Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 02:29 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times

Advertisements

I got delayed at the SAV airport yesterday because of weather conditions across the S.E. What saved the day for me and brought me joy was the way our troops exiting their flights were applauded.

The only bright spot in a horrible day. . .especially for flying.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:10 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
That's nice to hear.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:27 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times
Whether a person agrees or disagrees with the foreign policy of our nation, I firmly believe in SUPPORTING OUR TROOPS.
They have my support, respect, and thanks.
I will always applaud and thank anyone who has served our country.
Maybe that comes from 3 generations of my family serving this country.
My Dad, myself, and my 2 Sons.
And I applaud and thank the families who worry everyday about sons and daughters being in harms way. They deserve support also.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:44 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,519 times
I used to be in the military. When I came home from Iraq a few years ago, I got that same welcome in the Atlanta airport. I will never forget how good I felt that very moment. So I applaud Americans for still taking the time to show your support for troops in a time where the two-front has fallen to the media wayside and people tend to forget that there are in fact many Americans still fighting and dying every day.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:36 AM

199 posts, read 627,704 times
a big amen brother!!

Old 05-16-2010, 10:22 AM

51 posts, read 162,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Whether a person agrees or disagrees with the foreign policy of our nation, I firmly believe in SUPPORTING OUR TROOPS.
I think I support them quite well enough with my tax money, which compensates them at rates much better than the private sector (check out the article in the NYT), offers them tricare for life, early retirement, free education, etc. Perhaps we should also offer them Bentleys and gold wrapped candies when we congratulate them for doing their job when they come back home.

Before people flame me, I say this as someone in the coast guard reserve. Although I benefit from the health insurance through the reserve, I agree with secretary of defense Gates when he said that we have to do something with the bloated benefits. It's literally bankrupting us.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:24 AM

107 posts, read 217,281 times
OMG are you kidding me you are in the reserve honey! Have you ever been over to Iraq and Afganistan???? If not don't open your mouth untill you have walked and slept in it ok!!!!! I worry for my husband everyday that he will come home safe to be with his 4 children and wife who supports him 150% and I grieve everyday for all the brothers and sisters who were lost from protecting YOU and I man you are just boiling my blood right now!!!!!

Old 05-17-2010, 06:49 AM

51 posts, read 162,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by officerwife2005 View Post
OMG are you kidding me you are in the reserve honey! Have you ever been over to Iraq and Afganistan???? If not don't open your mouth untill you have walked and slept in it ok!!!!! I worry for my husband everyday that he will come home safe to be with his 4 children and wife who supports him 150% and I grieve everyday for all the brothers and sisters who were lost from protecting YOU and I man you are just boiling my blood right now!!!!!
No offense meant. But I am in the Coast Guard precisely so I don't have to go to Iraq and Afghanistan. Who does want to go there? Joining the Army or Marines is a sucker's game unless you go through ROTC or OCS. There's a reason why the Coast Guard has less than a 10% acceptance rate, and the Army will give waivers to people with criminal backgrounds! It's generally those people who don't care about being deployed to a third world country. I find nothing inherently noble about that.

Before you rant and rave about HIM protecting ME, I hope you remember that next time you or someone you love is stranded and drowning in the ocean. It may be me jumping into the water to save you.

Nevertheless, I'm sorry that your husband got deployed and I hope he comes back intact.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:25 AM

107 posts, read 217,281 times
Ok well this will be my last post...... There are certian people my husband included where as they have NO choice to deploy! This is my husbands 3rd tour when he joined the army I understand it was his choice and a noble one at that! and I am not saying that being in the service is all peaches and cream which it's not! BUT I am sure if you are wearing your uniform you will get thanked and aplaused as well for protecting those entering the ocean! And we pay taxes as well as others and I dont appreciate that comment about getting bentleys and gold wraped candies when they return! Remember you have never had to deal with being over there so until you know you can't say a thing about taxes and all that other crap.

P.S thanks for the comment about him returing "intact" I pray for it everynight that he returns safe!

Last edited by officerwife2005; 05-17-2010 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 AM

42 posts, read 129,395 times
[quote=Robhu;13312247]Whether a person agrees or disagrees with the foreign policy of our nation, I firmly believe in SUPPORTING OUR TROOPS.

I'm someone who is fiercely opposed to the war in Iraq -- but I absolutely feel the same way. Your previous president and Congress are to blame for foreign policy decisions -- not the individuals who are in many cases stop lossed, lured into the army as high schoolers by recruiters, or have no other feasible way to afford a college education.

I'm not sure that fighting in Iraq is actually protecting "my life," as I'm not sure to what degree anything in Iraq was *ever* a threat to anyone's life in the US. However, what cannot be argued with is that these men and women risk THEIR lives every single day while deployed.

When you applaud, you are applauding their survival, their bravery and the undoubted suffering they and their families have experienced -- you are not applauding the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area