Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,699 times

Advertisements

Elizabeth's is wonderful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 12:05 PM

513 posts, read 868,093 times
Smile the 2nd time around

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfromellicottcity View Post
Elizabeth's is wonderful
The next time we visit Savannah I will defintely try Elizabeth's....

Old 02-05-2009, 06:36 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I guess it's important for people to go there just to say they've been there. Too bad we don't have a time machine. I honestly loved her food when she first moved to Congress St.

At this point, the restaurant's problem is a lack of oversight. Helloooo world....Paula has left the building.
You're right, Ellie. She was once truly one of the best restaurants in Savannah. Now, however, it has dramatically gone down hill.
I would say if Paula knew what was best, she would turn things around and, as you said, give the restaurant more oversight, but as we all know, she is too rich to be involved in something as small as a restaurant on a corner.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times
Thats too bad to hear. My wife and I ate at her restaurant years ago just as she was getting more popular and we loved it. Even saw her oldest son there wiping down tables. Too bad things have changed. At least I know when we return to Savannah to not bother going there. We did eat at some wonderful places along river street. wish i could remember the names of some of them!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:55 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Last night I was talking to someone who knows one of the managers in the restaurant who was told that it's a herd mentality there, they're just trying to get them in, get them fed, and send them on their way.

I liked the old days when the boys were waiting tables. Couldn't have been nicer, including Paula.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:18 PM

ok now someone educate me about River Street I looked it up on the net and found it's just a street full of bars; which is fine..are there shops as well? I looked at the weather and it's going to be raining.. this is my second time in Savannah, however I will spend more then just a day there; and the last time I was there it was raining too. UGH! Anyway, just curious if River Street is a very casual place. Might get food and take it back to the room

Old 02-10-2009, 06:24 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
What kind of shops are you looking for?

Most of what is on River Street is pretty touristy. Once in a blue moon I'll wander down there to see what's going on. I love Olympia Cafe as well as --? Dockside which is just beneath the Chart House on W. River St. It has an excellent Southern food lunch buffet. I've also heard that dining at the bar at Vic's on the River is casual and easy. Kevin Barry's Irish Pub used to be fun, though I haven't been in there in years.

On the inland side of River St. (on Factor's Walk) are a number of antiques and other shops that I occasionally visit (and like).

Bay St., which is one street south of the river, has several good places from 5 Guys burgers to Moon River Brewery to Ruth's Chris.

But the greatest concentration of shops and restaurants are two-three blocks south on Broughton St. Of course there are plenty of others scattered around the district, most within walking distance, but Broughton has an active (popular with locals) mix of places to go. City Market also has many fun shops, art galleries, and restaurants.

Don't let the rain slow you down. It looks like it'll be damp on Friday - just carry your umbrella.

Last edited by ellie; 02-10-2009 at 06:36 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,133 times
Galleries:
Art Galleries : Savannah Waterfront Association (http://www.riverstreetsavannah.com/info_pages.php?pages_id=34 - broken link)

Shops:
Local Shops : Savannah Waterfront Association (http://www.riverstreetsavannah.com/info_pages.php?pages_id=35 - broken link)

Eats:
River Street Restaurants : Savannah Waterfront Association (http://www.riverstreetsavannah.com/info_pages.php?pages_id=33 - broken link)

Old 02-12-2009, 12:17 PM

Hi ellie thanks for the great suggestions. Yes I have to run out today and buy an umbrella oh well.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:59 PM

737 posts, read 2,459,518 times
And it's 72 as I type this, and not a cloud in the sky for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area