Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 12:49 PM

474 posts, read 587,519 times

Advertisements

According to the Planning and Zoning Commission's May 23rd and June 13th agendas, Lidl is planning a store in Pooler. The site is currently the wooded area on Park Avenue behind the former Cancun / proposed Dunkin Donuts. This is directly across from Publix's existing store at Pooler Marketplace.

Lidl is a German grocery store, similar but somewhat more upscale and larger than Aldi. They've recently built a distribution center in North Carolina and are aggressively expanding in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.

Looks like Food Lion and Bi-Lo need to step up their game. With Bi-Lo closing more stores than they're opening in the Savannah CSRA and Hilton Head Metro, I'd be surprised if the Pooler store remains open much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 12:56 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
According to the Planning and Zoning Commission's May 23rd and June 13th agendas, Lidl is planning a store in Pooler. The site is currently the wooded area on Park Avenue behind the former Cancun / proposed Dunkin Donuts. This is directly across from Publix's existing store at Pooler Marketplace.

Lidl is a German grocery store, similar but somewhat more upscale and larger than Aldi. They've recently built a distribution center in North Carolina and are aggressively expanding in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.

Looks like Food Lion and Bi-Lo need to step up their game. With Bi-Lo closing more stores than they're opening in the Savannah CSRA and Hilton Head Metro, I'd be surprised if the Pooler store remains open much longer.
That is indeed a really juicy scoop! I am not familiar with Lidl, but I've been to Aldi. I think it is interesting that the Aldi's/Lidl stores seem to build right next to popular upscale stores.

So, I just looked up Lidl and they look a lot like the new Lucky's store. I hope they don't have that annoying quarter-to-unlock-the grocery cart-thing like Aldi's.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:21 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post

Limited assortment/discount grocer Lidl is in the process of constructing its Alamance County, North Carolina, distribution center. It has secured sites and announced future stores in Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia with more to follow. These stores are projected to open in 2018.

Food Lion and Bi-Lo have ran their courses in the Savannah area. I do not project their stores to be open in several years.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:45 AM

89 posts, read 86,285 times
We use Aldi up here for over half our shopping and I was disappointed that we'll lose it when we relocate. This however sounds great! We aren't moving till 2018 so I guess we shall see if Lidl becomes our substitute!

Old 06-11-2016, 11:36 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMaddoxRox View Post
We use Aldi up here for over half our shopping and I was disappointed that we'll lose it when we relocate. This however sounds great! We aren't moving till 2018 so I guess we shall see if Lidl becomes our substitute!
I don't know why Aldi is not in Savannah yet. They have stores all over the rest of Georgia. We do have Lucky's Market whch a lot of people seem to like.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:03 PM

89 posts, read 86,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I don't know why Aldi is not in Savannah yet. They have stores all over the rest of Georgia. We do have Lucky's Market whch a lot of people seem to like.
I hope Aldi gets its butt in gear and opens a store down there! The amount of $$ we save on food there is substantial. Publix and Kroger are pretty comparable to the "regular" grocery stores around here.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:46 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Aldi is not in Savannah yet? That is a surprise. I doubt Chatham County will remain an Aldi desert in the foreseeable future.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:32 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
The LIDL site plan was just approved at the last meeting, so hopefully it will get going quickly.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:38 PM

450 posts, read 461,588 times
I heard through the grapevine that Aldi is scouting a possible location in Pooler. I did a little research, these look like smaller stores around 15,000 sq. ft. versus the 45,000 for the new Publix and the giant Kroger Marketplace at 140,000. What are these stores like? Is it true you have to pay to get a shopping cart and get your money returned when you put it back?

Old 07-27-2016, 07:34 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,742,664 times
Well, it's not a major investment--a quarter--and it's a great way to get people to return their carts (as opposed to leaving them all over the parking lot).

I've only been to the Aldi near me once. They remind me of Big Lots, as they take advantage of good buys on certain products, and have shelves where the merchandise constantly shifts/changes. Invariably the products are store brands as opposed to nationally advertised brands (thus the low price), though you see a few familiar things mixed in. Some basic staples are always there (bread, milk, etc.) but a lot of other things like snacks, produce, drinks and canned goods typically come and go as they get a good deal. It's not the kind of place where you take a shopping list and expect to find everything you need, and if you are brand-loyal you might be greatly disappointed. This is more like a hunting expedition-type store, where you go with the hope of stumbling upon a really good deal (and usually do).

Other interesting touches: the cashiers get to sit in chairs, and they don't bag anything. You bring your own bags (reusables, or just plastic bags you got somewhere else) and bag it yourself. They might sell bags--I've heard they do, but didn't see anyone buy one when I was there. I like that concept, since people get snippy if their bags aren't packed just the way they want them packed. As mentioned earlier, you also 'rent' a shopping cart. You drop a quarter into a slot that unlocks the cart, and when you push the cart back into the mechanism, you get a quarter back. Again, a great touch that gives people motivation to return the carts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area