Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:22 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times

Advertisements

How would you describe the differences between Charleston (SC) and Savannah?

To me...it seems like Savannah is more leafy mossy...a bit more grander larger homes, etc...whereas Charleston is more condensed colorful homes that come right up to the streets themselves, etc.

What are other things you might see as differences or even similarities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:42 AM

737 posts, read 2,458,958 times
Charleston is in SC.
Savannah is in GA.

HTH

Old 04-11-2009, 05:05 PM

80 posts, read 370,320 times
What's the difference between the schools?

Old 04-11-2009, 05:15 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Charleston (at least the historic district) has a much more urban feel than Savannah. Charleston is about 100 years older, feels more polished, seems wealthier, and more touristy. On my visits there I'm always impressed by the variety of shops, restaurants, and cultural venues. Not that Savannah doesn't have some of this, it just seems that Charleston has more.

Charleston has the reputation of being more elitist, though it rates as a friendlier place according to some national poll. Savannah is greener due to its squares. Charleston has Spoleto and Savannah has the Music Festival.

Savannah and Charleston have long been rivals in many ways, with Savannah being the younger sister. However, if you are ever traveling outside the region and see two people from Charleston and Savannah meet up, it would be as if they'd each found a long lost friend. Very funny relationship.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:52 AM

970 posts, read 2,950,019 times
Chucktown has been in the tourist racket longer, so they have a leg up on us. But our port is larger & busier than theirs. We're always in competition with each other, and both have poor public schools to boot.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:13 PM

80 posts, read 370,320 times
Chucktown?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:02 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,925 times
Chucktown or Chas is synonymous for Charleston. Hoping you didn't think Chucktown was another word for Savannah! LOL I kid, I kid..

As for the ports, yes, Georgia Ports Authority in Savannah is busier than Charleston's, however, I'm hoping the Jasper Port Terminal on the other side of the Savannah River will help both terminals in Savannah & Charleston come together to compete with places like NY/NJ & Norfolk. Time will tell...

Old 05-04-2009, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 8,976 times
My husband and I visited Charleston a couple of years ago for a long weekend, from Savannah. We were weighing which city we liked better based on feel, resturants and shops we encountered, etc.

Savannah won because we could walk around with our beer.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:19 AM

182 posts, read 711,149 times
I recently went to Charleston and drove around, it seemed like Charleston might be more spread out than Savannah. Lots of roads going every which way, But maybe its because I am now used to Savannah's grid-like streets.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,759 times
We just went to Charleston and Savannah. We want to relocate and were trying to decide between the two. Charleston seems to be more affluent, touristy, and snooty. Savannah seems to be a bit more down to earth. Just my impression, I am not from either place and I loved both. It's just that feeling you get when you visit. Go to both, see which is more your style. We love both, Savannah suits us better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area