Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 12:47 PM

145 posts, read 160,596 times

Advertisements

I know it can take time for a newly elected official to truly put their stamp on city administration, but I am curious to hear what people think so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 04:28 PM

50,431 posts, read 64,199,369 times
Well, in today's paper, it was reported that the new mayor, who crosses Bay St. several times a day, sees a need for change in the traffic situation, which, if you do not know, is big trucks on a narrow road with parking on both sides plus lots of pedestrians. He specifically does not want another study, but wants swift action.
Key words being, "not another study".
In answer to your question, so far, so good.
In addition, he is actively seeking a new City Manager of his choosing, and has assigned the sitting Aldermen specific assignments which they are accountable for. Sink or swim, suckahs.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:29 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,970,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Well, in today's paper, it was reported that the new mayor, who crosses Bay St. several times a day, sees a need for change in the traffic situation, which, if you do not know, is big trucks on a narrow road with parking on both sides plus lots of pedestrians. He specifically does not want another study, but wants swift action.
Key words being, "not another study".
In answer to your question, so far, so good.
In addition, he is actively seeking a new City Manager of his choosing, and has assigned the sitting Aldermen specific assignments which they are accountable for. Sink or swim, suckahs.
And yet ... violent crime (specifically homicide) which he ran on a promise to reduce, is at a record high just 4 months into the year -- despite police having taken more than 400 illegal weapons off the street, tracking down and arresting dozens of convicted felons wanted for outstanding warrants, and fully staffing the department for the first time in years!

On that issue, he so far scores a big fat F.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:10 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,622,022 times
Newsboy, it takes a while to get the crime down.

Now he can send the troops out to scoop up a couple of hundred drug fiends and corner boys slinging rock, but investigations take years to identify, investigate, build cases, and arrest organization bad guys.

I will wait until a year after the new City Manager is in their position. If I see improvements in projects, budget, policing, and overall quality of life then he gets a good grade.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:53 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,282,852 times
I agree I think he is doer, not a corrupt and/or incompetent idiot like the last mayor and council. "no more studies" yeah, way to go!

Crime is continuing to spiral out of control though. Up almost 50% over last year at this time. Several shootings per day in the past week with several homicides. Unbelievable. On top of last year which was already a sharp uptick in crime. For now however I still think it's due to an incompetent city manager and previous corrupt council. It would also help if we could simply deport convicted murderers. There's probably less than 100 individuals that are essentially holding half the city hostage and the entire city at night hostage. Oh well too bad that's a pipe dream. Maybe President Trump can do that, and ship our criminals and rapists to Mexico after he builds the wall, hahaha. I get it News I watched a bit of The Wire it takes time to build cases and the police officers have their hands tied. In such a great city that should be brimming with good jobs and lots of money, from the huge port to huge military bases to our creative industries, higher education, and tourism, unemployment should be some of the lowest in the USA. I am hopeful Eddie can reach out to the youth currently living in the projects and in lower income areas and they can build skills while doing good work for the city and local businesses and institutions. Crime traditionally spikes in the summer, though. So, this summer we will indeed see "how the new Mayor is doing".

He also proposes having police take their cars home. This is a brilliant, effective low cost solution. Parked squad cars just by themselves are a deterrent. And police really don't get paid as much as they ought to at the entry level, it's really quite low. So if they want good cars to bring home then definitely they should get them.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:01 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,723,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post

He also proposes having police take their cars home. This is a brilliant, effective low cost solution. Parked squad cars just by themselves are a deterrent. And police really don't get paid as much as they ought to at the entry level, it's really quite low. So if they want good cars to bring home then definitely they should get them.
I think this is already being done, perhaps against regulations, but I'v seen this a number of times on the East side. There's a house on Henry going west that I think this officer spends a lot of time there since his car is always there when I pass his house. Maybe he is doing "under the cover" work? I

Old 05-07-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I think this is already being done, perhaps against regulations, but I'v seen this a number of times on the East side. There's a house on Henry going west that I think this officer spends a lot of time there since his car is always there when I pass his house. Maybe he is doing "under the cover" work? I
They already are allowed to drive their cars home if they live in the county. The new rules will allow them to drive cars home OUTSIDE the county, up to 27 miles. Because there are so many new officers, they're having to buy a bunch of new cars.

The new rule isn't just intended to make SCMP more visible in a hole to deter crime; it's an employment incentive / perk to keep them on the job longer and cut down on turnover which has been a huge job.

I live on Wilmington Island and have officers in my complex who drive police cars from Tybee, Pooler and Homeland Security -- all obviously out of jurisdiction.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:54 PM

Mayor DeLoach on crime numbers: “I haven’t done my job.” | WSAV-TV

Old 05-11-2016, 07:13 AM

50,431 posts, read 64,199,369 times
Sometimes things get worse, before they get better. New police officers need time to get seasoned, and the chief has more autonomy now than when he was being micromanaged. The quick arrest of the most recent murderer is encouraging.
I know you are still reeling from what happened to you, News, but I still have faith that the mayor has made crime the first priority.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:23 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,282,852 times
Gentle I agree, he seems like a doer not a talker, let's hope it gets better. The teen murderer they just got was out on probation though. It's catch and release but the Mayor and PD can't fix that. It is unfortunate that murderers are allowed to continue to live and to get released so quick. Meantime the local leaders and especially the PD can use all our support they can get..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: