Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 02:19 PM

37 posts, read 134,257 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new here and relatively new to Savannah. My husband and I have been down there about 6 times in the last 6 months, either on business or looking for a house. We think we want to relocated there.
We love the old houses and from everything that we have seen we really like the neighborhoods and the lifestyle.
Now having said that we would like to live in the historic district. But after reading many of these posts about how awful the crime is, and our new realtor saying this and that area she will not show us houses in due to the awful neighborhoods I am really confused.
So I thought maybe I would ask some old time Savannahians (is that a word??) what you thought of these streets and areas.
Park
Waldberg
50th street
39th street

So what do you all think????

Alice in Virginia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 05:02 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
It all depends on which block you're in. There's not much on 39th I'd consider, though I know two people who live on it.

Parts of Park are okay, but I only like a couple of blocks on the western side of the park because it's shady. Waldburg is the closest in but can also be hit or miss. I can't tell you without actually riding by.

50th may or may not put you in Ardsley Park. Again, it depends where on 50th you're looking.

And the crime is real. People are very upset by the latest shooting. No one is happy right now.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:17 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
You need to tell us whether the Street name is, East _____or West ______. Bull Street is the dividing line. The house numbers start at #1 at Bull, then upward as they go east or west. What might be fine in the 1100 block of West____, might be horrible in the 1100 block of East______.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the answers. I didnt want to specific specific houses, butI would say for about 99% they are all on the East side.
They range from the 200 block of 39th to 1100 block of Park. So they are pretty spread out.

Would appreciate any information
Alice in virginia

Old 07-11-2008, 11:09 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
There's a big difference between the Eastside and the WAY east side. It really varies block by block. I wouldn't consider anything over 400 East except 50th. st.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:55 PM

236 posts, read 698,971 times
1-700 block in the Ardsley area should be fine. There are a lot of houses on the market and some of the prices are really good. I'd stick with Ardsley (I live in the 300 block of 55th). I would strongly recommend renting for 6 months to make sure that it's what you're looking for.

Michael

Old 07-11-2008, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the comments. Renting is not an option for us, as we have dogs that will go with us and I dont see landlords allowing for 4 afghan hounds!!! LOL
Anyway they will certainly ad to the security issues!!
Any other suggestions are greatfully appreciated. I am taking all your notes down. We will be there Sunday night for a week. 7/13/08

Alice in Virginia

Old 07-11-2008, 11:09 PM

182 posts, read 711,582 times
Alice, please please please post a looonnnggg account of your findings! I am looking from afar too and trying to learn all I can. I wont get back up there till September. I saw you were asking about Waldburg street. There is a listing for a townhouse on east waldburg street~ oh I cant remember the address~ its listed for 260k. If thats what you might be going to look at (yellow building) let me know how it is. I'm sure its horrible because I am hoping its nice- but I am doing what my realtor told me to do~ I am looking at duplex's and townhouses rather than single family homes!

And yea for you having big dogs! I have a pit bull myself and love how dog friendly the city seems to be (or at least I see lots of people walking their dogs when I was there)

Old 07-12-2008, 10:14 AM

182 posts, read 711,582 times
Hey Alice, I sent you a private message but am not sure if I did it right.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:13 PM

Hi gamecock43, no you must have sent it wrong as I didnt get anything!! LOL
We are only looking for single family houses no townhouses or condos. With our dogs it jsut wouldnt work unless sfh. We have afghan hounds they already live Forsyth Park!!! They think Daffin is too hot!!!! But they are spoiled.
Well I will take computer and can give day by day updates if anyone is really interested. Have to go pack we are leaving early in the AM>
Alice in Virginia, but not for long!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area