Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 06:41 PM

222 posts, read 194,874 times

Advertisements

People of different ages had different views of what it would be like in 2020 but growing up in the nineties movies seemed to not match current times we are still not at total recall or blade runner yet.

I use to enjoy watching beyond 2000 it does seem like we met a lot if the milestones that show set.

I am not sure if we are living in the future yet as I thought it would be growing up flying cars maybe like back to the Future said the future would be.

Today I experienced a kind of future feeling I had a package sent to from Amazon to an Amazon locker I was picking it up scanned my smartphone and a locker popped open with my package I looked to my right and a women was getting a copy of a key at kiosk and then I saw someone at Redbox none if us had any human interaction and did not talk to each other I took my package and thought to my self.

I think we are in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 08:56 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
My friend and I (we were 80's kids and grew up together, BTW) were at McDonald's the other day and ended up sitting next to the the garbage can that would open the lid automatically and say "thank you" when the proximity sensor is triggered.

It was in that moment that we both realized we were in the future... and it was kinda underwhelming.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:47 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,872 times
Post-future. My world has reached the future, has gone well beyond into areas I have no connection with. I dont even have a cellphone, have never seen a kindle or netflix or bluetooth.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:54 PM

222 posts, read 194,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Post-future. My world has reached the future, has gone well beyond into areas I have no connection with. I dont even have a cellphone, have never seen a kindle or netflix or bluetooth.
Are you saying because you were to old to get into those things when they came around ?

Anyways but forty years ago what did you think it would be like in 2017?

Old 12-22-2017, 12:27 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaamburger View Post
Are you saying because you were to old to get into those things when they came around ?

Anyways but forty years ago what did you think it would be like in 2017?
A lot of contributing factors. I knew how to live comfortably and securely without them. In my age cohort, there is no peer pressure to get the latest stuff. The learning curve started getting steep when my VCR flashed 12:00 for five years, and the microwave no longer had a rotary pointer to select cooking time. But I did learn to use a computer, because I thought the future tech would aim for something more instructive than teenagers selfies and fake news.

I never thought, decades ago, that when we abandoned telegrams to make voice calls, that people would ever again want to text me.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:21 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Personally, I think we are very far behind. I believe a lot of what people would call 'future-tech' is suppressed, mainly to keep the public at a certain level for control purposes, as well as maintaining certain industries.

The Invention Secrecy Act of 1951 basically ensured any technology the public has access to, will never be 'that great' or better yet, 'too beneficial to the people'.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:30 AM

4,976 posts, read 2,716,855 times
Default Computers Only

I used to watch Walter Cronkite's "21st Century" show in the 1960s. Interesting projections were discussed. But we are living in the future only in terms of computer technology and the Internet. But no flying cars, no space travel, no life-extending technology, no George Jetson jobs where all you do is press a button...

Old 12-22-2017, 07:41 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times
To me, the "future" is after what's known as Singularity. Basically, it's the idea that technology will change so quickly over such a short period of time that it's impossible to predict where it might take us. Normally it's used in relation to AI, but it could be other things.... anyway, the folks who've been talking about it the longest (idea is from the 1950's) tend to put the Earliest start time at about now, with most agreeing on closer to 2030.

Life is not substantially different today than it was when I grew up in the 1970's. Heck, I've been "online" since 1984 (first computer in our house, dad had one in his office for several years before that), so even the computer/tech aspect isn't really New, just smaller/faster/more efficient.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:10 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,338,834 times
Well, no, but tomorrow we'll be living in the future. No, wait, once we get to tomorrow it'll be today and then it won't be the future any more...

Old 12-22-2017, 08:22 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,605,245 times
It's cool how we can all use this forum to communicate instantly across the globe about how underwhelming the future is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology