Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 07:20 AM

13,408 posts, read 28,747,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
Just to give a little more information. Garden City is rather industrial and the Ports and warehousing are taking over. They are losing population and don't have any new residential construction. Port Wentworth is a tale of two cities. The older original town is decaying, the city is even moving City Hall to the "other town". The old part will probably be gobbled up by the port and trucking/warehouse facilities. The other portion of Port Wentworth is the stretch along Hwy. 21 North of 95 up to the Effingham County line. This is where Rice Hope is located. Those areas are new construction and retail is starting to develop around them. Like most of the rest of the area. Traffic is bad during the rush periods. There are some nice neighborhoods in Rice Hope and Rice Creek but be careful, the have a couple of neighborhoods that are almost exclusively rentals owned by a group of LLCs run by a single company. I believe those aren't in the "Rice" areas though.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
The landings is a resort. LOL

I doubt you are a golfer but there are 6 courses, & there are around 70 miles of hiking/biking trails. Tennis/swim & a traditional country club.

https://www.landingsclub.com/

If you are a bird watcher, it may be one of the better places to live in the US.

Here is a 6 minute video.

[vimeo]160145182[/vimeo]
[vimeo]160145182[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/160145182

I would rather watch paint dry lol

Old 03-07-2019, 09:08 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Both the Landings and Savannah Quarters are nice, I will put them on my list to check out when I come down to look TY
I can only speak about Pooler, because it’s where I live. You can find a house in your price range, or there are abundant new apartments, we are about 13 miles from historic Savannah, and we’re close to the airport and all the amenities, like restaurants and stores.

I like that Pooler is safe and has good services, like police, fire and water. There’s a new hospital opening and now, we don’t even need to go to Savannah for doctors, in most cases. We love the charm of Savannah, but we don’t need to travel there unless we want to.

We started looking in “the islands” , 9 years ago, under $250k, but we did not find anything nice that we could afford, so it’s probably harder now. We did not look at condos, though. We don’t get the coastal experience in Pooler. It’s just like living in any suburban town, but we are close enough to get to those things if we want.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I can only speak about Pooler, because it’s where I live. You can find a house in your price range, or there are abundant new apartments, we are about 13 miles from historic Savannah, and we’re close to the airport and all the amenities, like restaurants and stores.

I like that Pooler is safe and has good services, like police, fire and water. There’s a new hospital opening and now, we don’t even need to go to Savannah for doctors, in most cases. We love the charm of Savannah, but we don’t need to travel there unless we want to.

We started looking in “the islands” , 9 years ago, under $250k, but we did not find anything nice that we could afford, so it’s probably harder now. We did not look at condos, though. We don’t get the coastal experience in Pooler. It’s just like living in any suburban town, but we are close enough to get to those things if we want.
Thank you, I will look in the area

Old 03-07-2019, 11:57 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,614,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I would rather watch paint dry lol
I'm not a bird watcher either, when I lived there for six months, I found myself looking up bird types on the internet because of how many migrating birds we saw in the lakes & marshes.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:34 PM

68 posts, read 88,789 times
In Port Wentworth look into Lakeshore. Hwy 30. Benton Blvd is under construction through Lakeshore and when completed next year will be about 2 miles to Pooler Parkway. Traffic on 30 and Meinhard Rd is not as bad

Old 03-12-2019, 01:30 PM

I see a few new construction in West Chatham, am I better off going directly to builder or through a realtor?
I'm going down tomorrow to check out different areas before I go to a builder or realtor.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:36 AM

7 posts, read 5,831 times
Default Stay away from Port Wentworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I associate both of them with heavy truck traffic and the ports. The stretch of Rte 80 through Garden City is one of the ugliest sections in the area. I’m not aware of any nice areas, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any. There are probably some nice neighborhoods in Port Wentworth, but the main drag along Rte. 25 is also ugly.

If you are picky about your surroundings being beautiful, you will like the Landings and Savannah Quarters better.

I totally agree with gentlearts. I moved to the Lakeshore subdivision in Port Wentworth 3 years ago sight unseen. I was moving here from Japan, didn't want to move twice, so picked out a house on the internet that was under $200k, had most of the things I wanted, single-story, granite counters, wood floors, fenced yard. I do love my house and I'm in a nice cul-de-sac with a lake view but I absolutely HATE my commute to Hunter AAF everyday! All of the trucks are a problem. They don't seem to improve the roads yet keep adding more logistics centers to the area. They're about to start the Benton Blvd road extension that will go right between my development and the next. It's going to be a nightmare going to work once the construction starts and will probably take years to complete.

If I had it to do over, I would have spent a little more money and moved to Coffee Bluff or Berwick and been closer to my job and my daughter who is near Forsyth park. She lived with us only a month after graduating college and couldn't take being so far away from Savannah. She actually chose to rent an ugly room in a dilapidated old house rather than commute from Port Wentworth.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:32 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,713,202 times
[quote=lynnr_98;54676991]

If I had it to do over, I would have spent a little more money and moved to Coffee Bluff or Berwick and been closer to my job and my daughter who is near Forsyth park. She lived with us only a month after graduating college and couldn't take being so far away from Savannah. She actually chose to rent an ugly room in a dilapidated old house rather than commute from Port Wentworth.[/quote

I knew nothing about "Berwick" until 4 months ago when I purchase a large home for renovating. I'm almost finished with the job and I can't believe how much I fell in love with this house and its' location. I also can't believe after 10 years in Savannah I had never passed thru this part of Savannah.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:44 AM

7 posts, read 5,831 times
Is there an area in Berwick that you recommend? There are so many developments in there. I've driven around a little and found some to have the houses way to close together with narrow streets that you have to maneuver around cars to drive through. It would be nice to be in a development that wasn't so tight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area