Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 05:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,962,158 times

Advertisements

Blue skies and sun just came out -- still no power and probably no power back on until tomorrow considering how big the outages are. Islands are completely in the dark going on 12 hours now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 08:35 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,719,917 times
Thunderbolt longer than that according to friend of mine.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:38 PM

As I'm sure all of us from up north would say .."sure beats shovling the white stuff". In fact I forgot how to spell shoving and I couldn't care less. lol

Old 09-02-2016, 08:47 PM

Early today the weather channel was reporting live from River street (and later from Forsyth Park.The Mayor did a good job in telling people to come on down and enjoy Savannah. "storm will pass, we have plenty of football to watch and lots of rooms...". Suave.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:26 PM

Still no power. WTOC (per the rumor mill) is saying it may be tomorrow night. ARGH!!!!

Old 09-03-2016, 12:23 AM

975 posts, read 1,153,098 times
Unimpressed with the speed and effort behind the governmental response. Grid is down in Thunderbolt and on Wilmington Island, as reported. Several busy intersections didn't have stop signs placed for many hours, even after dark. Few police around on busy thoroughfares, too. It's a little scary that a stiff wind can so quickly reveal stupid shortcomings like no battery-operated warning lights on temporary stop signs. You can't tell me that no one in Thunderbolt town hall ever thought the power might go out, and perhaps folks on US Hwy. 80 probably shouldn't be expected to rely solely on their headlights to illuminate dark intersections.

Just imagine what an actual hurricane would do. I'm now convinced that I'll leave with any future recommended evacuation. CEMA and the town councils need to get their act together.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:36 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,987,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Unimpressed with the speed and effort behind the governmental response. Grid is down in Thunderbolt and on Wilmington Island, as reported. Several busy intersections didn't have stop signs placed for many hours, even after dark. Few police around on busy thoroughfares, too. It's a little scary that a stiff wind can so quickly reveal stupid shortcomings like no battery-operated warning lights on temporary stop signs. You can't tell me that no one in Thunderbolt town hall ever thought the power might go out, and perhaps folks on US Hwy. 80 probably shouldn't be expected to rely solely on their headlights to illuminate dark intersections.

Just imagine what an actual hurricane would do. I'm now convinced that I'll leave with any future recommended evacuation. CEMA and the town councils need to get their act together.
Are you really that surprised by this? I mean, considering the corruption and good ole boy politics in the entire area..

Old 09-03-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post

I stayed out late last night hoping to come hone to good news. Not to be. Driving onto Wilmigton Island at 2 am into PITCH BLACK DARKNESS was indeed scary -- not a police car or emergency vehicle in sight. This was especially troubling considering how many trees were down and how much debris was still in the roads -- HOURS AFTER THE STORM HAD PASSES! I saw no power crews.

Laying on my couch last night with the windows opened ... and complete and total SILENCE! Not even the BUGS were making a peep. Creepy ... eerie .... and kinda nice all at the same time.

Power finally kicked back on around 6 am ... then went off ... then came back on for good around 7. The shock of the noise alone was enough to wake you! Cable and Internet finally came back on around 2 pm I'd guess (dunno -- I was asleep on the couch and the TV just all the sudden roared to life!).

On the 7 pm local news I was *shocked* to hear how many intown neighborhoods still lacked power -- and might not get it until Monday.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:33 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,619,887 times
Live out in Coffee Bluff, only lost power for about 2 minutes yesterday. Internet was up the entire time.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
live out in coffee bluff, only lost power for about 2 minutes yesterday. Internet was up the entire time.
boooo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area