Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 05:34 PM

27 posts, read 69,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
worst.
youtube.
evar.
second that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 AM

433 posts, read 1,770,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightened1 View Post
I don't know though it does seem like there is a seedy side of Savannah that is infested with crime and does kind of resemble Haiti. I'm not trying to insult Savannah and I think some parts are beautiful and probably a nice place to live. Course I am no stranger to crime and vice having lived in Atlanta and Cincinnati which are also crime infested. I'm just trying to determine what all of yawl think of this video?

YouTube - Welcome To Savannah/Suav
I'm not even going to read the other posts because I am tired of hearing the locals/defenders saying there is no more crime in Savannah than there is in New York or Chicago. This isn't a major metropolitan city. It's a southern town. Savannah is no doubt beautiful and most people outside of Savannah have a "romantic" view of the city. It isn't like that. This video shows the other side and it is real. The projects surround the beautiful historic district. There is a lot of poor and there is a lot of crime. I was afraid to send my child to the public middle school for fear of his safety. I would never have sent my kids to any public High School in Savannah. After living there 2 years we left. Moved to another state. I have lived in many different states in my life and have experienced the different cultures of those places and I have to say Savannah is not a place I miss nor do I plan to ever visit it again. We lived in a great neighborhood and the people in Savannah are so nice. I never experienced any crime personally but it is always there. It was hitting too close to home for us. We never really felt comfortable in Savannah. Before we moved we thought Savannah might be the place we could settle and live in for a long time. Maybe forever. Within 4 months of living there I knew we would eventually move. I'm glad we did.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:37 AM

1,303 posts, read 3,860,183 times
Well Savannah in a lot of ways is like a little New Orleans.. so yes you will find some pretty impoverished areas in Savannah like you will in NOLA.. but the seedy areas don't really dominate the city.. much less so than in NOLA.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:46 AM

27 posts, read 69,928 times
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilrmkr View Post
I'm not even going to read the other posts because I am tired of hearing the locals/defenders saying there is no more crime in Savannah than there is in New York or Chicago. This isn't a major metropolitan city. It's a southern town. Savannah is no doubt beautiful and most people outside of Savannah have a "romantic" view of the city. It isn't like that. This video shows the other side and it is real. The projects surround the beautiful historic district. There is a lot of poor and there is a lot of crime. I was afraid to send my child to the public middle school for fear of his safety. I would never have sent my kids to any public High School in Savannah. After living there 2 years we left. Moved to another state. I have lived in many different states in my life and have experienced the different cultures of those places and I have to say Savannah is not a place I miss nor do I plan to ever visit it again. We lived in a great neighborhood and the people in Savannah are so nice. I never experienced any crime personally but it is always there. It was hitting too close to home for us. We never really felt comfortable in Savannah. Before we moved we thought Savannah might be the place we could settle and live in for a long time. Maybe forever. Within 4 months of living there I knew we would eventually move. I'm glad we did.
#1. I read all of the posts & havent yet read one that states there wasn't crime in Savannah, their point was that there was crime, but people blew it out of proportion. I take someones opinion that has lived here for years over you, who wanted out after 4 months.
#2 You contradicted yourself by saying you never experienced any crime personally. If you never experienced it, what is your proof?
#3 If you refuse to read other peoples posts then what makes people want to listen to you? Especially when its more than obvious you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:11 AM

I don't know what I am talking about that Savannah has crime? How do you know that New York has crime? You see it on the news! If you live in a city with a lot of crime you talk to your neighbors, you see it on the news, you see and hear it everywhere!!!! Are you kidding me? I know what a city is like after living there for 2 years. Not 4 months.

Aren't you the one who was asking if the video was accurate? It Is!!!! There you go. That's what you wanted.

Read the other board to see what people really think of Savannah. This isn't my first time here.

Think a little before you write something. You totally contradicted yourself in asking for an opinoin and then not liking the answer!

Moderator cut: no need for name calling, please !

Last edited by MB2; 05-08-2009 at 05:22 AM..

Old 05-07-2009, 11:15 AM

Oh, I shouldn't have been so harsh. I looked at your picture and your are young and foolish. You can't possible have the life experience to know what is good or bad especially when you are trying to look out for what is best for your children. You can't possible know what it is like to live in many places and experience life in those places and know which are good and which are not.

I'm going to chalk up your answer to your having no life experience.

Young and foolish.

I'll also chalk up the fact that you asked for an opinion and then when you get it you blame that person for their thoughts because they aren't what you want to hear. Why ask if you aren't going to listen?

Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 PM

737 posts, read 2,461,012 times
Forgive me for butting in?
To all/most of the above...
Give me a fokkin break.
Most of the posters have lived in Savannah/down heah for their whole lives.
Many have not experienced the stuff that goes on in other major cities.
They have just watched the decline in their "Home Town".
And it is sad.
But I been in places that you wouldn't ever wanna be in.
And compared to most of them...
Savannah is Nirvana.
You keep bad mouthing my new home, and yet you've never been anywhere else?
Like I've said/written before...
Spend some time in the South Bronx, or SE San Diego, and you will come home kissing the ground you are standing on.

Just my 26cents woth, is all.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:03 PM

42 posts, read 132,741 times
Hah. I remember hearing this song when I first started highschool...(my highschool was about 80% african american), man...I found it hilarious then, and still do now.

I've been on Victory..41st...Waters..all of that...you can walk around fine without a nine.

That video blows it all out of proportion, just like every rap video does. Pay it no mind.

Here, just watch this.

YouTube - Welcome to Savannah!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:25 PM

36 posts, read 147,682 times
That video does blow it out of porportion. I watched it several months ago, I can't stand "rap" as I don't consider it music.

If you are aware of your surroundings, Savannah is very safe during the daytime. I wouldn't recommend walking around downtown or in some areas at night without a friend or a big dog, however.

The majority of crime I see in police reports isn't random violent crime, it's auto theft, vandalism, theft (bikes) and the like. Not to say that is good, but it's better than random acts of violence directly against random people.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:25 PM

13 posts, read 46,949 times
Wow, talk about ghetto!!! And I'm not talking about the fools in the video, I'm talking about the production and sound quality!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: