Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 09:52 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,860,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
worshiping the sun or moon is about as logical as worshiping my big toe. It's all created matter--and doesn't explain how everything got here to start with.
Well, you're now talking like those who mock your beliefs. Don't worry about all that, because the religions you're speaking of have their own "genesis" (and they don't require moon and sun "gods" for it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 10:21 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,625,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Well, you're now talking like those who mock your beliefs. Don't worry about all that, because the religions you're speaking of have their own "genesis" (and they don't require moon and sun "gods" for it).
I honestly don't care. I haven't been arguing for or against any particular deity when I say abiogenesis is illogical.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I honestly don't care. I haven't been arguing for or against any particular deity when I say abiogenesis is illogical.
Then try not to talk about things you don't care. If not for you, we wouldn't be talking moon and sun gods.

Now, how exactly is abiogenesis illogical? It doesn't take much to realize that human body is mostly water, and water is made up of the most abundant inorganic elements in the universe (hydrogen and oxygen). Are you saying that it is illogical to say that a living being is comprised of inorganic matter? What are you made up of, if not inorganic matter?

Old 08-15-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Then try not to talk about things you don't care. If not for you, we wouldn't be talking moon and sun gods.

Now, how exactly is abiogenesis illogical? It doesn't take much to realize that human body is mostly water, and water is made up of the most abundant inorganic elements in the universe (hydrogen and oxygen). Are you saying that it is illogical to say that a living being is comprised of inorganic matter? What are you made up of, if not inorganic matter?
Because it's generally agreed upon that to get life, it has to be produced from life.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Because it's generally agreed upon that to get life, it has to be produced from life.
Only in your imagination. You've been put in place once earlier, and I will gladly do it again. But to get there, I sure hope you don't have an issue with the idea that your body is made up of inorganic matter at the element level? What is the most common ingredient (element) of a human body? We will get to "life" eventually.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Only in your imagination. You've been put in place once earlier, and I will gladly do it again. But to get there, I sure hope you don't have an issue with the idea that your body is made up of inorganic matter at the element level? What is the most common ingredient (element) of a human body? We will get to "life" eventually.
Show me how we get life from something not living. If you do I'll shut up about it. Until then it's a fairy tale.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Show me how we get life from something not living. If you do I'll shut up about it. Until then it's a fairy tale.
I couldn't have shown you a smart phone with the capabilities I see today, even two decades ago. Does that mean it was impossible? Give it time.

But, I'd advised you to take one step at a time... unless it is not your style. So, are you not made up of some basic inorganic elements? I'm pretty sure life required presence of something that could carry it unless you can provide an evidence to the contrary.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I couldn't have shown you a smart phone with the capabilities I see today, even two decades ago. Does that mean it was impossible? Give it time.

But, I'd advised you to take one step at a time... unless it is not your style. So, are you not made up of some basic inorganic elements? I'm pretty sure life required presence of something that could carry it unless you can provide an evidence to the contrary.

You're making no sense. That's an intellectual cop-out. You're doing the equivalent of believing in a god of the gaps...only from a biologists point of view.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
You're making no sense. That's an intellectual cop-out. You're doing the equivalent of believing in a god of the gaps...only from a biologists point of view.
I think you're getting my point, but now want to avoid it to maintain your "indispensable" rhetoric at any cost. Or may be you do see life as being independent of the body, in which case, why exactly do you worry about abiogenesis, again?

Old 08-15-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I think you're getting my point, but now want to avoid it to maintain your "indispensable" rhetoric at any cost. Or may be you do see life as being independent of the body, in which case, why exactly do you worry about abiogenesis, again?
I mean what I said--you're avoiding the argument. You think creationists are idiots but you seem to think that believing in abiogenesis of the gaps is somehow reasonable. You have no other way to explain how life began...but you're too proud to admit it might have been a creator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology