Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenlolasmom32 View Post
Desperately need info on area, my husband and I are relocating to the Savannah area from the midwest. We currently live in Webster Groves, a subburb of St. Louis Missouri, to sum it up, it's a white collar community, mainly professionals and soccer moms. The homes are all 100+ years old and it's very historic, the homes start at a minimum of $200,000.00 with most exceeding 350K. My husband's job is a Regional Sales Manager for a company based out of San Fran and he travels Mon-Fri, therefore I will be left alone with our 2 small children. I have received an apt. guide and need to get a insight on where to live. We were looking at the Georgetown area but I have read some pretty bad things about the area in general. We are wanting to rent for a year to learn the area and find something similar to our current situation. Please advise, where to go as we want to be in a white collar community that is safe and nice.
I suggest you live in Pooler, or Richmond Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 10:50 AM

8 posts, read 17,084 times
I'm from NYC and Savannah has it's pros and cons for sure. The people for the most part are very friendly and it is a beautiful city. With that being said... be prepared to have a hard time finding a job here. Yes this city is cheap rent wise compared to NY but if you can't find a job then the rent price does not matter. Don't expect to make the money that you make up north. As I stated in a previous post my fiance has years of experience in the hospitality field and has worked in NYC,New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Chicago and has always been hired. In cities like NYC and Chicago the competition is fierce but still a job was eventually to be had. We have been here over 2 months with not a bite! I'm going to school full time and I can't even get hired working a menial job (I have over 4 years medical experience and customer service experience). He has over 15 years of experience in the hospitality field and can't get anything here. He has applied for other fields as well. Be prepared to come here with money to survive for a few months if you haven't been fortunate enough to have a job lined up. As for the crime... if you are from a big city it's not that bad. You just have to know where to live and the way I see it Savannah has nice areas surrounded by bad. I live in Baldwin Park and I know if I walk a few blocks over it's a bit iffy.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,545 times
We moved to Savannah thru A job for my husband, we live near Wilmington Island, only about 15 minutes to Downtown, and about 10 to the beach, nice area, it has alot of apt/condos, as well as Wilmington Island very safe as well as Tybee Island Rincon and Pooler are also good areas, we've been
downtown during the day only to see the sights, just beautiful. There are places to stay away from just like any city, do you homework before moving here, and you'll be fine. They say to stay away from River St at night, bull street, and some other areas, we were lost here at first, and saw the
areas to stay away from(it was in the daytime) There is crime everywhere you just have to know where to live and where not to live.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:27 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,198 times
I cannot stress this point enough:

DO NOT MOVE HERE WITHOUT OBTAINING A JOB FIRST!

Old 12-26-2010, 09:21 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
PLEASE! Notice that the original question was posted in March 2007.

I certainly hope that the poster has made a decision before now. Many things have changed since then. Both for the good and for the bad. But it's NEVER a good decision to move without at least looking for employment FIRST.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,635 times
I lived in Savannah for three years and was never so glad to leave any place I have ever lived. Don't be seduced by the beauty. Savannah is the most un-Southern Southern town in which I have ever lived. I am Southern born and raised and have never lived anywhere other than the South and never would. The people of Savannah are incredibly rude and the school system, for whom I worked, is the worst I have ever seen in 24 years of teaching. Memphis is a much better destination in the dear old Southland.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,635 times
Default Savannah: Beautiful Demon

I lived in Savannah for three years and was never so glad to leave any place I have ever lived. Don't be seduced by the beauty. Savannah is the most un-Southern Southern town in which I have ever lived. I am Southern born and raised and have never lived anywhere other than the South and never would. The people of Savannah are incredibly rude and the school system, for whom I worked, is the worst I have ever seen in 24 years of teaching. Memphis is a much better destination in the dear old Southland.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:20 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,198 times
Bye!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,300 times
We recently relocated to Savannah from the Poconos, and my husband was recieving pay on an NYC payscale. He did not get a cut in pay, but the cost of living is MUCH lower down here. We are able to afford a much grander home here in Savannah than in Pennsylvania. So my argument to those stating that the wages are lower is that it simply costs less to live here. Our neighbors just moved from Indiana, where their business slowed down, and they could no longer afford to live where they were. The man of the house immediately started up work here, and they have admitted that their home now is far nicer than the one they could no longer afford in Indiana. I would say that even if a downshift in pay happens, your lifestyle probably won't change.
And as for the city and its crime.. we have lived here previously on a temporary relocation before we had children, and fell in love with all the charm. When the opportunity came about to move here permanently, we jumped on the offer. At one time, downtown living would have been our first choice; however, with small children, a more secluded, quiet setting became more appealing. The ammenities in a planned neighborhood are what drew us into the Georgetown/Southside area. Larger backyards, pool, playground, no thru-traffic, etc.. This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's what works for us right now. (fyi: we live in Southern Woods at Rice Mill and LOVE it!)
Crime is not an issue back here for us. I would reccomend investing in a security system for extra comfort. I go everywhere with a keychain sized can of mace and feel secure. I don't think I NEED it, but it makes me feel in control to have it in my pocket when I am distracted with the kids.
Savannah is also a "military town." There are multiple army bases, airfields, etc. in the vicinity, so you are more than likely going to live in a neighborhoods saturated with members of some branch of service. It is comforting to know that these men and women live nearby and will watch out for you. We live in between two pastors, and across the street from 3 service members. It is a VERY safe, wholesome neighborhood.. and I'm sure that many neighborhoods in Savannah are just like this!
My kids are involved in a few activities downtown with a multitude of culturally diverse kids from all kinds of neighborhoods around Savannah. I am never scared to take them out, even when certain classes are over in the evenings and it is dark outside.
Jacksonville and Charleston are just 2 hours away. Hilton Head is about an hour. Tybee Island beaches are beautiful. The historic district is amazing here, and the "haunted history" of Savannah is SO fascinating. There is a great mix of old and new here, and property values seem to keep up, even in the rough economy (with exceptions, of course.)
Good luck to you in your search, and I hope that the negative comments do not keep you from making this lovely city your home!

Old 01-12-2011, 04:52 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanovwindsor View Post
I lived in Savannah for three years and was never so glad to leave any place I have ever lived and the school system, for whom I worked, is the worst I have ever seen in 24 years of teaching.
Did you get fired or layed off by the school system or quit of your own accord?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area