Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 04:17 PM

15 posts, read 30,083 times

Advertisements

My husband and i visited Savannah last September for the first time and absolutley loved it, so much so we are comung back in November.
I joined this forum last year and have really just spent time reading your threads, until now because i am absolutley amazed that Savannah is racist and bad for crime. I know this type of thing is everywhere god i am from the UK and live in one of the worst areas for racism, but Savannah is such a beautiful tranquil place or what i saw was, it just shows how much you walk around with blinkers on whilst on holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 07:08 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Most places in the US are racist and bad for crime. Some are worse than others, but it exists everywhere.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
There are places in other parts of the world which make the U.S. look like Disney World by comparison when it comes to racial or other forms of discrimination - we just like to think it's an American problem sometimes.

Jobi, you'll find that race comes up a lot more in topics and conversations in the Southern states in the U.S. than in other regions of the country. In the Pacific Northwest for instance, some may try to make you think that it's never on anyone's minds. But it is. It's just buried in most places under years of politically correct, "We can't talk about that" training. Some areas of the South however, still do carry it a bit overboard however, and you will find both White AND Black racists in many areas.

Still, most are not blatantly obvious about it, and as a tourist, you usually have little to fear when visiting tourist destinations, hotels, restaurants, etc. It's not "in the streets" type of stuff like in some other parts of the world. Here, it's there, but more subtle. Savannah is what some call the "melting pot for the odd" (in a good way - well, sorta. LOL). You might want to one day watch the movie, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil". It was actually filmed in Savannah, based on a true story (and fluffed up), and even had a lot of Savannah locals who were hired to be extras and characters in the movie, from a crazy carriage guy to a drag queen. Good movie and it touches on the quirky feel of the city.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:08 PM

Smile holiday are coming

We will be coming out to Savannah in November and we will be staying on East Bay St,the last time we visited we did a trolley ride and the river boat and River St and visited Tybee Island,so this time we want to do something different "Any Suggestions" we are only there for two nights the first night we will arrive in the afternoon, also any ideas on what the weather will be like. It has literally rained all summer here in the UK so as long as it doesnt rain anything else is fine haha.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:51 PM

November is usually pleasant fall-like weather. It's hard to tell if it will warm or cool since it's a transitional season. Usually the weather is dry, so I hope I'm not wrong and you have pleasant weather.

As far as things to do, what do you enjoy?

Old 09-07-2008, 05:34 PM

This may sound really dumb but anything thats Southern and American and Savannah, I am sorry but I am from the UK and I just love your country. I enjoy museums and history in your country and dont have no interest in them in my own.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:23 PM

I really enjoy going to Ft. Pulaski and to Ft. Jackson. Pulaski is almost all the way out to Tybee, on the left before you cross Lazaretto Creek. Not only is the fort an extraordinary piece of architecture, but the grounds and trails will allow you to have access to the salt marsh and little hammocks that surround the fort. If you go, bring insect repellant, lots of gnats sometimes.

Ft. Jackson is closer to downtown. It's smaller and older. From the top you can get a nice view of the river and the ships passing by. They do a pretty good job interpreting the story of the fort, which helps you understand more about the city and its people.

The Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace is also well-interpreted. Low was the founder of the Girl Scouts. The home is decorated in the manner of a slightly better than middle class Victorian era American family. I think they do a good job describing her and her impact on young women. She was quite a rebel, for 1890.

I haven't been to the Ships of the Sea Museum in a long while, but if you our your husband is interested in maritime history, that's the place to go.

The Beach Institute and King Tisdell Cottage focus on African-American history and art. I particularly like Ulysees Davis's work.

The Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum portrays an important part of our past, if you're curious about what gets left out of many tours.

You might also enjoy buying a pass to see the Telfair Museum, the new Jepson Center for the Arts, and the Owens Thomas House. All three are run by the Telfair, which was founded in the mid-19th century. You'll see art, furniture, and architecture from three distinct points of view. That might be all you can handle in one day. LOL

Old 09-08-2008, 07:33 AM

Thanks for that, thanks for taking the time and trouble to give us some info,I think this may be our last visit to Savannah for some time so I want to make the most of it, i just love the place.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:47 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Bonaventure Cemetery is a neat place to walk around on a nice day. Huge old trees covered in spanish moss, and loads of interesting memorials. We listened to the Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil on tape (only get the unabridged version) to refresh our memory of the book, on our way to Savannah, so especially enjoyed the cemetery after that.
If you like a noisy bar that's jumping on weekends, go to Savannah Smiles, a dueling pianos bar.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:13 PM

165 posts, read 507,712 times
You mentioned that you did a trolley and riverboat tour already, so give a ghost tour a chance. I can't personally recommend one because the only one I went on was cheesey, but I know there are good ones out there. Savannah IS the most haunted city in the US, so there are a lot of interesting stories to hear on the tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area