Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 08:08 PM

167 posts, read 377,800 times

Advertisements

Does anyone out there have hyperthymesia?

Has it usually been a blessing or a curse?

I have hyperthymesia and was wondering if there other people out there with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 03:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post
I have hyperthymesia and was wondering if there other people out there with it.
According to hyperthymesia.org there are only 12 people in the world with this condition, so what are the chances any of the other 11 reads CDF?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
According to hyperthymesia.org there are only 12 people in the world with this condition, so what are the chances any of the other 11 reads CDF?
There are only 12 documented people. Although a rare condition, there are others with it out there. They probably just haven't come out yet. And they might not even know that they have it. I didn't know until I learned about it in my psychology class in college.

And you do know that reported statistics aren't always reliable, right? A lot of underreporting goes on.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
What are the symptoms?

Old 07-31-2014, 10:58 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What are the symptoms?
Nearly total memory recall about details of almost every day of their lives. I'd guess an exception would be during infancy.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Nearly total memory recall about details of almost every day of their lives. I'd guess an exception would be during infancy.
You can remember events in great detail from the age of puberty and onward.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:55 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post
You can remember events in great detail from the age of puberty and onward.
I figured at some point early on such individuals wouldn't be the same as later. I recall things from my very early childhood, but mostly as highlights rather than full detail. What you're talking about is much different though.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:02 AM

214 posts, read 230,733 times
I hope the OP doesn't equate simply possessing an excellent memory to being afflicted with hyperthymesia.

They are not the same.

Hyperthymesiacs have the ability to recall not only detailed past events in their lives, but also on what EXACT DATE they occurred. And not just important events, but ANY day. You give them a date, say, April 3rd, 1996 and they'd be able to TRUTHFULLY recount: "Yeah, that was a Saturday and I was laying on the couch watching the Dodgers game and my neighbor Tommy came over and asked me to help him jumpstart his new Dodge Challenger."

THIS is the condition that psychiatric professionals reckon only 10-20 people in the entire world have.

Excellent memories are a dime a dozen. Hell, I can remember going to Disneyland when I was 7 and spilling my ice cream on Mickey. I also recall our home phone number when I was around that age. And I'm not that special, trust me! LOL

Old 08-02-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre_Corriendo View Post
I hope the OP doesn't equate simply possessing an excellent memory to being afflicted with hyperthymesia.

They are not the same.

Hyperthymesiacs have the ability to recall not only detailed past events in their lives, but also on what EXACT DATE they occurred. And not just important events, but ANY day. You give them a date, say, April 3rd, 1996 and they'd be able to TRUTHFULLY recount: "Yeah, that was a Saturday and I was laying on the couch watching the Dodgers game and my neighbor Tommy came over and asked me to help him jumpstart his new Dodge Challenger."

THIS is the condition that psychiatric professionals reckon only 10-20 people in the entire world have.

Excellent memories are a dime a dozen. Hell, I can remember going to Disneyland when I was 7 and spilling my ice cream on Mickey. I also recall our home phone number when I was around that age. And I'm not that special, trust me! LOL
Yes, I know what hyperthymesia is. I have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology