Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 02:55 PM

1,353 posts, read 789,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Death is quite tragic, quite an unfortunate consequence that comes with the fragile circumstance we call "life."

But that may change soon. With the help of multiple bright minds working on projects, it's only a matter of time before the key to immortality is unlocked, and the tragic permanence we call death is put to an end. By 2045, or even earlier, we as a civilization are expected to reach the point of technological singularity - where revolutionary advances in tech become exponential. This gives way to the creation of artificial intelligence, cybernetics, genetic augmentations, and much more developments that allow us to achieve immortality - or at least extend our lifespans.

All hail the Transhumanist Initiative!
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/p...ts-technology/
Now imagine billions over billions immortal people, crowding the Earth...
Sorry, it does not look, like a happy place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 06:19 PM

6,459 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
Reproduction rates probably slow down to the point that resources aren't an issue. Never mind the possibilities of space-faring for needed resources.
Doubtful that you're going to convince people to stop having kids, no. And sure, let's go off to space to ruin another place. Great idea.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:07 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
If you could live forever, even if you only had one child per trillion years, you'd end up producing an infinite number of children. People would have to reach a point of being incapable of reproduction. Even at that, by living forever, you'd eventually deplete all the resources in the entire universe and have to find other universes for more resources.
Those issues will get more and more precedence as time goes on. Mind-uploading and cybernetics are proposed as solutions for dealing with universal endpoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Only the rich will be given access if this pipe dream ever happens - which I doubt.
It always starts that way at first, but then it trickles down some way or another. The movie Elysium shows this in detailed depiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
Now imagine billions over billions immortal people, crowding the Earth...
Sorry, it does not look, like a happy place!
You're assuming that there won't be any change to reproduction rates, sustainability measures, as well as technologies for space colonization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Doubtful that you're going to convince people to stop having kids, no. And sure, let's go off to space to ruin another place. Great idea.
I'm not convincing anyone to do anything. The people make their own choices naturally, as we can with the birth rates in the industrialized West compared to poorer countries.

And the space colonization will be for the better. You think everyone in Star Wars was worried about their places being ruined? I don't think so.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:31 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:

Quote:
Only the rich will be given access if this pipe dream ever happens - which I doubt.
It always starts that way at first, but then it trickles down some way or another. The movie Elysium shows this in detailed depiction.
Uh, it's a movie. Not real life.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:35 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Those issues will get more and more precedence as time goes on. Mind-uploading and cybernetics are proposed as solutions for dealing with universal endpoints.
Don't pin your hopes on it though. It may not happen in our lifetimes, or it may not happen at all.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Don't pin your hopes on it though. It may not happen in our lifetimes, or it may not happen at all.
First, that totally depend on your age, barring any accidents and homicide - someone who currently is in their 70s doesn't have the same prospects as one in their 20s.

Next, keep in mind that these changes will be spearheaded by the technological singularity, a point where technology develops so exponentially fast, that traditional time-frames cease to matter - a greater technological leap within a matter of months than in previous thousands of years history. 2045 is a common expectation for this process, with quite a few predictions running towards the late 2020s.

Lastly, if you keep up with the latest ventures in Silicon Valley, as it regards biotechnology and aging research, you'll find that we already have the foundations laid out and established for this progress.

Quote:
Uh, it's a movie. Not real life.
I never said it was real life, smart one.

Last edited by kemahkami; 11-19-2019 at 01:20 PM..

Old 11-20-2019, 07:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
LOL! Smarter than someone who believes this fantasy.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:39 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
First, that totally depend on your age, barring any accidents and homicide - someone who currently is in their 70s doesn't have the same prospects as one in their 20s.

Next, keep in mind that these changes will be spearheaded by the technological singularity, a point where technology develops so exponentially fast, that traditional time-frames cease to matter - a greater technological leap within a matter of months than in previous thousands of years history. 2045 is a common expectation for this process, with quite a few predictions running towards the late 2020s.

Lastly, if you keep up with the latest ventures in Silicon Valley, as it regards biotechnology and aging research, you'll find that we already have the foundations laid out and established for this progress.
Sure, there are those working on extending lifespans, and there's nothing wrong with that. I can see longevity reaching 100, even 120, considering that some people have already attained such a long life. But there are no guarantees that even people in their 20s are going to see much more than that. Assuming it is possible to reach 150 or more, the only people who will be given that opportunity are those who can afford the astronomical prices it would cost. Meanwhile, the rest of the human population will be pretty much left behind to dig their own graves as usual. How much equality and fairness is that?

Touting the "Technological Singularity" is little more than raising hopes for people to buy their books, high-priced glorified vitamins and lectures. The dates for the "Technological Singularity" keeps getting pushed ahead farther into the future and just far enough out of reach. That routine has been done many times before, and it still clings like a sore hangnail even now. Based on the current approach, I'd say it's little more than sheer money making speculation. Anyone can speculate about anything. There needs to be proven evidence, but apart from techno-babble, evidence is sorely lacking. It has not been shown to be a scientific fact. It is a hypothetical point in the future. Some suggest that Kurzweil's promotion amounts to intellectual fraud.

There's also the chatter about reversing the effects of aging, making old people look youthful again. Wasn't that what Juan Ponce de Leon was hoping for by searching for the Fountain of Youth? Okay, that's just a legend. But it's the same idea. That said, I'd put more credence in that, than the prospects of living forever because of a technological singularity. There are some high profile celebrities that are in their 50s, 60s and older who look remarkable for their age. Certainly much of that has to do with implants, face lifts, tummy tucks, plenty of makeup, hair coloring, diet and exercise. But they still look amazingly younger, while others haven't fared out as well at all.

Okay, you mention barring accidents and homicide (you should also include diseases and natural disasters) that people in their 70s don't have the same prospects as those in their 20s. That's a pretty big statement to make. How do you know??? There could just as easily be some kind of miracle breakthrough next year. All I'm hearing from you is the same old routine that's been used by others. It's nothing new. Kurzweil himself is already 71. In some of the recent images I've seen of him, he's not looking any younger and he still needs glasses to correct his vision. If the date has been pushed ahead to 2040 or so, he'd be in his 90s. From what you've mentioned, he might as well resign himself to not having the same prospects as someone in their 20s. For all anyone knows, he could just as easily bite the dust anytime well before then. In fact, he's already made plans for what is to be done with his remains should he die. That sounds like a sensible plan.

So what miraculous things is he doing for his health to extend his longevity and youthfulness? This is the man who had been taking 250 pills a day but has dropped down to a skimpy 100 pills a day. What are you doing to extend your longevity?
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...onary-ray.html
Google Futurist Ray Kurzweil Hacks His Body With These » LongevityFacts

I appreciate your recommendation to keep up with the latest ventures in Silicon Valley. Thank you. I can assure you that I'm not totally ignorant about it. I can also assure you that the world's future doesn't exclusively center itself around Silicon Valley. There are many other places around the world trying to make new discoveries and new things. For example, one is in the area of health and medicine. We know that it appears that telomeres are an indicator of lifespace. The longer the telomeres, the longer the life. The shorter the telomeres, the shorter the life. But that's mostly a yardstick. If the shortening of telomeres can be slowed, then there's a good chance of a longer life because parts won't wear out as quickly. We also know that stem cells can make repairs to a number of tissues to regenerate what in the past had no hope. There are even efforts to artificially regrow some tissues, such a skin, heart muscles, etc. But funding is tight, making research painfully slow. Current national debt is $22 Trillion. The highest it has ever been. No one (except maybe a few) is waiting around for some vague technological singularity to come along in 20 years to solve all our problems. People are moving ahead even if it's at a slower pace than desired.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Sure, there are those working on extending lifespans, and there's nothing wrong with that. I can see longevity reaching 100, even 120, considering that some people have already attained such a long life. But there are no guarantees that even people in their 20s are going to see much more than that. Assuming it is possible to reach 150 or more, the only people who will be given that opportunity are those who can afford the astronomical prices it would cost. Meanwhile, the rest of the human population will be pretty much left behind to dig their own graves as usual. How much equality and fairness is that?
Quote:
There's also the chatter about reversing the effects of aging, making old people look youthful again. Wasn't that what Juan Ponce de Leon was hoping for by searching for the Fountain of Youth? Okay, that's just a legend. But it's the same idea. That said, I'd put more credence in that, than the prospects of living forever because of a technological singularity. There are some high profile celebrities that are in their 50s, 60s and older who look remarkable for their age. Certainly much of that has to do with implants, face lifts, tummy tucks, plenty of makeup, hair coloring, diet and exercise. But they still look amazingly younger, while others haven't fared out as well at all.
It's all good even with a strictly biological approach. Every good chunk of extended life span is all that is needed to buy the time for even more advancements as it comes to immortality. And obviously, all worries cease to be if we go the digital route.

Quote:
Touting the "Technological Singularity" is little more than raising hopes for people to buy their books, high-priced glorified vitamins and lectures. The dates for the "Technological Singularity" keeps getting pushed ahead farther into the future and just far enough out of reach. That routine has been done many times before, and it still clings like a sore hangnail even now. Based on the current approach, I'd say it's little more than sheer money making speculation. Anyone can speculate about anything. There needs to be proven evidence, but apart from techno-babble, evidence is sorely lacking. It has not been shown to be a scientific fact. It is a hypothetical point in the future. Some suggest that Kurzweil's promotion amounts to intellectual fraud.
Maybe so. 2045 was always the main year I've seen predicted as it regards the occurrence of this process, but as I've mentioned, there are indeed many predictions running early. Kurzweil has predicted as early as the late 2020s. Whether it comes to pass or not, we'll just have to see.

Quote:
Okay, you mention barring accidents and homicide (you should also include diseases and natural disasters) that people in their 70s don't have the same prospects as those in their 20s. That's a pretty big statement to make. How do you know??? There could just as easily be some kind of miracle breakthrough next year. All I'm hearing from you is the same old routine that's been used by others. It's nothing new. Kurzweil himself is already 71. In some of the recent images I've seen of him, he's not looking any younger and he still needs glasses to correct his vision. If the date has been pushed ahead to 2040 or so, he'd be in his 90s. From what you've mentioned, he might as well resign himself to not having the same prospects as someone in their 20s. For all anyone knows, he could just as easily bite the dust anytime well before then. In fact, he's already made plans for what is to be done with his remains should he die. That sounds like a sensible plan.
Quote:
So what miraculous things is he doing for his health to extend his longevity and youthfulness? This is the man who had been taking 250 pills a day but has dropped down to a skimpy 100 pills a day. What are you doing to extend your longevity?
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...onary-ray.html
Google Futurist Ray Kurzweil Hacks His Body With These » LongevityFacts
He's doing his best, and honors the greatest aspects of pure altruisim. He passes happily knowing that future generations can one day benefit from these ultimate scientific breakthroughs, even if he himself doesn't live to see it.

Quote:
I appreciate your recommendation to keep up with the latest ventures in Silicon Valley. Thank you. I can assure you that I'm not totally ignorant about it. I can also assure you that the world's future doesn't exclusively center itself around Silicon Valley. There are many other places around the world trying to make new discoveries and new things. For example, one is in the area of health and medicine. We know that it appears that telomeres are an indicator of lifespace. The longer the telomeres, the longer the life. The shorter the telomeres, the shorter the life. But that's mostly a yardstick. If the shortening of telomeres can be slowed, then there's a good chance of a longer life because parts won't wear out as quickly. We also know that stem cells can make repairs to a number of tissues to regenerate what in the past had no hope. There are even efforts to artificially regrow some tissues, such a skin, heart muscles, etc. But funding is tight, making research painfully slow. Current national debt is $22 Trillion. The highest it has ever been. No one (except maybe a few) is waiting around for some vague technological singularity to come along in 20 years to solve all our problems. People are moving ahead even if it's at a slower pace than desired.
Of course, that's exactly what I meant. People are working on these innovations every day, and any breakthroughs can seriously accelerate the timeline through which the "singularity" can occur. Of course Silicon Valley isn't the only place working on these developments, although they do seem to get the press as it regards concerted technological efforts.

As far as financing, private enterprise tends to circumnavigate any issues with government stipulations. Aging research in Silicon Valley went from non-existent back in 2011 to concerted VC-initiatives today, due to the work of people like Peter Thiel and Laura Deming. Another project in Russia entails the 2045 Initiative, a non-profit founded by Russian Billionaire Dmitry Itskov.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
LOL! Smarter than someone who believes this fantasy.
... and no where near as smart as those looking to make that fantasy our reality.

2045 Initiative
https://www.fightaging.org/archives/...rtant-problem/
https://now.northropgrumman.com/ray-...sist-turns-70/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology