Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,791 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone out there! I have never done this before...not real tech savvy. Would Like to move from Wash, DC area to the south...yea! I am retired and am looking for a small home to live in and do my art. I am a first time home buyer. Love, love, love Tybee and the whole Savannah charm. I am just starting my search. I have a neice in Charleston, SC who is a chef. I will search there too but I prefer Savannah area. Tybee Island if possible. It is so sweet and artsie. But I need to know if I can afford a house there. Don't need much room. There are no kids. Would love to see the water. I have a need to be near water. Don't know if that is affordable though. But this is just a start for me so any advice would be ever so appreciated. I am love the south...always have...s'where I belong y'all. Thanks sooooooooooo much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 02:11 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Just a suggestion......if you can't find your spot on Tybee, think about all the other property that is on the salt water rivers in the area.

There is a condo type development on Tybee, in which the developers seemed to have gone broke. I don't know the name, it's on the north side of the island. I understand that there are some bargains there.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,734 times
Default finding house on tybee

did u find a place? looking now for similar reasons.
connie

Old 11-20-2010, 07:50 PM

6 posts, read 19,255 times
Was just there this past weekend looking for a single family home for my wife and I... long story short, if you want something more than a rat-hole, expect to spend more than $250k (even for the smallest place). Don't get me wrong, there are some nice houses on the island (depending on what you're willing to live with), but on the whole, housing is still pretty expensive there.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:32 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Same goes for the islands area in general. We looked for several days in 31410 and only found some unimproved ca 1970 little ranches for under 250K.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:50 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenager View Post
Was just there this past weekend looking for a single family home for my wife and I... long story short, if you want something more than a rat-hole, expect to spend more than $250k (even for the smallest place). Don't get me wrong, there are some nice houses on the island (depending on what you're willing to live with), but on the whole, housing is still pretty expensive there.

Hope this helps.
Yes, the bottom line is that beachside living in GA comes with a price tag, just like anywhere else.
If you're on a small budget and want to settle in coastal GA, my suggestion is to get off of the islands and look at some of the 'river towns' a little bit inland: Midway, Darien, Brunswick, St Marys. You've got water access, planty of Southern charm and a much lower price tag.

http://www.cityofdarienga.com/

Historic Downtown Brunswick, Georgia

Welcome to St Marys, Georgia

Old 12-05-2010, 05:08 PM

6 posts, read 19,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, the bottom line is that beachside living in GA comes with a price tag, just like anywhere else.
If you're on a small budget and want to settle in coastal GA, my suggestion is to get off of the islands and look at some of the 'river towns' a little bit inland: Midway, Darien, Brunswick, St Marys. You've got water access, planty of Southern charm and a much lower price tag.
I never said that I personally was on a small budget, hense why I was looking on Tybee in the first place. In fact, the wife and I have scaled up our price range since our visit to include some of the better homes for sale on the island.

So I guess what I was trying to say in my initial post is pretty much what you just stated... there is no cheap housing when looking at coastal property.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:37 AM

3 posts, read 4,680 times
don't forget to look at homeowner's and flood insurance - on Tybee finding insurance may be a challenge.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenager View Post

Hope this helps.

WE looked into a real jewel on the north end of the island.
The roof of the garage was covered with a tarp. The front screen door was about to fall off. The eves are rotten and the roof on the main house was almost as bad as the garage. And that was what we could see from the outside. God only knows what it was like on the inside..
The listed price was 275k.
We considered the condition of the cheapest house we could find. Factored in the
knats that make it horrible till after sundown and the high property taxes. along with having to deal with the locals not being very receptive to new comers. And decided to rent something in town.

WE also looked at a few rentals on the island. One had a 5 foot hole in the ceiling and no heat for 900 a month. and the other one was 1100 dollars a month and hadn't been maintained for years. Yard, paint, etc.. and no parking.

Brian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area