Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:16 PM

79 posts, read 416,674 times

Advertisements

I have been going through the threads here and I understand that SAA is the best high school in Chatham county, are there any pre-requisites to get into this school? Is it considered a charter school?

I searched for homes using the SAA zip code but in the details SAA is not listed as the school for the homes in that zip code.

I am also looking at Richmond Hill High School.

We have a daughter who will be a senior next fall and another one starting high school.

Thanks, any info is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 06:40 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
It is a magnet school, with open enrollment throughout the district. Search some of the threads in here. Savannah Arts is a performing Arts high school you have to audition in order to get in along with a 85 or higher average in you classes. For your younger daughter coming in Savannah Arts would be great if she meets these requirements. Your older daughter would need to contact the school. What area of Savannah are you moving to and why? Transfer? The reason I ask is Savannah is very spread out and takes a long time to get from point a to b. Richmond Hill looks good until you do the drive.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:18 PM

726 posts, read 3,602,870 times
SAA is not just the best in Chatham County but the best school in the region.

Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools (http://www.sccpss.com/District/Communications+and+Media+Relations/Media+Releases/November+2009/Savannah+Arts+Academy+Named+School+of+Excellence-November+6.htm - broken link)

http://www.sccpss.com/NR/rdonlyres/BEF3E37B-31DB-42E5-B74D-85492A8BA890/26464/20102011UnderstandingtheAdmissionsProcess.pdf (broken link)

http://www.sccpss.com/NR/rdonlyres/BEF3E37B-31DB-42E5-B74D-85492A8BA890/26280/20102011InformationandRequirements.pdf (broken link)

http://www.sccpss.com/NR/rdonlyres/BEF3E37B-31DB-42E5-B74D-85492A8BA890/26279/TourDates09.pdf (broken link)

There is also other "Magnet" programs:
International Baccalaureate
Sol C. Johnson High School, Savannah, Georgia (http://www.sccpss.com/Schools/High+Schools/Johnson+High+School/ib/ - broken link)

Early College
Early College Program, Savannah, Georgia (http://www.sccpss.com/Schools/Other+Educational+Centers/Early+College/ - broken link)

Honors Academy
H.V. Jenkins High School - Honors Academy (Public)

West Chatham Preparatory Academy a new charter High School is being built in Pooler http://site.westchathamprepacademy.com/Home.php (broken link)

Last edited by bgnzsavnh; 11-11-2009 at 12:42 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 12:28 PM

Default Thanks Bellhead....

I did more research on SAA and realized that this may not be the right school for my girls, they like the arts but are not at that caliber. Anyway, at this point I am leaning towards RHS after looking at test scores and going on greatschools.net.

After reading some of the threads, it seems like the Chatham county school system is a bit sketchy and may be going through some changes, besides a couple of high schools that seem decent but not very consistent throughout. I also looked into Effingham county but that area may be a bit rural for us. We like having access to good restaurants (not chains) and shopping.

We would be moving to Savannah for DH's job, we have lived in Macon and in Conyers. In the past we have visited Savannah and really enjoyed our time there. DH was there recently and did say that if we were to choose RH, we would have to look in the Buckhead subdivision area and no further as that would make his commute longer.

We also have a 5 year old so elementary schools are also important.

On this forum you all talk about the islands a lot, I am curious as to whether any of these have good schools. It gets a bit confusing since Chatham county has so many schools, to know which islands they are located on.

And I assuming housing, utilities and insurance costs more on the islands also.

So many options and ways to look at it, it can be very overwhelming but my first priority is finding good schools. I understand there are some very good private schools but my kids are now in private schools and quite frankly we are getting poor paying such high tuition especially with one in college and one soon on her way...we also have a 20 year old son.

Sorry for the long post....thanks for the time.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:41 PM

bgnzsavnh thanks,
I hadn't heard about those except for Sol. C Johnson. My older daughter is doing IB certificate now but my younger would not want to do IB. Our local public HS has a wonderful AP program but if you are not in AP, you are just another student fending for themselves. Is that how these schools are? And since they are magnet schools there is a lottery system to get in and then there is no guarantee, is that right?

Old 11-11-2009, 02:48 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
"The Islands" usually refers to mainly Wilmington and Whitemarsh and those surrounding them, such as Isle of Armstrong, Talahi, and others. There is also Isle of Hope, Skidaway Island, Dutch Island and Wylly Island.

The elementary schools on the Islands are being changed to K-5 and 6-8 (or maybe k-4 and 5-8, I forget) The Coastal Middle School is being changed to a High School that will mainly serve the Island areas.

Richmond Hill is growing rapidly and the School System will probably experience growing pains in the near future.

Your husband will get tired of the commute to RH very soon. The time he spends in the traffic could be better spent at home.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,020 times
Does anyone know when the changes to the island schools will take effect? We are looking at relocating after the first of the year and was wondering if the change would be as soon fall of 2010.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:23 PM

Thank you all for your input.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:17 PM

726 posts, read 3,602,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama4mia View Post
bgnzsavnh thanks,
I hadn't heard about those except for Sol. C Johnson. My older daughter is doing IB certificate now but my younger would not want to do IB. Our local public HS has a wonderful AP program but if you are not in AP, you are just another student fending for themselves. Is that how these schools are? And since they are magnet schools there is a lottery system to get in and then there is no guarantee, is that right?
I have not heard of any qualified student being refused entry. the Charter schools have limits.
Check with the schools about Quotas.

"if you are not in AP, you are just another student fending for themselves." Standard for all GA schools

Old 12-08-2009, 08:25 AM

7 posts, read 11,968 times
I'm very curious to know more about the Coastal Middle School being made into a highschool for the Island kids. We've been contemplating moving to Savannah for a few years now. We would love to live on Wilmington....right between the Historic District and the ocean!!! However, the high schools have always steered me to look closer at Richmond Hill or Effingham Cnty. This would be great if they had a high school on Wilmington. Does anyone know specifics???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area