Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 11:14 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I keep getting these damned calls from Card Services, always with different phone numbers, sometimes 800, other times just random. -- I checked all my credit cards and all are healthy with no unexpected charges. This has been going on for months.

Today I called one back, expecting a disconnected number or something. The person answered, "Card Services." I hung up.

This is just the scam, right?

As a secondary question, has anybody ever asked their CC company to give them an entirely different credit card number, just "because?"

And as a final thought, I'm thinking of changing my phone number. I'm getting several junk calls a day everything from what I described above, to calls where nobody ever says anything after I answer, all of them from all over. It's got to the point where I don't even answer my phone most of the time unless I recognize the caller ID or phone number. It's turned my phone into almost a useless piece of junk. -- It's just the thought of all the utilities and businesses and everybody else I'd have to update my phone number with (particularly business related) or I would have changed my phone number long time ago.

One of my favorite caller IDs is "800 SERVICE." At least I know that one is fake for sure. Unless it just means it's any 800 number. But I get 800 calls without that too.

Card Services is a scam. They call everyone and have nothing to do with your credit card company. Have you tried nomorobo https://www.nomorobo.com/ and then report the numbers as they come in. I have used nomorobo and they are safe. Florida is suing them https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/ft...bocaller-again. The thing to change is not your credit card number but your phone number. Unfortunately for most that is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 11:33 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
For a long time we got Rachel at Credit Card Services, then a rotating type of scam call. Even our cell phones are affected. We do not answer anything we do not know but let it go to answering machine. We are on the Do Not Call List which is totally ineffective.
Actually, I think the list IS effective -- for people who aren't criminals. I have not gotten a call from a "real," legitimate business in YEARS, and I credit the Do Not Call registry for that. HOWEVER, scammers don't FOLLOW the Do Not Call list -- I mean, they are criminals, why would they obey some list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Note: I am on the Do NOT Call List, the number is unlisted and unpublished. This combination seem to work for me...
Alas, I think a lot of scammers do random-digit dialing (and survey companies including political pollsters definitely do). This means they don't even know if the number is a real number -- they call whatever randomly-generated number the computer tells them to call. So you've likely just been very lucky you haven't gotten THOSE kinds of calls!

OP, like a couple of others who have posted, I NEVER answer calls from numbers I don't know -- but actually, I don't even HEAR them. The default ringtone on my cell phone (I don't have a landline) is SILENT, while friends, family members, colleagues, etc. have a different ringtone (actually several different ringtones). This means that calls from people I know can get through, but those from scammers can't.

The ONLY downside of this is that the first time someone calls me, I won't hear the phone and they will have to leave a message. But of course, if they know me, they normally WILL leave a message, then I'll add them to my Contacts and I'll hear their call the next time. For me, this small glitch in my "system" is a tiny price to pay for NEVER hearing scam calls.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:45 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Actually, I think the list IS effective -- for people who aren't criminals. I have not gotten a call from a "real," legitimate business in YEARS, and I credit the Do Not Call registry for that. HOWEVER, scammers don't FOLLOW the Do Not Call list -- I mean, they are criminals, why would they obey some list?
Same experience for me -- I've been on the do not call list for years but that doesn't stop the bad guys.

When I get a call I suspect is a scammer or spammer, I search for the number in my browser; there are a number of sites where people post their experiences with scammers. 1-800notes.com is one, mrnumber.com is the other I use the most. If it's not a legit business or I don't want them contacting me again, I block them on my iPhone.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:58 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Chances are very likely the caller is trying to scam you of your credit card number to make unauthorized charges. The scammers can easily spoof or "fake" the caller ID.

Thanks for posting this, as it never hurts to share this information with anyone who may not be aware of this type of scam called vishing - "voice phishing" or (phone fraud scam).
Yup. They tell you that there is a "problem" with your account, and to fix it, they need your account number.

Or they are trying to sell a you new account with a better interest rate.

NO (and I repeat, NO) actual credit card company that you would want in your life would do this.

You can always try getting revenge on them -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKOnQGBm1OQ.

The object is to keep them on the phone for as long as possible without giving them anything they want.

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-02-2017 at 02:07 PM..

Old 03-02-2017, 02:01 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I NEVER answer the phone when I do not recognize the number. Ever. If it's important, they will leave a message. They never do. So I am not bothered by these hooligans.
Exactly.

The Do Not Call list simply doesn't mean anything to folks calling from India or Africa.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:21 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

I think that's very true. The number of legit business calls has gone down dramatically for me, since the inception of the DNC list. But yeah, not gonna do a thing with the criminals

Old 03-02-2017, 05:08 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I finally lost it today while I was eating dinner. My phone rang with an area code I didn't recognize, and I picked it up and yelled, "--------------------", a universally recognized two word insult in English, and slammed the phone down!

Heh, I hope it wasn't anybody important.
WHY would you answer if you did not recognize the number? Just do not pick up. It works very well for me.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:47 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Just for the record, I've known about this scam for a couple years. The reason I started the topic is because it has become so frequent lately. Not just the "Card Services" scam, but my phone gets several, a dozen or more calls a day, sometimes two dozen!

No I don't answer most of them unless I recognize the phone number or caller ID. And I have the answer function turned off. My friends have my cell, they'll call me on that number. It's just that I'm getting so annoyed because I do need the land line, but these jerks are making it practically useless, or at least annoying me so much I might as well not have it. -- I could change the number but I suspect many of the calls are block calling (not random) so changing the number won't help if that's true.

I'm just glad my business is being phased out and I'll be a normal retired person in a couple years.

One idea I have is to turn on the answer function and record a "please leave a message" but precede by that distinctive three tone beep sequence you hear before the "disconnected" recording. I wonder how many of the auto-dialer machines respond to that tone by hanging up.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:26 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
I NEVER answer the phone when I do not recognize the number. Ever. If it's important, they will leave a message. They never do. So I am not bothered by these hooligans.

+1

Old 03-03-2017, 04:13 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
This is not a choice for someone in business, like the OP.
It just is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology