Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 12:07 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,799,409 times

Advertisements

In nearly all mentions of 5G networks, the technology is presented in hushed tones as the Savior of Our World; vast promises are made about how it will completely revolutionize everything and bring wonders heretofore yet unseen on Earth... insert here generic list of tech wonders.

OTOH... all 5G brings, according to all the technical reading I can find, is:
  1. Vastly higher speeds, into the 100s of mpbs.
  2. A goal of vastly reduced latency (single-digit ms ping).
  3. Far less integral security than the FCC and others want, because of immense pushback on the part of the providers.
I can see how this can be the platform for a number of improvements, with the flagship one most often mentioned being realtime communcation between intelligent/autonomous vehicles. Second is a lot of handwaving about how it will enable the Internet of Things so much better than current WiFi and 4G.

So tell me: how is 5G going to bring paradise on Earth, as all the marketing lead-ins and tech media would have it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 02:51 AM

3 posts, read 1,331 times
Marketing is natural for new versions of old things, it's important to convince in the advantage of new technology. Do you remember the advent of 3G, 4G? They didn't bring a revolution, but become an integral part of modern life. 5G story looks pretty the same as in case of predecessors for me.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,158,252 times
As far as the internet goes there is two parties to a http request and the server end is typically slower than the requesting end. Even if you were able to find a site providing blu ray quality video which would be substantially better than a service like Netflix is labeling "HD" stream you will only need 25Mbps. That's before you get into the point of why bother watching such high resolution video on such a small display.

What this technology brings to the table is being able to serve more data to more devices, the consumer may not see much advantages with a basic comparison. They will as the traffic over the network increases.

Last edited by thecoalman; 01-28-2019 at 01:43 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 02:27 PM

15,905 posts, read 6,610,796 times
I am hopeful that 5G will provide strong competition to cable delivery of media, potentially breaking some cable TV monopolies. My concern though is with the unknown health issues of having a 5G cell tower on every block. City dwellers are going to receive an involuntary dosage of this millimeter radiation on a potentially constant basis.

https://www.jrseco.com/european-unio...effects-of-5g/

It's not clear whether the risk is worth the potential benefits.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:31 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,649,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
In nearly all mentions of 5G networks, the technology is presented in hushed tones as the Savior of Our World; vast promises are made about how it will completely revolutionize everything and bring wonders heretofore yet unseen on Earth... insert here generic list of tech wonders.

OTOH... all 5G brings, according to all the technical reading I can find, is:
  1. Vastly higher speeds, into the 100s of mpbs.
  2. A goal of vastly reduced latency (single-digit ms ping).
  3. Far less integral security than the FCC and others want, because of immense pushback on the part of the providers.
I can see how this can be the platform for a number of improvements, with the flagship one most often mentioned being realtime communcation between intelligent/autonomous vehicles. Second is a lot of handwaving about how it will enable the Internet of Things so much better than current WiFi and 4G.

So tell me: how is 5G going to bring paradise on Earth, as all the marketing lead-ins and tech media would have it?
Remember the incredible hype around the introduction of the Segway? It will change the way we build cities!!! Yeah, right......It’s just marketing people doing their thing.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Remember the incredible hype around the introduction of the Segway? It will change the way we build cities!!! Yeah, right......It’s just marketing people doing their thing.
Well, I do think faster/better wireless networks will have more impact than Dean Kamen's latest attempt to be Nick Tesla, but I am still amused/bemused when articles breathlessly announce The Transformation Of Our World - without ever getting into specifics that might support such a contention. It's like a religious movement.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:49 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,165,423 times
The utility of 5G depends entirely on pricing. If the newly-massive quantity of wireless bandwidth they have to sell inspires providers to greatly lower the price of that bandwidth, that will open up new possibilities for its use. OTOH, if the pricing doesn't change drastically from current pricing, why should we expect the usage to change drastically?

Old 02-01-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The utility of 5G depends entirely on pricing. If the newly-massive quantity of wireless bandwidth they have to sell inspires providers to greatly lower the price of that bandwidth, that will open up new possibilities for its use. OTOH, if the pricing doesn't change drastically from current pricing, why should we expect the usage to change drastically?
It will be like every other generation: high-priced and metered for the first users, slowly becoming cheaper and less restricted as time goes by.

But I don't consider being able to stream 4K movies on your iPhone 13 to be revolutionary.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,165,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
It will be like every other generation: high-priced and metered for the first users, slowly becoming cheaper and less restricted as time goes by.

But I don't consider being able to stream 4K movies on your iPhone 13 to be revolutionary.
I think the 5G revolution is less about the ability to massively consume bandwidth for uses like that and more about consumers getting to use wireless Internet in discrete ways that it's too expensive for them to use it that way now.
  • Residential Internet service
  • Vehicle Internet service
  • Portable devices
  • Pet trackers
  • Vehicle trackers
  • Wearable devices, like watches and health monitors
All of these are possible now. But cheaper bandwidth makes them affordable for consumers.

In some of the pilot markets, 5G is already cheaper than 4G for residential Internet.

Last edited by Bo; 02-01-2019 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: Left out a word.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I think the 5G revolution is less about the ability to massively consume bandwidth for uses like that and more about consumers getting to use wireless Internet in discrete ways that it's too expensive for them to use that way now.
Right. But in the end, it's still just broadband service. That it gives an option to wired services and localized WiFi is good, but again not revolutionary. Functionally, it's exactly the same as 4G service that nearly anyone can get now, almost anywhere.

So it's faster and broader, which opens up alternatives for wireless (but not still-faster, still-wider wired) service, and it can bring down peer-to-peer latency. All of that is to the good (but I'm sure providers will still find ways to maximize revenue from it).

Go read any pop article on 5G, though. The gushing makes it sound like the second coming accompanied by manna and free Netflix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology