Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 03:09 PM

28 posts, read 82,812 times

Advertisements

I am not familiar with that exact street, but that area does not sound like it could be as bad as everyone on here is making it out to be. I own property in areas that are much much worse than that. For instance, I am buying a duplex at MLK and W36th street. I know that the area I am buying must be worse than E Waldburg and E Broad. I am not saying that the area I am buying is great by any means, but it is not as bad as everyone thinks, that is why I have been buying over there for the past three years. This will be my fourth building West of MLK and south of 36th street. I do minor renovations and rent the apartments out, and none of the tenents have had any problems(cross my fingers) with the neighbors. The cops drive the streets at least once an hour during the day, when the kids get off the bus, there are cops on every block. This may sound bad, but I can hang out in this area all day and not feel like it is dangerous. Maybe I have become immune to it, but it is not as bad as everyone thinks. On the other side of MLK, I would say that it is not that bad at all. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is safe to walk the street by yourself at night anywhere in Savannah, that goes for the Squares downtown all the way to Victory BLVD. But going from your car to your apartment after work or walking the streets during the day, that does not seem that bad to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 04:16 PM

15 posts, read 48,760 times
Default i didn't have time to ask anyone!

i would have asked for opinions on here before signing my lease, but i had only one weekend to pick a place to live. i am cramming an out-of-state move into 2 weeks, with only a couple days off from work to pack. i honestly didnt' have time to wait for everyone's replies.

someone told me that i shouldn't live south of park or east of e. broad. so i just went with that.

i don't feel too creeped out by my neighborhood so far. i met some neighbors and they said they really liked living there and they hadn't experienced any crime since they'd been there (they've been there almost a year). and this was coming from 2 young girls. so i took that as a good sign. i'll have college students (with their irregular schedules) on either side of me, so that's pretty good.

hopefully i will be ok. i'm installing some motion-detector lights anyway, just as a little added security.

thanks again, everyone, for the feedback.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:57 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,197,784 times
Somehow, to me, a section of town where the police drive by every hour does not sound very good to me. I would prefer a section where such precautions are not needed. There is a lot more to Savannah than the Historic District.

After you get settled, take time to drive around south of Derenne Ave. Places like Magnolia Park or Mayfair. Isle of Hope, Kennsington Park......there are a lot of beautiful areas that are wonderfully nice and safe. Get a city map and explore!

One of the problems of this forum is that you can't determine how long a person has lived in Savannah, or whether or not they are really familiar with anything other than their own little corner. The advice is not always good.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:07 PM

737 posts, read 2,461,331 times
That's why I try to confine my info posts to The Islands.
But sometitmes I do stray.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:05 PM

28 posts, read 82,812 times
Default The other problem with this forum is...

it seems to be dominated by people who have lived in Savannah for many many years that have not realized that the downtown area is much different than it was 10 or 20 years ago. Scaring people out of living in the downtown area of Savannah is about the worst advice anyone could give. In 2001, I was scared to be at the area around E31st and Abercorn. Now, that area is great, pretty much every building around that area is restored and there is barely any crime. In 2003, I was scared to be pretty much anywhere on 37th. Now anywhere between Habersham and MLK on 37th is pretty good. In 2009, I am a little scared at W36 past MLK. In 2013, I am pretty sure that this area will be fine. All the areas in the downtown are getting better and better everytime I turn around. I would never recommend someone to live where they don't feel comfortable, but scaring this girl who is moving to Savannah is not the answer either. If she is careful, she should be fine in Savannah.

The reality of what is going on in Savannah is that the downtown area is becoming too expensive for alot of people. This is causing most of the people who commit the crimes to be forced out of the downtown area, probably mostly to Midtown.

I would recommend anyone moving to Savannah to buy a piece of property between Forsyth Park and Victory BLVD as close to Bull Street as they can afford. This area, in five years, will be very expensive and untouchable for most middle class families. You can buy a beautiful Victorian House for a reasonable price right now, especially after this downturn in the market. And it is not that dangerous right now.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:24 PM

214 posts, read 900,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerab78 View Post
it seems to be dominated by people who have lived in Savannah for many many years that have not realized that the downtown area is much different than it was 10 or 20 years ago. Scaring people out of living in the downtown area of Savannah is about the worst advice anyone could give. In 2001, I was scared to be at the area around E31st and Abercorn. Now, that area is great, pretty much every building around that area is restored and there is barely any crime. In 2003, I was scared to be pretty much anywhere on 37th. Now anywhere between Habersham and MLK on 37th is pretty good. In 2009, I am a little scared at W36 past MLK. In 2013, I am pretty sure that this area will be fine. All the areas in the downtown are getting better and better everytime I turn around. I would never recommend someone to live where they don't feel comfortable, but scaring this girl who is moving to Savannah is not the answer either. If she is careful, she should be fine in Savannah.

The reality of what is going on in Savannah is that the downtown area is becoming too expensive for alot of people. This is causing most of the people who commit the crimes to be forced out of the downtown area, probably mostly to Midtown.

I would recommend anyone moving to Savannah to buy a piece of property between Forsyth Park and Victory BLVD as close to Bull Street as they can afford. This area, in five years, will be very expensive and untouchable for most middle class families. You can buy a beautiful Victorian House for a reasonable price right now, especially after this downturn in the market. And it is not that dangerous right now.
You need to get your facts straight. The crime rate in Savannah GA has not decreased in the last 10 years and the majority of the crime takes place between Forsyth Park and Victory Dr. I do agree that the area is up and coming but it has in no means arrived. There are many good streets that have updated houses and nice condos in the big victorian homes but one street over the bad elements remain. The area you are encouraging is still very much in walking distance for people that like to steal, rape, and assault among other things. The crime map that is put out every week is proof and cannot be disputed.

I am a Savannah resident that loves downtown and the area you are talking about. I am downtown all the time. But the facts are the facts. Check out the crime map.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:47 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,791 posts, read 4,158,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
This handgun thing kinda freaks me out. A lot of people are carrying them these days, mostly white Christian types who live in suburbs. I think Rush musta told them to.
Good grief. Such a stupid comment that even I am speechless.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:07 AM

11,398 posts, read 24,473,730 times
This is a phenomenon I've personally observed in my god-fearing relatives and relations. Because of what I noticed with them, I did further research and discovered it is, indeed, a new trend based on the right's fear that gun laws will be tightened exactly at a time when they're feeling most politically vulnerable.

I may be making light of it in my statement, but if you like, I can cite my references.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:05 PM

214 posts, read 900,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
This is a phenomenon I've personally observed in my god-fearing relatives and relations. Because of what I noticed with them, I did further research and discovered it is, indeed, a new trend based on the right's fear that gun laws will be tightened exactly at a time when they're feeling most politically vulnerable.

I may be making light of it in my statement, but if you like, I can cite my references.
Sound like the "white Christian types" are finally using Wisdom. Low income crime is a plague in our city and other cities that politicians could care less about addressing. People have to do something to protect themselves.

As far as gun laws being tightened, do you not think that is a relevant concern with the new liberal majority?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:24 PM

11,398 posts, read 24,473,730 times
We all know there's a lot of debate about whether or not gun ownership raises or lowers the crime rate. With so many guns out there already, restricting hand gun ownership is sort of like closing the gate after the cow has escaped. No point in it.

I've lived in plenty of scary places and done just fine without a gun. My former drug dealing neighbors never shot or pointed theirs at me, so I guess it wasn't a bad policy. Not that I was that fond of living in such bizarre circumstances. I just never felt the need for a gun.

EDIT: That's not entirely true. I'd really like to have a sweet little 22 rifle to shoot cans and the occasional squirrel when I go out to the country.

Last edited by ellie; 02-22-2009 at 06:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area