Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 12:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,548 times

Advertisements

I have been pouring over this site for a while, browsing the numerous "best areas" threads. The problem I am having is that I seem to have different wants than most of these postings, hence creating this thread.

Let me give a little background. I was born and raised in a very tiny town (pop. 1200). I have lived in a large city (Orlando), smaller cities (Toledo, OH - about 250,00), and even smaller cities (50,000-80,000). While I have been the victim of theft on quite a few occasions, I have never been subjected to violent crime to myself or anywhere remotely close to the areas I have lived (to my knowledge, that is). Call it luck or a blessing. I have never been afraid or uncomfortable to go out alone at 2am to get groceries in any of these areas.

I am in the process of interviewing with a company located in Pooler. That being said, a description of my lifestyle may be easier to assist responders. I am mid-30's, SWM. I am not a social butterfly (though I am not a hermit either). I don't have to have something to do all the time. I don't care about walking to shops/restaurants, walking around the block, etc. I don't care about the beach. I prefer the quiet, relaxed, suburban life. I will take safety and peace of mind over tons of things to do any day of the week. The area around Pooler seems to have groceries, restaurants, and a few gyms, if I am not mistaken. Yes, I may venture to the city/downtown/beach on occasion, but not so often worth living downtown/midtown/east side Savannah. I do not have children, so schools are irrelevant at this point. I plan to rent, nothing more than a 2bdrm. House, townhouse, condo, whatever.

I guess I am trying to get more information on the areas closer to Pooler than I am the areas near the city. Or anything within 20-30 minutes in regards to commute time, groceries, restaurants, and gyms.

Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 12:41 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Just live in Pooler.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:30 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Just live in Pooler.
Yes. Fortunately, the OP's workplace is located in a community that will give him everything that he is looking for.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:21 AM

779 posts, read 972,680 times
You can find everything you don't want in Effingham County and be reasonably close to everything you don't need everyday.

Last edited by counterclockwise; 07-12-2017 at 09:31 AM..

Old 07-12-2017, 10:06 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,108,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterclockwise View Post
You can find everything you don't want in Effingham County and be reasonably close to everything you don't need everyday.
To me, Effingham is to be avoided. There are far better places in and around Savannah-Chatham to live. I'd rather live in Camden, NJ than "the Ham". Yes, I know where Camden is -- right across the water from Philly, where I went to grad school.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:32 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
To me, Effingham is to be avoided. There are far better places in and around Savannah-Chatham to live. I'd rather live in Camden, NJ than "the Ham". Yes, I know where Camden is -- right across the water from Philly, where I went to grad school.
Effingham really isn't that bad a place to live if you got a family and kids. Single people would be bored out of their minds. It's got everything you need except a movie theater or mall, but people go to Pooler for that. There are some REALLY nice neighborhoods in Rincon and South Effingham, all hugging the Chatham County line. In fact, Port Wentworth and Rincon are pretty much one big mass of humanity now. You can't really tell where Chatham stops and Effingham begins. I think they call that sprawl?

Old 07-12-2017, 02:36 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,108,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Effingham really isn't that bad a place to live if you got a family and kids. Single people would be bored out of their minds. It's got everything you need except a movie theater ... There are some REALLY nice neighborhoods in Rincon and South Effingham
I've been there, NB. And you'll find "nice neighborhoods" everywhere -- every US exurban area has them. Effingham's are bland and cookie-cutter, are isolated into 99% non-walking subdivisions, deathly boring for teenagers, there's a serious methamphetamine problem among adults, terrible roads and a high road-accident rate. You're better off in Chatham Country or Bryan County. Effingham public schools have better test results than Savannah-Chatham only because Savh-Chathm schools have so many poor minority students who read three years below grade level. That doesn't mean Effingham schools are good -- they're mediocre (at best) and well below standards in the Northeast/New England.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:11 PM

450 posts, read 461,588 times
Pooler will be great for you. It has what you want and is close to work. You will hear a lot about traffic, 10 minutes in two lane "traffic" isn't a big deal to me. I lived in DC and this isn't traffic.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,548 times
Thanks for the advice so far!

What areas tend to be the least expensive housing wise (remember, will be renting for at least the first year) in Pooler or around there? I paid about $1200/month for my 2bd, 2bath in Orlando.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:27 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utpse81 View Post
Thanks for the advice so far!

What areas tend to be the least expensive housing wise (remember, will be renting for at least the first year) in Pooler or around there? I paid about $1200/month for my 2bd, 2bath in Orlando.
Godley Station is filled with singles in their 20s/30s and super affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area