Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 02:12 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
LOL, born in 1982....LOL....
It's all relative. I'm not "old" but I feel I've been alive for/experienced exponential advance in technology.

I was born in 1982. I strongly believe technology has advanced way more in the 35 years since I was born (from 1982-2017) than 35 years back the other way. In other words, technology has advanced far greater from 1982-2017 as opposed to 1957-1982, IMO. And god only knows how much more advanced it will get in the next 35 years.

By all means if anyone disagrees I'd love to hear your perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 02:24 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,885,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
It's all relative...I strongly believe technology has advanced way more in the 35 years since I was born (from 1982-2017) than 35 years back the other way...By all means if anyone disagrees I'd love to hear your perspective.
I disagree because, like you stated, "It's all relative." We put men on the moon in 1969!!!

Old 01-08-2018, 09:35 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,624 times
Question for everyone: What are you doing now, that you couldn't imagine doing 10 years ago?
I was born in 1980, and while I've seen a lot of scientific and technological development in my short lifetime, it seems like the 2010s just came and went with maybe one or two society-changing breakthroughs. In the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and previous decades since the 20th century, there seemed to be at least one lifestyle-altering discovery or development. I guess this decade will be looked at as the "calm" before what happens afterwards.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:22 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,972,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaamburger View Post
People of different ages had different views of what it would be like in 2020 but growing up in the nineties movies seemed to not match current times we are still not at total recall or blade runner yet.

I use to enjoy watching beyond 2000 it does seem like we met a lot if the milestones that show set.

I am not sure if we are living in the future yet as I thought it would be growing up flying cars maybe like back to the Future said the future would be.

Today I experienced a kind of future feeling I had a package sent to from Amazon to an Amazon locker I was picking it up scanned my smartphone and a locker popped open with my package I looked to my right and a women was getting a copy of a key at kiosk and then I saw someone at Redbox none if us had any human interaction and did not talk to each other I took my package and thought to my self.

I think we are in the future.
It seems like things are pretty futuristic in terms of computing and automation, but not as much in terms of transportation. Biotechnology is somewhere in the middle. I'm only 19 so I don't have as much of a past to compare it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
The 1980s were also futuristic and cool. Really, I'd peg the 1950s as a historic leap into a new era, with the advent of TVs and microwaves and so on. The future seems passe because we've been living in it for 60 years.
Why yes, we have been living in the future for two generations: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...s-already-here

Last edited by srfoskey; 01-08-2018 at 11:35 AM..

Old 01-10-2018, 07:25 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
It's all relative. I'm not "old" but I feel I've been alive for/experienced exponential advance in technology.

I was born in 1982. I strongly believe technology has advanced way more in the 35 years since I was born (from 1982-2017) than 35 years back the other way. In other words, technology has advanced far greater from 1982-2017 as opposed to 1957-1982, IMO. And god only knows how much more advanced it will get in the next 35 years.

By all means if anyone disagrees I'd love to hear your perspective.
You also have to consider that the general public is probably not permitted to see the entire picture, relating to what major advances in technology have been made. 1951 was the year the Invention Secrecy Act was enacted, they had a specific reason for creating and using this, and its still being used today.

Just imagine some of the things that have been suppressed on that list, things the public will never know about!

When you think about, its probably for the best, I seriously doubt some folks in the public would use some of this technology in a smart way, some would likely try to use it criminally, or to take advantage of others.

IN the end, there is just no way in hell, the general public will ever have access to technology that in anyway restricts or decreases govt/ authority control.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:59 PM

666 posts, read 513,396 times
Quote:
The reason why I laughed is that 1982 is not even close to being "old enough" to pull that card. It's just not. 1982 is literally a blip in time. Now, if you were born in 1932 or maybe even 1962, you'd be talking. But 1982, like I said, is just a blink of an eye.

Quote:
That's just plain wrong. The explosion in technology and progress that we experienced in the period you grew up in was parallel to the explosion in technology and progress that happened in the 1960s. In the 1960s, there were huge breakthroughs in space travel, telecommunications (satellites, networks, etc.), computers, medicine (CPR was perfected, the first artificial heart) and everyday objects that we now take for granted (touch tone phone, microwave ovens, calculators, ATMs, color TV, etc). So much stuff happened in the 1960s that that decade set a new benchmark in terms of modern progress.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:07 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times
What's with the obsession with "living in the future" in recent years? I never heard anything like that when growing up in the 90s and yet, society and technology was making progress then just as it is now.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Question for everyone: What are you doing now, that you couldn't imagine doing 10 years ago?

I was born in 1980, and while I've seen a lot of scientific and technological development in my short lifetime, it seems like the 2010s just came and went with maybe one or two society-changing breakthroughs. In the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and previous decades since the 20th century, there seemed to be at least one lifestyle-altering discovery or development. I guess this decade will be looked at as the "calm" before what happens afterwards.
You are 1000% correct. As I'm fond of saying, it's like the needle has become stuck. Nothing new or groundbreaking has happened at all this decade, not just in terms of technology but everything else, too (music, art, fashion, etc.). As a kid I remember how every decade there was something--new tech, new art, new music, new scene, new something. Today? Nothing.

There's so little creativity and innovation that practically nothing has come out of Kickstarter. What was the biggest obstacle to innovation? Money. Well, here's a service that is willing to give money to creators and nothing revolutionary has come out of it.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
What's with the obsession with "living in the future" in recent years? I never heard anything like that when growing up in the 90s and yet, society and technology was making progress then just as it is now.
You think this obsession is recent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-5aK0H05jk&t=69s

Old 01-14-2018, 06:49 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,855 times
Quote:
The reason why I laughed is that 1982 is not even close to being "old enough" to pull that card. It's just not. 1982 is literally a blip in time. Now, if you were born in 1932 or maybe even 1962, you'd be talking. But 1982, like I said, is just a blink of an eye.
Who died and made you king? You can't tell me I'm "wrong" about it just because you're older than me. I wasn't alive when you were but I have been alive for 35 years and can recall basically everything since about age 5. It's not like I'm 10 years old. Technology is ridiculous compared to when I was a child.

Quote:
That's just plain wrong. The explosion in technology and progress that we experienced in the period you grew up in was parallel to the explosion in technology and progress that happened in the 1960s. In the 1960s, there were huge breakthroughs in space travel, telecommunications (satellites, networks, etc.), computers, medicine (CPR was perfected, the first artificial heart) and everyday objects that we now take for granted (touch tone phone, microwave ovens, calculators, ATMs, color TV, etc). So much stuff happened in the 1960s that that decade set a new benchmark in terms of modern progress.
You bring up some good points but I don't necessarily agree. The internet alone, and how, literally, our whole way of life has been changed due to it is equal to all of those things, in my opinion. And medical technology? Medicine today? Not even close. Yes we sent a man on the moon in 1969, no small feat. But it counts for something that the iPhone that I and millions others have in their pockets are over a thousand times more powerful than the Apollo computers.

And like I said, if we were still spending money like back then on the space program we could be doing much more with the Moon, and Mars. But it's an incredible waste of resources and money, and tax dollars IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology