Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:16 PM

18 posts, read 46,867 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mother of three girls 6,7,9 and I'm looking to relocate from Nashville,TN to Savannah, Ga. I was just wondering if someone can tell me what life is like in Savannah. Is it a good place to raise a family? How is the school system? How are the jobs in the administrative field, do they pay good? I will also be transferring to a 4 year college, are there any good suggestions? My friend and myself will be visiting in March, what are some good attractions to visit and a good church to attend on Sunday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 05:31 PM

433 posts, read 1,773,089 times
The schools in general are not good. One of the best elementary schools is Georgetown. My kids went there for 2 years and the younger ones were pretty happy but the older one had a harder time. People on this board will mention some of the special and charter schools. It is true they are very good but many of them have special requirements and have lottery drawings in the spring and waiting lists to get in.

As for things to do I would definately recommend the trolley ride. River street is fun. The kids will like the river. The Tybee lighthouse is also fun.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:42 PM

18 posts, read 46,867 times
Well thats not good buts thanks for the reply.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:10 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,228,198 times
Some of the schools are excellent, some are not. As in most cities, a lot will depend on the area of economic status to the families and the involvement of the parents.

The administrative field is a large one....banking, hospital, industry, etc. You really shouldn't move here unless you have a job. Otherwise, you may find yourself without employment in your chosen field. I am sure that I don't have to remind you that with children that age, you just can't work weird hours.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:32 PM

165 posts, read 508,593 times
I'll throw in my two cents about the church question. I have no idea what your background/beliefs are, but we (and MANY others) attend Savannah Christian Chuch and love it. There are people from all walks of life and backgrounds, so you're sure to find somewhere to fit in and it is an awesome place to have your kids.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:53 PM

726 posts, read 3,609,471 times
SCCPSS

Look to schools on the Islands or West of I-95 unless it is a Specialty program

Oglethorpe Charter School Georgia’s first start-up charter middle school is most successful and difficult to get into

Savannah Arts Academy (http://www.savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us/Schools/High+Schools/Savannah+Arts+Academy/ - broken link) is tops

Several new schools are being built in West Chatham:

Coastal Empire Montessori Charter School

K-8 school at Godley Station in 2010

High school at New Hempstead in 2012

Charter High School in Pooler

Old 11-15-2008, 10:47 AM

64 posts, read 344,316 times
I almost moved to Nashville, TN in 2007. Savannah has less jobs than Nashville, lower wages, and a higher cost of living.

I lived in Savannah from 1994 - 2007 and I worked in the administrative field. I left the area because I was tired of constantly struggling and I could not get ahead financially.

I think you should do A LOT of research on the job market. When you are in town stop by some temp agencies and talk to someone so you can get idea of the wages and job openings in the area.

Read these posts if you haven't done so already:

I would not move to Savannah...
Is Savannah really that bad?

Good luck to you.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:58 PM

236 posts, read 700,352 times
I have two children, 4 and 2. I lived in midtown Savannah for 2 years and would not consider it a good place to raise children.

Savannah is a great place to visit, but a terrible place to live.

Schools, crime, taxes, government, housing prices and worst of all....sand gnats (the bugs not the team).

Michael

Old 11-22-2008, 06:15 PM

53 posts, read 154,946 times
Move to Richmond Hill, Pooler, Rincon, Pembroke or one of the smaller surrounding communities to raise your children. Work in Savannah if you have to.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:14 PM

6 posts, read 16,431 times
Default my wife and grandchild moving there

Wife works for VA as a nurse,she maybe transfered there at a VA clinic,but after reading the threads above,I'm hoping she takes the florida position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area