Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:24 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
If the bill does pass it will be by a thin margin and knowing how the people are on Skidaway, most city services would be privatized with the execption of the city hall operations. Also I'm sure they wouldn't have their own police and fire and would still rely on the county. As for the rest of the islands, I don't see a cityhood push gaining much traction, especially when the Chatham county delegation is push the Savannah-Chatham merger and even the county commission chairman is on board. When it comes to Georgetown trying to become a city, I don't see that happening because quite frankly there haven't been any calls in the past for the area to become a city. Also the race factor must be brought into the discussion. Georgetown is far more diverse than the islands and I doubt many of the black folks in Georgetown or the rest of unincorporated western and southern Chatham County would be opposed to a city-county merger. Finally, as for the three cities in western Chatham that would be impacted by as potential merger, I'm sure some sort of deal would be worked out so that they could grab some extra pieces of land before the door is closed on annexation for good by the merger. In many ways Chatham somewhat resembles Fulton County when it comes to it political layout and I have a feeling that just like Fulton, Chatham will be filled with incorporated cities by the end of the decade and have no unincorporated land left.
You make some really great points, AF -- sensible and logical. (Also, Georgetown probably can't incorporate for all the reasons you say.) Still, when it comes to "metro government," Chatham County folks have never been very sensible, or even sane.

One county commissioner sends out feelers that he's open to a study of Savannah-Chatham consolidation, and the next thing we see are page-one headlines about Skidaway becoming a city? And yesterday, a community meeting is called for the other islands to debate the incorporation of a second city? This is NUTS. Perhaps they should go it alone, and I think Skidaway probably will. The islands are where most all the opposition to city-county consolidation is. Let them become independent cities like Pooler. Then they won't get to vote in the Savannah-Chatham referendum and that will help it pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 08:56 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
You make some really great points, AF -- sensible and logical. (Also, Georgetown probably can't incorporate for all the reasons you say.) Still, when it comes to "metro government," Chatham County folks have never been very sensible, or even sane.

One county commissioner sends out feelers that he's open to a study of Savannah-Chatham consolidation, and the next thing we see are page-one headlines about Skidaway becoming a city? And yesterday, a community meeting is called for the other islands to debate the incorporation of a second city? This is NUTS. Perhaps they should go it alone, and I think Skidaway probably will. The islands are where most all the opposition to city-county consolidation is. Let them become independent cities like Pooler. Then they won't get to vote in the Savannah-Chatham referendum and that will help it pass.
You make some good points Mason, its funny how the island communities all of a sudden want to become cities. I think at this point in time its almost guaranteed that Savannah and unincorporated Chatham will merge. It has been one of the top priorities of the chamber of commerce and the local legislative delegation for a couple of years now, heck even the county commission chairman is for the idea. I think the funding for the study will be approved this legislative session and of course it will be deemed feasible. It will probably go before the voters in 2019 and be approved.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:22 PM

450 posts, read 462,004 times
I dont think consolidation will pass a vote. I think you you will see Skidaway and the Islands incorporate. Then some large single property owner areas of the westside will annex into Garden City, Bloomingdale, Pooler and Savannah. The hold outs will be the Georgetown area and Southbridge although Southbridge as already looked at Pooler, Garden City and Savannah. I just don't see any area wanting to be part of the City of Savannah. I think Chatham will end up like Fulton County.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:01 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times
Just as I figured, the folks on the Islands don't want to be apart of a consolidated Savannah-Chatham County. I believe both a study for the Islands cityhood and Savannah-Chatham consolidation will be pushed and approved this lesgislative session, with either fall 2018 or fall 2019 being the times chosen for the votes. I still believe that just like Fulton, Chatham will be entirely incorporated cities by the end of the decade.

Quote:
It was standing room only at the Frank Murray Community Center on Whitemarsh Island Tuesday night, where residents living on the unincorporated islands east of the Wilmington River signaled they’re ready to consider forming their own city.

The yeas far outnumbered the nays when organizers of the meeting called for a consensus vote on whether Oatland, Talahi, Whitemarsh and Wilmington islands should examine incorporation. Now, spokesmen for the four islands will petition their representatives in the Georgia Legislature to authorize some $30,000 in state funding next year to conduct a study into whether forming a city from these unincorporated Chatham County communities makes sense.
Quote:
Although it appeared that the bulk of the island residents who attended the day-after-Christmas meeting were in support of at least studying the idea of incorporation, not everyone in attendance thought the proposal was necessary. Some referred to a study conducted in the mid-1980s by resident Bobby Phillips as evidence that incorporation is too costly. One resident, Steve Aldrich, said the islands might do better under a consolidated Savannah-Chatham government — an idea that was swiftly drowned out by a chorus of “No!”
Oatland, Talahi, Whitemarsh and Wilmington islands residents push for incorporation study | SavannahNow

Old 12-28-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Just as I figured, the folks on the Islands don't want to be apart of a consolidated Savannah-Chatham County. I believe both a study for the Islands cityhood and Savannah-Chatham consolidation will be pushed and approved this lesgislative session, with either fall 2018 or fall 2019 being the times chosen for the votes. I still believe that just like Fulton, Chatham will be entirely incorporated cities by the end of the decade.

Oatland, Talahi, Whitemarsh and Wilmington islands residents push for incorporation study | SavannahNow

Agree. It's also clear that unincorporated Chatham won't continue as a local government, or doesn't want to continue, and that a Columbus/Augusta/Macon/Athens merger solution was in the works for Savannah. People on the islands got the message (did they ever) and are acting on it. Skidaway Island (9,000 residents) and the other islands (28,000) are populous enough to become viable cities, and that could make Savannah's merger with the rest of the unincorporated county far easier. You mentioned a few carve-outs of land tracts for Pooler and Port Wentworth, and that might be necessary too. This is all quite a shakeup. I never saw it coming -- at least not this fast and furious.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:45 PM

474 posts, read 587,976 times
Anyone know what the combined name of the the islands would be? Hopefully it won’t be something silly like “The Islands, GA.”

Old 12-29-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
Anyone know what the combined name of the the islands would be? Hopefully it won’t be something silly like “The Islands, GA.”
I think East Savannah would be nice, although there's an ethical problem (a town that doesn't want to be part of Savannah shouldn't trade on its famous name). But the new name will probably be something bland and "modern golf-club suburb" like The Islands, GA.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:43 AM

474 posts, read 587,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
I think East Savannah would be nice, although there's an ethical problem (a town that doesn't want to be part of Savannah shouldn't trade on its famous name). But the new name will probably be something bland and "modern golf-club suburb" like The Islands, GA.
Reminds me of "The Colony" outside of Dallas.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
Reminds me of "The Colony" outside of Dallas.
Perfect example -- it's awful but typical of Sun Belt suburban names. Your guess about "The Islands, GA" is so good I'd never bet my hard-earned money against it.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:17 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Folks, Savannah-Chatham County will not see consolditaton. Rather, all portions of currently unincorporated Chatham County will eventually become annexed by existing cities or incorporated into new cities, as has happened to the entirety of Fulton and is about to happen in Dekalb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area