Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 05:28 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock43 View Post
Thanks for the explanation. We have the same property tax method here in FL. You buy in at a certain tax price and can count on paying those same tax prices for years to come.
I did read a recent article saying Savannah is the 20th most overpriced city in the US, but really, half those articles have no data at all to back it up.
It is probably true for the Historic district, salt-waterfront, and Islands. I never understood living with the salt-marsh mosquitoes. The salt-marsh was a place to throw up a fishing shack and get way from home.......not a place for proper womenfolk. Damnyankees will buy anything......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 07:33 PM

182 posts, read 711,429 times
I'm heading to Savannah tomorrow for a week to look around, and to take care of some wedding plans. I CANT WAIT!

Old 06-30-2008, 05:00 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock43 View Post
I'm heading to Savannah tomorrow for a week to look around, and to take care of some wedding plans. I CANT WAIT!
Whoo hoo. Drive safely.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:20 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
If and when my house ever sells, I will be looking to buy quickly. Since we want either a 3 car garage or a separate outbuilding, the choices will be narrower than for some people. Anyway, to answer your question, I will be sure to study the comps of houses which have sold to make sure I'm not overpaying.
Since we will, no doubt, sell at a reduced price, I'm not about to overpay when I buy.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:20 PM

116 posts, read 331,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilrmkr View Post
I know the market is slow but there are houses selling here in Savannah. The military is always moving in and companies like Gulfstream are expanding. What I am wondering from potential homebuyers relocating to the area is.....What's the hold up? I am getting mixed messages from realtors as to buyers wanting a great deal. Are buyers waiting and looking for houses that have been marked down or are they hoping to make lowball offers on current prices? I know many people are waiting for their houses to sell but I am wondering their state of mind when they are ready to look at homes. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Obviously I have a house on the market!
Personally, being military, we don't have much choice as to when we move into an area, and I'm not a big fan of renting. So, if we see a house we like in our price range that fits most, if not all, of our criteria, then we'd probably just go for it. I don't sit around waiting for the price to be reduced, but if I see that a house has been on the market for awhile, I'm definitely curious as to why; and it brings up questions of whether or not there's something wrong with it. So the simple fact that it's been on the market for awhile can deter buyers. Also, if a house needs work (updating, repairs, etc), most buyers aren't interested in having to do that themselves, and probably don't have the money to, anyway (plus, many can be short-sighted and not think that things can be done over time to build equity). Another reason a house might not be selling quickly is the way it is staged. Sad, but true. Most people can't see past a poorly designed space, even if none of that will be there when they move in. Paint can be changed. Wallpaper can be torn down. Flooring can be replaced. And you're bringing in your own dang furniture. But the truth still remains, people want to see a place at its full potential, looking sparkly and new. I'll even admit that a house with contemporary furnishings and in-style decor draws my eye much better than one with things still hanging around from 10 or 20 years ago.

I noticed your other post mentioning that military moving to Savannah should check out Georgetown, and that you currently live in that area. If you'd like, you could email me the mls # to your house (or website w/ your listing on it), and I can take a look and tell you why I would or would not be interested in your house. Keep in mind, it would be an internet perspective...I live too far away to be able to physically check out surrounding homes and the general neighborhood (which can also have a negative impact on the potential hold-up on the sale of a home). It doesn't hurt that I'm looking for homes in that area, either. With 3 kiddos in elementary school, that's top priority for me, and I couldn't find anything better than Georgetown that fit our needs.

For what it's worth, though, I hope things move more quickly for you. We're in the "getting our house ready to sell" stage, and frankly, selling it is scaring the crap out of me. If Savannah becomes a reality for us (I'd be a little surprised if it didn't), I may need to sell fast, and as we all know, that's rare in this economy. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. So, good luck on yours!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 AM

433 posts, read 1,770,031 times
Thank you for the post. My house is up to date and has a nice style. I think on thing that has hurt me with 2 potential buyers is that all of the bedrooms are upstairs. We have had a lot of older people looking at the house.

The neighborhood is perfect for a young family. It is very family family and there are many planned events like cookie exchanges at Christmas, easter egg hunts, pool parties etc.. We love living in the neighborhood and Georgetown elementary is a very good school. There are a couple of teachers from there who live in the neighborhood.

I am going to send you an e-mail through city-data so look for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area