Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:48 PM

6 posts, read 53,674 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are thinking about moving to somewhere warm and both of us are drawn to Savannah, but we really don't know much about the city. I'd love to learn more about it. Every tourist-y website gives gudies, hotels, real estate.. but I want to know about what the people are like, what vibe is in different parts of town, are there lots of local restaurants, what's the weather like year round, is it a crowded city, is tybee island crowded, what do the locals do, what do they enjoy? Anything really I just want to get a feel for what life would life would be like if we made the move.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 02:08 PM

737 posts, read 2,460,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac_nc View Post
My fiance and I are thinking about moving to somewhere warm and both of us are drawn to Savannah, but we really don't know much about the city. I'd love to learn more about it. Every tourist-y website gives gudies, hotels, real estate.. but I want to know about what the people are like, what vibe is in different parts of town, are there lots of local restaurants, what's the weather like year round, is it a crowded city, is tybee island crowded, what do the locals do, what do they enjoy? Anything really I just want to get a feel for what life would life would be like if we made the move.

Thanks for your help!
Search the threads.
If you have the time.
Been a buncha same kinda questions lately.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:17 PM

970 posts, read 2,951,816 times
It's better than Savannah, TN.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:20 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post
Search the threads.
If you have the time.
Been a buncha same kinda questions lately.
Ditto, mon ami.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:00 PM

42 posts, read 132,707 times
Read Al's posts, and my posts in this thread. Should answer some of your questions.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/savan...you-heard.html

Old 01-23-2009, 07:33 AM

Some of the threads have answered my questions. But none really give you a since of the vibes in different areas. From what I've found on Historic downtown.. lots of restaurants and beautiful scenary companied with crime. Tybee island.. beautiful and expensive. But what about the surrounding areas? What places are good to live in for a young couple who want an ecclectic, safe neighborhood that is affordable. We want to be around friendly neighbors and good schools (kids in the future). Also we want to know about the weather year round. How hot and humid is it during summer? Are the bugs as bad and people say? How cold does it get in the winter?

Old 01-23-2009, 08:11 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
There are a lot of very nice places outside of the Historic District to live and raise children. In fact, there are really too many to list here. What you need to do if you are really interested, is come for a week and just drive around and look.

And now, for the weather. I think the record low is 9 degrees with a wind chill factor below 0. Some winters are quite mild. We manage, even though most of us don't own the clothes for it. The last three or four nights the temps have dropped below freezing for several hours. Plants and water pipes freeze.

In the summer, it's HOT and HUMID. Which is a lot different than just plain HOT. You sweat, but it doesn't cool you. It makes you feel worse. The heat index often goes above 100 degrees. And this starts sometimes in May and last through September.

The most worrisome bugs are the mosquitoes, gnats and cockroaches. The Mosquito Control Agency takes care of most of the mosquito problems in most of the county. The sand gnats are bad in the spring and fall, especially around heavy foliage and the marshy areas, but they can be tolerated. The cockroaches are everywhere, all year around. Whether or not they are in your house will depend on you and how you take care of things. A good exterminator works wonders.

Now, as far as neighborhoods go.....that depends. If a certain church interests you, there are neighborhoods that have ties to certain churches. There are neighborhoods where cocktail parties are common, and some where if any drinking is done, it's behind closed doors with the shades drawn.
Neighborhoods where all the homes are new and there aren't any old retired couples, and neighborhoods where there are people of all ages and the houses are mostly older.

In otherwords, you need to think about the weather. If you think you can stand the summers, come and visit and see what's available.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:11 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
I know for certain that I've recently posted about surrounding neighborhoods in the past week or so.

If you're just planning to have kids, why don't you live someplace that suits you and your partner, get to know the area, and decide what's right for you?

Weather data for Savannah is available on the main City Data page. A few days ago the temps dropped into the low 20's. A few weeks ago, it was in the 80's. Today we're expecting mid to low 60's. That's about right for this time of year.

Bugs are a very subjective topic, I'm not going to waste any time on it today. Well, maybe I will. LOL

I'm an average housekeeper and have lived in a variety of places around town. I think a lot depends on where you live, how clean the neighbors and previous tenants/owners were, and how tightly built your house is. I rarely see roaches in this house, but in another, I moved into a place that was infested. Took ages to get that resolved. I have a family member who lives in a house built on a slab and has a regular contract with an exterminator - he gets roaches in parts of the house that are rarely occupied. My house is built up off the ground, I don't spray for anything, and almost never see a bug in here.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 PM

Wonderful feedback. Thank you both for your insight. We hope to plan a trip down there in late spring/ early summer. Look forward to exploring!

Thanks again!

Old 01-23-2009, 02:26 PM

737 posts, read 2,460,360 times
Default Re: What is Savannah, ga like?

Re: What is Savannah, ga like?

My trash pick up is Tuesday.
Supposed to put the bin out at the edge of J.M.B the night before<Monday>.
Sometimes I forget...
I'm old, so shoot me!
Sometimes I'm tooo lazy...
I'm old, so shoot me!
The trash guys come down to my shack, and drag the bin up to the Blvd., and empty it.
And pick up any other stuff that might be laying around.
And that, good people, is what Savannah, and Southern Hospitality, is all about.

Ps: I'm whiter then white.
And a cracker to boot.
And the trash guys are all of color.
And yet we all get along just fine.

Pps: I just walked my dog in shorts, flip-flops, and a Tee-shirt.
Any of the others wondering about Savannah done that lately?
Just curious, is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area