Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 08:32 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times

Advertisements

How about this for people putting themselves out of a job...

A group of people in New York City staged walkouts on the chain food restaurants demanding a $15-an-hour minimum wage — more than double the current minimum.

Meanwhile San Francisco-based Momentum Machines has invented a robotic burger-maker that does the work equivalent of three full-time (human) kitchen employees. That’s 360 burgers created per hour with no complaints about wages, and no walkouts.

What New York’s service-sector unions and their allies don’t realize is that their fight is no longer with management — it’s with technology. And it’s a fight they can’t win.

MMMM robo-burger:

Fast-food: Higher wages vs. robots—Michael Saltsman - NYPOST.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 PM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
I've written before about technology and "smart" robotics taking out low paying jobs. The machine made burger actually has been done before, and pizzas and soft drinks are sometimes handled this way. Sanitation is an issue. The mechanics of most schemes are pretty simple. Keeping the equipment clean and sanitary and EASY to clean is much harder.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I've written before about technology and "smart" robotics taking out low paying jobs. The machine made burger actually has been done before, and pizzas and soft drinks are sometimes handled this way. Sanitation is an issue. The mechanics of most schemes are pretty simple. Keeping the equipment clean and sanitary and EASY to clean is much harder.
Would you be willing to share a link or sourcing info? I'd be interested in reading your findings. But if you don't want to reveal personal information on a forum, I understand.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:40 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
A machine spit in your hamburger. Or take a bite out of it before wrapping it, which I had happen at a Wendy's.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
How about this for people putting themselves out of a job...
Now they can go get a job designing, manufacturing and repairing robots. This is actually a good thing, one thing cheap labor does is hinder innovation.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Default mechanization of Fast food

Anyone remember the old Automat Restaurants? Walk in; get a bunch of nickels and ding, ding, ding a sandwich appeared from the wall. Given the look on the faces of some fast food denizens the robots are already here.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 PM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Would you be willing to share a link or sourcing info? I'd be interested in reading your findings. But if you don't want to reveal personal information on a forum, I understand.
The pizza automation is stuff I saw first hand at a couple of the theatre trade shows back in the late 1990s. Showest and Showeast. Don't remember the vendor offhand.

I believe that there was an article on the hamburger automation in an old Pop Science or Pop Mechanics (available for free on Google books) Sometime in the 1950s, 1960s?

The drinks automation was something I saw being tested at a local McDonalds. It looked to be a variation of the old vending machines that post mixed soda in a cup. I remember a couple of those were still in use in some theatres in the 1980s. I had to exchange the syrup bottles and do some basic maintenance on them. The insides were roach heaven and once I had seen what the interior workings were, I NEVER got a drink from one again. Disgusting doesn't begin to cover it.

One of the food or cooking channels had a program on automated food, and there was a Canadian program I used to watch "How Is It Made" or something like that, that regularly covered various portion control apparatus, automated baggers, and food automation.

After you have disassembled jet-sprays, popcorn machines, and other stuff, automation doesn't seem as tasty. Without constant proper supervision, food prep gets ugly. There were some concession areas where I knew to bag the computers and bug bomb them before working on them.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:18 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Anyone remember the old Automat Restaurants? Walk in; get a bunch of nickels and ding, ding, ding a sandwich appeared from the wall. Given the look on the faces of some fast food denizens the robots are already here.
Horn & Hardart....

Old 12-10-2012, 05:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Default automat

Thanks for the picture.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:06 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,916,615 times
People will pay for quality. Take In-N-Out as an example. In California, they start their workers out at $10.00 per hour (25% higher than the $8.00 minimum wage) and it quickly goes up from their. Managers make over $100k. The food is expensive, but that doesn't stop people from lining up around the block to get it. They don't do coupons. They don't have sales. They also have one of the simplest menus in the world (burgers, fries and drinks, nothing else).

Roboburger is going to be a flop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology