I looked at the newest Beazer development-too clustered together for my taste. I like a bit more elbow room. Are there more like that in the works? I still like the idea of a older home with plywood/doug fir over what's new on the market. Course we'd want a inspection to be done for termites, mold, structural stuff. Or we'd just find a piece of land and start over again.

How's the job market in that area? I figure most drive into Savannah. I'd rather find a local school district to drive a school bus in again and let hubby stick with what he knows, ready mix concrete/ construction/ dispatching.

I like that it didn't take all that long from there over to Tybee Beach. I talked to some locals and they mentioned south of Savannah in a few areas to look at or even a tad more west bound. I am interested in finding out as much as we can. Our house is going up in June for sale. Let's face it, I can drive a school bus anywhere as the driver's shortage is all over-I am a hot commodity.

What about flood plain areas? Does anyone have a link for that? I'd like to see that if some one can share it with me.

It is a little over a 5 hour drive to my older kids in Florida and that makes it a easy ride for any of us. It's also a easy ride into NC/VA to see my family who are native to those areas. I also like that it's not far from the coast, to get to Hilton Head, Tybee or St. Simon's area is reasonable. I did ask about hurricanes in the area, what can you tell me?

So many questions! As we've never truly moved -lived a spell in a town further north for 4 years when we first married in 87 but ended up next door to my folks since my Dad had a stroke and needed help around their place.

Thank you all in advance! I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 05:23 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I live in Pooler and I like that it is up and coming, and the people in charge seem to have a clue, unlike Savannah proper. You only need one bank, so it does not matter how many there are. We notice that most of our Savannah doctors have offices in Pooler now, and more will be added, so that is a plus.
I understand what you mean about what I call, the "vinyl sided ghettos". We avoided these also. There are neighborhoods here which are not like that. If you get a realtor who is familiar with the area, they can steer you.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:28 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Did you get a chance to tour any intown homes with a realtor? You mentioned in an earlier thread that you had an appointment to see homes in Ardsley Park.

Two observations about this week from a local:

1. The weather was warmest we've had so far this year, but humidity was relatively low. Which means this weekend was much more pleasant than it's gonna soon be (i.e. steamy)
2. This was a very slow tourist weekend downtown, with much less traffic and street crowds in the Historic District. I imagine because we're between all the spring breaks and end of the school year. However, it was a busier than usual weekend on Tybee due to the Rainbow Days Gay Pride Festival. Don't know if you noticed, and in case you were wondering.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:46 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Your husband should be able to get a job pretty quick.

Several large multi million dollar construction projects are getting ready to start.

St. Joseph's Hospital officials unveil $19 million project to ready site for next 20 years

Kinder Morgan - Elba Liquefaction Project & Elba Express Compression Project

Savannah City Council to consider bond issue for garage - Story | WJCL

Plus Savannah is now in the midst of a real estate boom...

Old 05-01-2016, 06:15 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
I was poking around this week-end looking for one or two people that I might need in my business and I came across "Resumes" on Craigslist Savannah. Might want to check it out re your driving.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Did you get a chance to tour any intown homes with a realtor? You mentioned in an earlier thread that you had an appointment to see homes in Ardsley Park.

Two observations about this week from a local:

1. The weather was warmest we've had so far this year, but humidity was relatively low. Which means this weekend was much more pleasant than it's gonna soon be (i.e. steamy)
2. This was a very slow tourist weekend downtown, with much less traffic and street crowds in the Historic District. I imagine because we're between all the spring breaks and end of the school year. However, it was a busier than usual weekend on Tybee due to the Rainbow Days Gay Pride Festival. Don't know if you noticed, and in case you were wondering.
Ah but still better than here in upstate NY for weather-we've now had 10 days of rain in the 40's-50's.

I figured it was a slow tourist weekend. Tybee was another story on Saturday-didn't know the parade was going on. Ended up by the Lighthouse for the beach. It was nice to see both ends of things as I was out there on Friday by myself. Course I saw all the Baywatch trailers out there-I feel for locals when that all gets started. Nobody's Fool was shot here in our village as well as Super Troopers. Film crew closing roads-ugh.

Still I was interested in seeing the distance from away from Savannah downtown to get to the beach. Not a bad ride really. I imagine it's like Myrtle Beach in the summer with heavy traffic. But at least it's not over commercialized like that area.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Your husband should be able to get a job pretty quick.

Several large multi million dollar construction projects are getting ready to start.

St. Joseph's Hospital officials unveil $19 million project to ready site for next 20 years

Kinder Morgan - Elba Liquefaction Project & Elba Express Compression Project

Savannah City Council to consider bond issue for garage - Story | WJCL

Plus Savannah is now in the midst of a real estate boom...
Thanks, he's going to see what he can find out about jobs in the ready mix concrete industry in the area. He did work for 4 years with a DME filling liquid oxygen into tanks. Might be a place to explore too.

We've branched our search a bit. Looking at Pooler, Rincon, Richmond Hill even over into SC by where SCAD's soccer fields are. Port Wentworth had a few places, but heard traffic is a nightmare since the infrastructure hasn't been brought up to snuff with the new developments there. We have that here already-we've had no new roads added in over 50 years. There's 300K now living in our county and it's horrible certain times of the day.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I was poking around this week-end looking for one or two people that I might need in my business and I came across "Resumes" on Craigslist Savannah. Might want to check it out re your driving.
I've thought about that too. I have my resume on Indeed along with my LinkedIn. I need to find out the school districts in the areas. I don't want Savannah-Chatham as I've heard there's issues there. So I'll stick to outside the city to look into a school district to work for.

I talked to one tour company there, but they said until I actually moved there they weren't interested. But I am not interested in moving anywhere without knowing I have a job in hand. Rockefeller rich I am not.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:05 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
If he has a good mechanical and technical background have him apply at the new Kinder Morgan LNG plant. I think they are going to hire around 250 people and most energy sector jobs pay real good.

Kinder Morgan Inc. Employer Salary, Average Salaries by Job | PayScale

Old 05-07-2016, 05:21 PM

Ok here's what we've decided. We have pin pointed the Windsor Forest area along with Lee's Gate Village for possible homes. I am targeting school districts for either school bus driver or dispatching. Or tour companies for tour buses as my degree is in hospitality and tourism management. I always thought I'd work for Mickey Mouse.

Any help here would be more than appreciated. I heard there's some major turn-over with Savannah-Chatham schools. What do you all know?

I am beyond excited as this will becoming reality by fall! I've never moved away in my life-our house now is next door to where I grew up. It's time to fly and discover a new life.

Thank you all-you don't know how valuable the input has been in our choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area