Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:33 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by storch12 View Post
My options for job relocation are Savannah, Tampa and possibly West Palm Beach, FL....I was leaning towards Savannah
I think Savannah is the better choice of these three. (Not a fan of the heat and humidity myself--lol.)

I lived on Whitemarsh/Wilmington and really liked this location. There are a couple of places to shop on Wilmington Island --groceries, drug stores etc and a new Walmart--I left in the early 90's--new to me. )

There are two malls or perhaps more now --headed South from downtown.

Lots of good food. I've read a number of posts about ethnic restaurants--couldn't find them or I would post a link. They are 'here and there'.

If you can visit for a week and drive around I think it would be time well spent.

bhs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 04:28 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
For a look at how diverse Savannah is, check out this City-Data link. Scroll down to find the percentages of the various ethnic groups.

Savannah, Georgia (GA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

You will find that the site calls Wimington Island, a city. It isn't. It, and some of the other listings are communities within the county, but without a separate governmental system that makes it a "city."

Old 03-11-2008, 06:04 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Still looking for food/restaurant threads. (Always hoping to visit Savannah again--especially around this time of year--just before the magnificent burst of color--almost too beautiful ...)

I found this thread--poster from VA--this might be of some help to you.

Go Here>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/savan...x-reviews.html

and
Diversity>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/savan...-savannah.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/savan...hborhoods.html

bhs

Last edited by TakeAhike; 03-11-2008 at 06:31 PM..

Old 03-17-2008, 09:43 AM

61 posts, read 209,207 times
So downtown would be a descent area?
I have heard about a lot of new development going on in and near downtown? Are there any specific nice area's in downtown to stay? Townhomes/Condo's

Old 03-17-2008, 04:04 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Yes, lots of condos and apartments are available right now. With the downturn in the economy, a number of property owners have found that they need to rent out units that they intended to sell. Rental prices have not inflated to the degree that purchase prices have, for the most part.

I'm not sure what would be the best way for you to locate a place, but searching the local paper savannahnow.com might be a good way to start.

You might enjoy living in the historic district, which is what most people mean when they say downtown. Parts of the Victorian district, which is immediately south of the historic district, are also stable and are probably no more dangerous. Like I've written many times, Savannah is hit or miss. You need a bit of experience living here to know what's what. It can't be surmised in a simple post on a forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area