Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 06:08 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,067,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
Also goes to show you, why Savannah area is consistently preventing itself from being a bigger player than it is.

The absurdity in geopolitics. Pooler and Co. love what Savannah brings and offers to them, but want nothing to do in assisting Savannah as a whole thrive and continue to grow. They'll ride Savannah's coattails all day long that's for sure as long as they benefit financially but still want to tell themselves they can stand on their own two feet and toe to toe with Savannah. The Cooler in Pooler stuff is borderline cringe because to me it's seems more than just a marketing tagline. It's Pooler's leadership convincing themselves they are better and don't need Savannah.

Just a microcosm of the Deep South in general. The Red States in the Deep South receive the most money from Uncle Sam, yet are always trashing the blue states that pay the most money to Uncle Sam that end up going to them. The hypocrisy and irony is so sad and funny on so many levels that I wish it weren't. Savannah/Chatham could be so much more. Maybe one day I'll be alive to see that period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
I agree with all that, unfortunately. I don't know if it's Deep South stuff or not, because paranoid schizophrenia in the State of Chatham has a big role. Charleston County's municipalities sure seem proud of (and cooperative with) the City of Charleston. I cannot picture Goose Creek or Summerville refusing to cooperate with "Historic Charleston 1670" signs, but I sure as hell can picture Pooler, Bloomingdale, Port Wentworth, Garden City, and the unincorporated county standing in the way of signage (and much more) for Savannah.
I know y'all see that huge elephant right in front of your faces...do I need to say what it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 08:17 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,179,873 times
I guess I will be the one that states the obvisious. While population wise, Savannah and Charleston proper are similar. Charleston is whiter, wealthier and more educated than Savannah. The folks out on the islands and west Chatham dont want to be associated with big, bad, black Savannah, but dont mind using all of the prestige that Savannah brings to the area for their own gain I hope with all the newcomers coming to the area that this mindset changes.

Last edited by Airforceguy; 10-21-2018 at 08:45 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,117,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I know y'all see that huge elephant right in front of your faces...do I need to say what it is?
We know what it is, darlin': race and class, especially the former. We've discussed it countless times in detail, in no uncertain terms. It's magnified by Chatham County's historically numerous separate communities and municipalities (for such a modest size and population -- that's also important). Lots of these communites have grown exponentially in size since the 1990s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I guess I will be the one that states the obvisious. While population wise, Savannah and Charleston proper are similar. Charleston is whiter, wealthier and more educated than Savannah. The folks out on the islands and west Chatham dont want to be associated with big, bad, black Savannah, but dont mind using all of the prestige that Savannah brings to the area for their own gain I hope with all the newcomers coming to the area that this mindset changes.
You said it all, AF -- no sweet talk, no euphemism. Also, Charleston has been thoroughly gentrified since the time I visited my aunt/uncle there as a kid (late 1960s), with many black CHS families having been priced out. So many have moved further up the peninsula. Savannah is four decades behind in this but is gentrifying fast between the river and Victory Drive. I believe that the City of Pooler has become a truly poisonous adversary of Savannah. With only 600 people when I graduated from high school, Pooler now has 27,000. It's much more powerful and is out to get Savannah. It sunk consolidation in 2001, and is trying to again, even though Pooler would remain independent from a city-county merger.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 10-22-2018 at 08:58 AM..

Old 10-22-2018, 04:55 PM

450 posts, read 463,666 times
While Pooler may be the poisonous adversary currently, the two real monsters that have stopped consolidation of the city and county are poised to vote and become their own cities. The Islands whom raised all of their consolidation study money and the City of Skidaway Island. The Islands will actually be a little bigger than Pooler initially and Skidaway has a tremendous amount of pull and $$$.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
While Pooler may be the poisonous adversary currently, the two real monsters that have stopped consolidation of the city and county are poised to vote and become their own cities. The Islands whom raised all of their consolidation study money and the City of Skidaway Island. The Islands will actually be a little bigger than Pooler initially and Skidaway has a tremendous amount of pull and $$$.
Personally, I support the cityhood movements of the island communites. The less opposition to a city-county consolidation the better. Let them find out that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I think Georgetown, Isle of Hope and smaller unincorporated communities on the south and eastsides wouldnt put up much opposition to consolidation. On the westside, only Pooler and Garden City would present any opposition as Bloomingdale is too cheap to provide sewer services to any unincorporated communities in west Chatham and Port Wentworth is basically "land-locked".

Old 10-23-2018, 07:44 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,117,352 times
Quote:
Personally, I support the cityhood movements of the island communites. The less opposition to a city-county consolidation the better. Let them find out that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I think Georgetown, Isle of Hope and smaller unincorporated communities on the south and eastsides wouldnt put up much opposition to consolidation. On the westside, only Pooler and Garden City would present any opposition as Bloomingdale is too cheap to provide sewer services to any unincorporated communities in west Chatham and Port Wentworth is basically "land-locked".
Your analysis sounds right. Better for the islands to stay as they like it -- isolated and independent -- otherwise they'll be a thorn in Savannah's side like Pooler and Garden City. The latter two are the problem: their mayors, city councils, and state representatives work behind the scenes against Savannah in general (and consolidation in particular). They are toxic adversaries.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:11 PM

Another update on the I-16/I-95 Interchange project. According to a news story on WSAV, instead of building two flyover ramps, GDOT will be a turbine interchange. It will be the first of its kind in Georgia and will be similar to the I-85/I-485 interchange in Charlotte,NC.

Quote:
Renditions show those plans have slightly changed. Instead of replacing existing ramps with flyover ramps, the construction company -- Reeves Construction Company -- is now building a turbine ramp.

It's the first of its kind in the state of Georgia and a way to reduce costs.
https://www.wsav.com/news/local-news...ect/1546291473

Old 10-25-2018, 06:59 PM

643 posts, read 847,325 times
Quote:
Another update on the I-16/I-95 Interchange project. According to a news story on WSAV, instead of building two flyover ramps, GDOT will be a turbine interchange. It will be the first of its kind in Georgia and will be similar to the I-85/I-485 interchange in Charlotte,NC.

https://www.wsav.com/news/local-news...ect/1546291473
So a little confused. We're not getting the nice looking one in the picture rendering posted from the other day? A different design?

Old 10-25-2018, 07:01 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,986,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
So a little confused. We're not getting the nice looking one in the picture rendering posted from the other day? A different design?
We are. Airforce beat the news in reporting. Good job.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:44 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,960,055 times
After examining the drawing closely I notice that there’s a huge sound barrier wall running from I-95 all along the length of I-16 and South Bridge (which they demanded) as well as what appears to be a barrier wall running alongside the mega site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area