Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 06:23 AM

13,704 posts, read 21,993,958 times

Advertisements

In a blockbuster announcement, Morris Communications Corp out of Augusta has sold all its newspaper holdings -- including its flagship Augusta Chronicle -- to GateHouse Media, of Perinton, NY. In addition to the Morning News and Chronicle, the sale includes the daily papers in Athens, Jacksonville, Topeka, Amarillo, Lubbock and Juneau (along with 3 others), several weeklies and shoppers.

Morris will retain ownership of Savannah Magazine and the SMN printing and distribution facility on Chatham Parkway (presumably under some type of lease agreement). I'm assuming this also retains the long-term leases for WJCL ABC 22 and WTGS Fox 28 which have their studios inside the SMN building.

In an unusual arrangement, William S. “Billy” Morris III, chairman of Morris Communications, will remain as publisher of The Augusta Chronicle and will oversee editorial-page policy for the three Morris newspapers in Georgia. The Morris family has owned the Augusta paper since 1929 and this is a way for them to continue thier influence in state political affairs.

I'm not too familiar with GateHouse other than to know it has a lousy reputation, and it's too early to say what this might mean for the local paper in the long run. According to Wikipedia they own 97 daily newspapers nationwide (not counting the 11 Morris dailies) but most of them appear to be very small and in rural areas. The Morris papers will be among their largest (if not the largest) papers in the group. Don't expect to see a lot of positive changes in the local paper. It could in fact get MUCH worse. But I hope I'm wrong.

More when it becomes available ...

Morris Announces Sale of Publications to Gatehouse Media. - Morris Communications

Savannah Morning News sold to new owners

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-09-2017 at 06:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 07:46 AM

50,459 posts, read 64,317,889 times
I enjoy the paper, but I'd welcome an excuse to save $30.00+ a month. I wonder when the change will become evident?

Old 08-09-2017, 08:51 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,125,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
In an unusual arrangement, William S. “Billy” Morris III, chairman of Morris Communications, will remain as publisher of The Augusta Chronicle and will oversee editorial-page policy for the three Morris newspapers in Georgia. The Morris family has owned the Augusta paper since 1929 and this is a way for them to continue thier influence in state political affairs.
As usual in the miserable history of the Savannah Morning News (a paper I've read since my kiddie days), it never gets better -- it just gets worse. And of course "Billy" Morris (we keep our "good ole boy" nicknames till we're buried in Bonaventure) will preserve the SMN's neo-Confederate "editorial-page policy" intact. What a hoot.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:02 AM

23,562 posts, read 44,258,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
As usual in the miserable history of the Savannah Morning News (a paper I've read since my kiddie days), it never gets better -- it just gets worse. And of course "Billy" Morris (let's keep our "good ole boy" nickname till we're buried in Bonaventure) will retain the SMN's neo-Confederate "editorial-page policy" intact. What a hoot.
When did 'Billy' become a good ole boy nickname? Half the male population of North America goes by that.
Somebody better notify these guys.

Famous people named Billy , Celebrities named Billy

Old 08-09-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
When did 'Billy' become a good ole boy nickname? Half the male population of North America goes by that.
Somebody better notify these guys.

Famous people named Billy , Celebrities named Billy
For older, educated men, such nicknames are still much more of a southern thing. There are very few Billy/Jimmy/Johnny senators, businessmen, lawyers, and journalists outside the Deep South. For ex., you'll almost never meet 50-year-old men named "Dickie," except in the South.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:52 PM

23,562 posts, read 44,258,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
For older, educated men, such nicknames are still much more of a southern thing. There are very few Billy/Jimmy/Johnny senators, businessmen, lawyers, and journalists outside the Deep South. For ex., you'll almost never meet 50-year-old men named "Dickie," except in the South.
I was raised in Georgia and have spent most of my life here. I certainly couldn't say such a thing with any degree of authority.
BTW, my Rhode Island brother-in-law went by "Dickie".

Old 08-09-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I was raised in Georgia and have spent most of my life here. I certainly couldn't say such a thing with any degree of authority.
BTW, my Rhode Island brother-in-law went by "Dickie".
Fair enough. I just think that these childhood nicknames are used far less in an official capacity in my neck of the woods. There are very few officially "Dickie/Johnny/Billy" politicians, surgeons, or university professors up here (used outside the family/close friends circle, I mean). There are a lot fewer "Dickie/Johnny/Billy" Parkways, Avenues, and Boulevards, too.

Back to the SMN: it's always had a challenge becoming anything close to a "quality newspaper." This latest news from News isn't great news.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:03 PM

13,704 posts, read 21,993,958 times
The future does not look bright. It fact it looks downright depressing.

GateHouse Media’s utter disregard for quality journalism | United Media Guild

Old 08-09-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The future does not look bright. It fact it looks downright depressing.

GateHouse Media’s utter disregard for quality journalism | United Media Guild
Awful -- there are really no words. Savannah deserves much better.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:41 PM

779 posts, read 975,593 times
Investors take note. Gatehouse Media Inc. Stock symbol GHSE $0.0320. (3.2 Cents)

Last edited by counterclockwise; 08-09-2017 at 08:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: