Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 11:23 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Talk about stores in general, I am kind of surprised there isn't an Apple store around (not that I personally need it, but figure they would do well) and only one Best Buy.

Let's face it, aside from major anchor stores in malls, most small stores are just worthless. Some random shoe places, nail salons, Sleep Number bed store, etc. if i need something from say Macy's (once in a blue moon), i just go straight there bypassing all the junky shops. There are also so many online shopping options; sites that offer something a bit more unique, especially combined with a much larger inventory than most brick and mortar stores carry (no brainer there I suppose) that its hard to justify wanting to go to the mall, deal with parking, crowds, etc. and still walk away disappointed.
Online stores like Amazon have taken many of the items which stores sold at hugely inflated prices out of the equation.

Stores would sell something like a TV or phone at close to a loss in order to drive foot traffic in order to get you to buy accessories like cables or cases.

Ex.
Otterbox case for a galaxy 3...
About 7 years ago I bought a galaxy 3 from HHgregg something like $99 and the two year contract extensions. I went to buy a otterbox & it was $59 in the store, Amazon had it for $24.99, the manager of HHgregg couldn't match it as his cost was $36 on the item.

Cables for phones & Tv's... amazon..

Prime Pantry... I have 22 items on prime pantry... Bounty towels have a long shelf life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 04:55 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Happened in my hometown in Ohio, the smaller mall closed in 2005, the bigger mall now is about to go under as it has lost 2 of the 4 main department stores, & 25% of the stores are vacant.

Malls have to re-invent themselves as the center of town.

The biggest mistake was letting the county build a library which wasn't connected to the mall. Would have driven foot traffic.

If you owned the Savannah Mall would it be better to change part of the mall over to office space? If you could have 300 full time people working in these spaces, would it help the food court?

Would it be better to bring more food businesses in?

Music studio space?

Art studio space?
I saw this in Ohio too. Two malls opened in the 1960s. By the time I left in 2010, one was going strong and one was circling the drain. The successful one was in an upscale area, the other a blue collar area.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:02 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,188 times
I love the idea some here had of GSU using it. Perfect type of building for them right across the road, so they can preserve the forest that is still left by their tennis courts, it's a real asset that seems underrated and slowly being lost. The students their have an amazing campus for the moment, paths through the woods on an urban campus. Expansion to the Sav Mall would be a win-win use of space. Perhaps lease some of it out still to commercial, leaving option for the campus to expand to it later as necessary. Or... bring back Go Karts. I wish I got to try those, it closed literally a week before I was going with a friend to try them!!

Old 02-05-2019, 02:17 PM

643 posts, read 846,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
I love the idea some here had of GSU using it. Perfect type of building for them right across the road, so they can preserve the forest that is still left by their tennis courts, it's a real asset that seems underrated and slowly being lost. The students their have an amazing campus for the moment, paths through the woods on an urban campus. Expansion to the Sav Mall would be a win-win use of space. Perhaps lease some of it out still to commercial, leaving option for the campus to expand to it later as necessary. Or... bring back Go Karts. I wish I got to try those, it closed literally a week before I was going with a friend to try them!!
Virginia College was the reason it closed. So hopefully that mean it can come back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: