Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:21 PM

214 posts, read 901,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlaughard View Post
I want to be in the downtown area, I know for sure. Is the area around Forsyth Park safe, or is it all scary too?

I am looking to share a room with someone too. I have to establish myself before I can get a place all my own!
gaflsc is not a good representative of the downtown area. The crime is not like he says. The area you asked about can be sketchy but the closer you get to the park and further north you will be fine. I check the crime maps daily and the problems he speaks of are very exaggerarated.

The prices could be higher but that is not always the case either. Sounds like you are looking for a 1 BR and you should be able to find that in a safe area of downtown for an affordable rate.

What do you need to pay per month and would a 1 BR be adequate enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 09:25 PM

6 posts, read 22,576 times
I think I found a nice little place in Ardsley Park, right around my budget too.

A 1 bedroom would be perfect. And as close to the park as possible. I am also fine with sharing a house with someone. I just don't know any of the area. Since my post last night, actually a few job prospects have come through.

As for pay, I am looking anywhere between $0-$650.

Can you suggest some other neighborhoods to look at, other than Ardsley? I will have a car, but would love to be able to walk to see things. (Remember, I will be a tourist for the first year or so!)

I was told by an old friend that Savannah is a "walking town." So that's what I intend to do! (Or Bike :-) )

Old 03-04-2009, 09:55 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,212,758 times
Ardsley Park is not really a Park. It's a section of town that is about 4-5 easy miles from the historic district. It is a nice section. It would also be near bus transportation. It would also be good for bike riding.

The Park that you mentioned that you wanted to be near may be Forsyth Park.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:05 AM

11,403 posts, read 24,498,175 times
Live Oak and E. Anderson is not (technically) downtown but is pretty far east. I know people who live out there, and no, I don't think it is a particularly safe area. But you could do worse...I guess...

It's pretty close to Waters Ave. which has had some fairly intensive gang activity, particularly around 37th and Waters.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:11 AM

737 posts, read 2,462,833 times
I know a guy that lives in Ardsley that is looking for a roomate.
He's a charter captain over here on Wilmington.
Drop me a DM/PM, or email, with your email addy, and I'll let him know.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:37 AM

970 posts, read 2,955,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG3 View Post
gaflsc is not a good representative of the downtown area. The crime is not like he says. The area you asked about can be sketchy but the closer you get to the park and further north you will be fine. I check the crime maps daily and the problems he speaks of are very exaggerarated.

The prices could be higher but that is not always the case either. Sounds like you are looking for a 1 BR and you should be able to find that in a safe area of downtown for an affordable rate.

What do you need to pay per month and would a 1 BR be adequate enough?
I'm not? Son, how long have you lived in Savannah?

Old 03-05-2009, 11:25 AM

6 posts, read 22,576 times
To be honest. If I could find a room even that meets these requirements, I'd be the happiest panda ever.

1. Close to all the cool things downtown (Historic Builldings, Mercer House, Restaurants...)
2. Be able to ride my bike to those places, without dying from the heat.
3. I have a brand new car, so I would like for it to remain intact
4. I would enjoy not being mugged or stabbed or anything along those lines when I leave at night.
(or during the day for that matter)

I am a quiet guy, and like things around me to be that way. In Ohio, I lived in a place that overlooked a freeway, and the sound in the summer drove me bananas.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:52 PM

236 posts, read 699,770 times
Savannah is not that dangerous. Just don't be a moron. If you're out at 3am, you're being a moron. Use some common sense. Ardsley Park is nice for someone without children. I lived there for 2 years and really enjoyed the area. My 3 year old and I would ride the bike to Daffin Park to watch the Sand Gnats games. That's also how we got to the St Patrick's Day celebration. It's also a great area to walk in. We used to walk to Clary's on Habersham on Sundays to get a newspaper and a cup of coffee.

You sound intelligent enough. Sink yourself into the community because it's a very neat place to live in your situation. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Michael

Old 03-05-2009, 06:55 PM

236 posts, read 699,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
I'm not? Son, how long have you lived in Savannah?
I hate that reference......quite a shill comment.

Just sayin',

Michael

Old 03-06-2009, 05:00 AM

11,403 posts, read 24,498,175 times
You need to stay within 4 blocks of Forsyth Park, more or less. You can go north or south almost as far as you please, but to keep it simple, that's my suggestion. I browsed Craig's list and came up with one likely candidate. Studio apartment wih some utilities included (Gaston) (http://savannah.craigslist.org/apa/1061788248.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area