Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:09 PM

50,416 posts, read 64,161,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
So awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 05:56 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,264,161 times
Terrible. Many other (disproportionately)southern cities suffer through this same senseless violence. I don't have the answer, but we know what doesn't work: ignoring it, prayer without action, working in silos ( it's a school issue, a police issue, a particular race problem, a that part of town problem, etc), race-blaming, throwing people in jail to just be released back into the same community, etc. It really is an issue that should concern all. "It" won't stay in Yamacraw, or downtown, or "over there". An acquaintance of mine posted on social media..."That's why I live on Wilmington..." That attitude is not helpful and if the tourists left...everyone would suffer economically...even on the islands. So sad. I do hope the vacant police positions are filled--not privy to the local politics, but it can't hurt.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:40 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,963,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Terrible. Many other (disproportionately)southern cities suffer through this same senseless violence. I don't have the answer, but we know what doesn't work: ignoring it, prayer without action, working in silos ( it's a school issue, a police issue, a particular race problem, a that part of town problem, etc), race-blaming, throwing people in jail to just be released back into the same community, etc. It really is an issue that should concern all. "It" won't stay in Yamacraw, or downtown, or "over there". An acquaintance of mine posted on social media..."That's why I live on Wilmington..." That attitude is not helpful and if the tourists left...everyone would suffer economically...even on the islands. So sad. I do hope the vacant police positions are filled--not privy to the local politics, but it can't hurt.
Let me clarify ... I named this thread "PRAY FOR SAVANNAH" not because I think faith in some higher power is the solution to the problem, but because I know how painful and far-reaching the negativity of these kinds of incidents can be on the psyche of the city. Bad boys gonna be bad boys, and history has shown that no amount of intervention, education, policing or social services can prevent some people from doing bad things. It's just a reality. But as a community, we can't let such incidents -- no matter how horrific -- stop us from trying. I do believe the leadership of this city takes these kinds of things very personal and seriously. Why wouldn't they? This is their home too. NOBODY has a blind-eye toward crime and NOBODY simply tolerates crime, unless they are the ones doing crime themselves.

So at this time we need to be grateful that as bad as this was, it could have been worse. Four people were shot but none of them died. If not for the chase and crash, there'd have been no fatalities presumably -- and only one of those was an innocent civilian THANK GOD! And 2 of the suspects were killed, so there is that.

Will this affect Savannah tourism? Nope. Not one bit. No amount of crime in Savannah thus far has affected tourism. This incident didn't even make the Atlanta news much less the national news. Everybody knows that New Oreans is one of the most violent cities, yet millions of tourists still go there. Savannah is no different. I met and hung out with some tourists over the holiday weekend and texted them this morning. They said these kinds of things happen back home and everywhere else and don't reflect negatively on Savannah. They said they'll be back.

And that, in a nutshell, is Savannah's greatest strength: Violent crime does not define us to the world, our natural beautiful, historic squares, attractions, fine restaurants and nightlife do. Along with our charming nature and genuinely friendly people do. But sometimes we are our own worst enemies. I pray the citizens and leadership of this city don't give up the faith nor forget what makes us great. Negativity and fear will destroy us otherwise.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:46 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,264,161 times
Whoa. Never meant my prayer without action comment to offend. I get what you're saying. I obviously don't know Savannah like you, but the violent crime issue isn't unique to just Savannah.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:59 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,963,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
This incident didn't even make the Atlanta news much less the national news.
Channel 2 carried it.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Whoa. Never meant my prayer without action comment to offend. I get what you're saying. I obviously don't know Savannah like you, but the violent crime issue isn't unique to just Savannah.
Oh I wasn't offended, just wanted to clarify. I posted the same thing on Facebook and some people mocked it. I can understand where they're coming from. For years, when these things happen, people will react by marching in the streets for peace, holding candlelight vigils and asking for the Good Lord's blessings. None of that stuff does one iota to fix the problem, it only makes everybody affected somehow feel better about themselves.

Again, don't get me wrong -- I'm a person of faith and believe in the positive power of prayer. But "praying the problem away" will never work. What we need is to pray for clarity and guidance and just plain common sense, so that rumors and rhetoric and hate speech and division doesn't make the problem worse.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Channel 2 carried it.
I looked and didn't see anything. Asked family and they'd not seen anything.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:26 AM

When I talk about how this is a heavy burden shared by an entire city -- an entire community -- this is what I'm talking about. If you're on Facebook, these posts by Ruel Joyner have some very good comments that reflect what a lot of people are feeling and saying. May this be a turning point?

https://www.facebook.com/ruel.joyner...13581774008864

https://www.facebook.com/ruel.joyner...13588165368644

Last edited by Newsboy; 07-06-2017 at 01:52 AM..

Old 07-06-2017, 05:29 AM

23,509 posts, read 44,182,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I looked and didn't see anything. Asked family and they'd not seen anything.
I saw it, too. Made me sick to my stomach.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:59 AM

50,416 posts, read 64,161,814 times
I disagree with the person on FB who said we need more cops and cameras. As someone said in the paper, they had 70 officers in the area, and they have the SUV on camera. How would more officers and more cameras have changed anything?

To me, these things are not the answer, because they don't get at the heart of the problem, and we all know what the heart of the problem is. The black community needs to help get rid of the gangs. They know who the dangerous people are, but they protect them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area