Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:33 AM

98 posts, read 205,449 times

Advertisements

Hiring more police officers might not be the best solution. It didn't work as planned for some of the crime-ridden cities in California. It may be a short-term solution, but as Savannah gets more national spotlight in many different aspects, we need to start thinking long-term; investing in our public K-12 schools would be a great start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 03:47 PM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuk1219 View Post
Hiring more police officers might not be the best solution. It didn't work as planned for some of the crime-ridden cities in California. It may be a short-term solution, but as Savannah gets more national spotlight in many different aspects, we need to start thinking long-term; investing in our public K-12 schools would be a great start.
You are reinventing the wheel here. The first step is staffing the police department, after the cesspool that was created by the past chief of police with help from the past politicians in town. You are right to say that the school systems need work.

NOW we are at ground zero and scratching our way up. Several Savannah schools were on the list of top schools in America, however, even the best of those were woefully behind other areas of the country. People are trying, and they should not be discouraged.

At the risk of throwing in an unrelated subject, this is why Donald Trump has resonated with America. Everyone is sick and tired of excuses.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:29 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,279,894 times
gentle, agree completely. deuk, Of course better education would help. But we need more police with better pay and support, yesterday. And yes this is exactly why Trump resonates. He'll do something. It might be a catastrophe but dang it, he'll DO something! And, talk to a teacher. They ain't parents and are politically micromanaged more than ever anyway. it's a cultural thing. This whole thug drug dealer violent gang culture is like a weed that is hard to eradicate. But you have to attack the source. I wish we could deport the small group, probably under 100, of convicted murderers, holding this city (and others) hostage, to a remote Pacific Island. I'm talking convicted murderers where it's multiple homicides or beyond a shadow of a doubt. I really don't understand why we either waste money putting them in life in prison (plus isn't that more cruel than execution?) or let them out after a few years to do it again. I am of the view if you intentionally murder someone you have a mental disease that so far medicine has absolutely no way of curing. Short of frontal lobotomy as News mentioned in the other thread.. But to be humane or whatever, why don't we create a mini-Australia of murderers on some remote island. Right? Just drop 'em out of a military plane on its way to a base out there or something. If their parachute works great if not great. Anyway that's all a pipe dream. Meantime, don't go out alone at night in the city. This is common sense. I wish it wasn't that way though, of course. Maybe one day..

Old 05-12-2016, 01:52 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,714,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
gentle, agree completely. deuk, Of course better education would help. But we need more police with better pay and support, yesterday. And yes this is exactly why Trump resonates. He'll do something.

Sorry to disappoint you SL (and myself) but that's just not true.
We have a couple of bodies of people, I think they are still around, called "Congress". Trump will not be allowed to do ANYTHING!

Back to topic.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:42 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,949,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Sorry to disappoint you SL (and myself) but that's just not true.
We have a couple of bodies of people, I think they are still around, called "Congress". Trump will not be allowed to do ANYTHING!

Back to topic.
That's assuming Trump will be elected, which is still a long shot.

Savannah Life ... you better go ahead and get used to the words "Madam President."

Old 05-13-2016, 12:40 PM

145 posts, read 160,393 times
In NY back in the early 90's is when the city started to make it's come back. They hired more police but equally importantly they managed their resources better as well. That was when they started using Compstat to develop an accountability process to make sure the constant improvements were being made. Changes didn't happen over night, but with a couple of years it was surprising how much better it was. As I recall, once tangible improvement was seen in the crime rate other areas started to improve as well. I'm hoping it will be the same for Savannah.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:43 PM

145 posts, read 160,393 times
Education seemed to be the last to really improve - not sure if it really did or didn't. It is very difficult to say as there are so many opinions (biased and unbiased, philosophical and practical).

Old 05-14-2016, 01:43 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,615,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice View Post
Education seemed to be the last to really improve - not sure if it really did or didn't. It is very difficult to say as there are so many opinions (biased and unbiased, philosophical and practical).
Takes a long time to break the cycle, meaning generations in 20 years if you can get half of the kids who were at risk out of the situation it will make a big difference. But it will be a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: