Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 09:07 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times

Advertisements

Must be the legal weed...

Republicans wouldn't have voted for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 09:48 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
CHIEF LUMPKIN GIVES CRIME UPDATE TO COUNTY COMMISSION

Metro Chief Jack Lumpkin gives update on crime - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Lumpkin addresses concerns over crime Savannah reduction results | SavannahNow

LOTS OF GOOD STUFF HERE:

== The 29 homicides recorded so far this year represent a 23 percent increase over the same time last year

== Nearly two thirds (20) of this year's homicides have been in the central precinct bounded by Anderson Street on the north, DeRenne Avenue on the south, and Truman Parkway / Skidaway / Pennsylvania Avenue on the east.

== 12 of this year’s homicides were the result of a dispute between acquaintances, 1 was gang-related, 5 were drug-related, 2 were domestic disputes gone wrong, 1 was an act of retaliation and 1`was a case of mistaken identity. The other 7 have not been determined.

== The police department has cleared 59 percent of the 29 homicides this year and solved 8 from 2015.

Last edited by Newsboy; 06-24-2016 at 10:31 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 07:15 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,188 times
East Savannah home shot in drive-by, more than forty bullets | WSAV-TV
Man dragged by car in Garden City domestic dispute | WSAV-TV

Fortunately no one was hurt!

"Neighbors told the Bells that they heard a car speed off after rapid gunfire and dozens of bullets pierced through the home as their six children were asleep."

Last edited by SavannahLife; 06-27-2016 at 07:23 PM..

Old 06-28-2016, 06:43 AM

And today-
16-year-old hurt in shooting on Savannah's southside | SavannahNow

Old 07-17-2016, 10:11 AM

Prayers for the soldier and his family-- Savannah-Chatham police investigating two overnight shootings | SavannahNow

30th homicide happened in the middle the week four days ago:
Police ID Savannah's 30th homicide victim

Old 07-27-2016, 09:19 AM

Body found at school site is Savannah's 32nd homicide of 2016 | SavannahNow
Savannah-Chatham police investigate early morning shooting on Back River Bridge | SavannahNow
Savannah-Chatham police seek information regarding 36th and Florance shooting suspect | SavannahNow

However, some good news...
New Savannah job program aims to help those with criminal backgrounds | SavannahNow

We desperately need to try and get NONviolent criminals with records back into the workforce. If they aren't working they will turn to crime because everyone needs to eat (tough-on-crime politicians lose sight of this and cause unintended consequences we're all now seeing) (though murderers, you all know where I'd like to send them...if it were up to me I'd ship them to the darn moon)

Old 07-29-2016, 05:27 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Body found at school site is Savannah's 32nd homicide of 2016 | SavannahNow
Savannah-Chatham police investigate early morning shooting on Back River Bridge | SavannahNow
Savannah-Chatham police seek information regarding 36th and Florance shooting suspect | SavannahNow

However, some good news...
New Savannah job program aims to help those with criminal backgrounds | SavannahNow

We desperately need to try and get NONviolent criminals with records back into the workforce. If they aren't working they will turn to crime because everyone needs to eat (tough-on-crime politicians lose sight of this and cause unintended consequences we're all now seeing) (though murderers, you all know where I'd like to send them...if it were up to me I'd ship them to the darn moon)
Who is we? BTW employers rule the roost in spite of what you may think of what pols can do for the country. Case in point: in tough economic climate employer has choice of non violent criminal or no record person with same skill set. You know the answer as to employer's choice. Pols: Fed bank's total control. Pols: rhetoric before election then quickly forgotten. Employer: Why take a chance? Tourist has something missing from room. You what? No vetting? You hired who? Agriculture: "But no American want to harvest my crop...who can I get... please help me". Non violent crime: Guess what? Not everyone agrees a crime should be excused or stricken from the record. Talk to someone from a small town outside of the major cities and ask them what they think of " Mary Jane". Well, they think that's a girl down the street and not that funny smelling cig you're smoking.

That's enough. Got to go hump in the heat.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:07 PM

Police investigating shooting near ACL Blvd., Liberty Parkway | SavannahNow
Quote:
Savannah-Chatham police are investigating a shooting that occurred on ACL Boulevard near Liberty Parkway....Avoid the area if possible...

Old 08-01-2016, 03:13 PM

Yes I agree pink. -- this is the root of it - a growing class of people (in savannah maybe an entire quarter or even third of the populace) that have criminal records, which makes most of them almost unemployable except at minimum wage jobs or if they get lucky somewhere that looks the other way or just really needs to hire quickly. This large group of people, what will they do? It's about unintended consequences. Toughoncrime people think well I live in a nice neighborhood, has nothing to do with me. Then they get robbed while visiting the downtown to go to a high falutin' art gallery opening or something. It affects us all and frankly it will be cheaper to get these folks back to working. Most of the nonviolent offenders probably want to work and would do a reasonable job. Some, yes, are just lowlifes that don't want to work a minute a day. How to fix that, I've no idea, probably can't be. But if pols *incentivize* employers to reach out and address this issue... we may save tax money while lowering crime and boosting employment. It is a complex issue.

Your tourist missing something thing, that is a good and insightful point. Unintended consequences indeed. However a few missing purses may probably be worth it in the longterm. Don't put burglars in a place to handle valuables or currency. Perhaps put them out picking up litter. Agriculture? The farm bill is trillions of scam. Courtesy 'fiscal conservatives' from flyover states. And I like that Trump at least got the illegal immigration debate started. You mention agriculture. That's all kinds of problems. But it's because employers wrote the laws. That's a national issue. That probably won't be fixed ever, not even by King Trump, because there's too much $ stacked against the interest of employees and fair wages. Farming is hard. I worked a field for a year. No complaints, it sure gave me mountains of respect for anyone in agriculture. Anywho, enjoy the week, stay safe, stay cool!

Old 08-01-2016, 03:28 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
^^^Good post in response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area