Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 10:53 AM

6 posts, read 6,677 times

Advertisements

Hello I am currently living in Brunswick, MD (DC metro) and I am done with the area. I need a change and have been looking at possible areas. I am currently saving up for a possible move. I'm 22, single, labor worker and an outdoorsy person. So I feel like being by the water would be right for me. Later this summer I want to drive down and visit for a couple days. I do have some questions.

How expensive is Savannah compared to the DC metro area?

What's the employment like? My experience is Geotechnical Drilling idk if there any drilling companies in the area or not.

What is the nightlife like? I no issues with family friendly stuff like museums, etc. but would like to go out for drinks on the weekends.

What is the weather like year round? I'm sure it's warmer than the north in the winter but if you could elaborate that would be awesome.

That's all I can think of right now but if there's anything else you can tell me would be appreciated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 11:40 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,621,411 times
How much experience do you have in the drilling industry would it be a good fit for energy industry in a refinery setting? We have a LNG plant here that is going to greatly expand over the next couple of years. From what I have seen they plan on hiring a couple of hundred people with a large majority being technical and engineering types.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
How much experience do you have in the drilling industry would it be a good fit for energy industry in a refinery setting? We have a LNG plant here that is going to greatly expand over the next couple of years. From what I have seen they plan on hiring a couple of hundred people with a large majority being technical and engineering types.
Four years not really related but I'm sure any kind of drilling would be good. Thanks for letting me know that!

Old 06-06-2016, 12:18 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,090,243 times
Honestly I think you might be better suited for the Gulf Coast with a drilling background.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:22 PM

474 posts, read 590,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate94 View Post
Hello I am currently living in Brunswick, MD (DC metro) and I am done with the area. I need a change and have been looking at possible areas. I am currently saving up for a possible move. I'm 22, single, labor worker and an outdoorsy person. So I feel like being by the water would be right for me. Later this summer I want to drive down and visit for a couple days. I do have some questions.

What's the employment like? My experience is Geotechnical Drilling idk if there any drilling companies in the area or not.

What is the nightlife like? I no issues with family friendly stuff like museums, etc. but would like to go out for drinks on the weekends.

What is the weather like year round? I'm sure it's warmer than the north in the winter but if you could elaborate that would be awesome.

That's all I can think of right now but if there's anything else you can tell me would be appreciated!

Thanks
I understand what sort of drilling work you're looking for. Check with Whitaker Labs, Terracon, and ECS. They're the biggest geotechnical / material testing firms in the Savannah area. I'm sure there are others, as well.

It's going to be significantly cheaper than the DC area. Also, there is a pretty lively nightlife downtown surrounding River Street and City Market.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:00 PM

89 posts, read 86,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate94 View Post

Thanks
We're not too far from you in Frederick and moving in a couple years.

Cost of living is MUCH cheaper in Savannah than it is here. Housing is about 60% LESS than it is here when it comes to buying something. Not sure how paying rent there compares with around here since we will be buying when we move.
Food costs are comparable to what it is here.
It's hotter in the summer than it is here but there won't be anymore snow storms and shoveling to do in January. Barely gets below freezing if memory serves me.
Wet Willies sounds like it'd be right up your alley - adult slurpees are awesome on a hot day and since you can walk around with an open container you an sip and stroll!
Depending on where you'd end up, being less than an hour from the beach is pretty cool - Tybee is much smaller than Ocean City but still fun.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:13 PM

89 posts, read 86,579 times
I'd suggest before you make your decision go down more than a few times. Go in the dead of summer. Experience a taste of each season. Look at various areas to see where you'd like to live. Look at the employment opportunities in the area for your profession.

We go about once every 3 months to look at neighborhoods, what is around, etc.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:27 PM

50,423 posts, read 64,185,923 times
Working outside in the summer here is very hard, unless you have been acclimated to it, because of the humidity. Otherwise, twenty-somethings have fun here.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:29 PM

The humidity is pretty bad up here so I feel like that wouldn't be an issue. I think I'm gonna visit one time in July/August and than one time in the winter than make my decision. Thanks everyone for the comments appreciate it. And Wet Willies sounds awesome lol

Old 06-07-2016, 08:38 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,968,250 times
I can't speak for drilling jobs but as others have mentioned there are several oil and gas companies here that are hiring. Also, with expirence in heavy industry you may be qualified to work at any number of businesses in our area.

Cost of living is much less (though I wouldn't call it "cheap"). And Savannah is famous for its nightlife. Alcohol flows liberally here and downtown is a zoo on weekends. Bars for blocks and everybody just wanders around with drinks in their hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area