Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2021, 06:35 PM

61 posts, read 66,536 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I have a Honeywell wifi touchscreen programmable thermostat RTH8580WF.
This is what I want the thermostat to automatically do for cooling:
- manually turned on and set to auto stop when the temp reaches 72 degrees (this task is easy for any thermostat).
- auto on when the temp reaches 75 or 76 degrees (because the cool air is still present in the house right after the A/C is off when the temp reaches 72 degrees. The reason for 75 or 76 is because the A/C currently auto starts again when the temp is about 73 or 74 and it's less than 15 minutes. I'm not comfortable with A/C short cycles).
I don't see how my Honeywell thermostat can do what was described above. If you know a model on the market that can do what I plan to do, please let me know
Thank you.

Last edited by newbienoob9; 09-06-2021 at 06:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 07:48 PM

5,988 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbienoob9 View Post
Hello All,
- manually turned on and set to auto stop when the temp reaches 72 degrees (this task is easy for any thermostat).
- auto on when the temp reaches 75 or 76 degrees (because the cool air is still present in the house right after the A/C is off when the temp reaches 72 degrees. The reason for 75 or 76 is because the A/C currently auto starts again when the temp is about 73 or 74 and it's less than 15 minutes. I'm not comfortable with A/C short cycles).
I don't see how my Honeywell thermostat can do what was described above. If you know a model on the market that can do what I plan to do, please let me know
Thank you.
Most home thermostats are set to maintain the "demand" temperature to within 1*. This means that if you set it on 72*, it will kick off when it gets down to 72* and then kick back on when the temperature rises to 73*. This is what most people want for comfort.

There are ways of adjusting these settings, but they're not in your typical thermostat Owner's Manual. Contact a reliable HVAC company and ask them, or contact the manufacturer of your thermostat and ask them.

Old 09-07-2021, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Most home thermostats are set to maintain the "demand" temperature to within 1*. This means that if you set it on 72*, it will kick off when it gets down to 72* and then kick back on when the temperature rises to 73*. This is what most people want for comfort.

There are ways of adjusting these settings, but they're not in your typical thermostat Owner's Manual. Contact a reliable HVAC company and ask them, or contact the manufacturer of your thermostat and ask them.
Thanks. I'll try to contact the manufacturer.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:02 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbienoob9 View Post
Hello All,
Thank you.
I would expect that it is not very cost effective to do that. What is the issue with short cycles?

If the home is still cool where you are in the home while the thermostat is wanting to cool it, you might want to look into a thermostat that uses multiple temperature sensors throughout the space to determine the proper temperature. That or maybe the thermostat is not in a good location.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
I would expect that it is not very cost effective to do that. What is the issue with short cycles?

If the home is still cool where you are in the home while the thermostat is wanting to cool it, you might want to look into a thermostat that uses multiple temperature sensors throughout the space to determine the proper temperature. That or maybe the thermostat is not in a good location.
Thanks for your comment. Can you advise me where the thermostat would go?
The floor plan layout is attached. The thermostat is in the livingroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Please help with thermostat settings-untitled.jpg  

Old 11-12-2021, 11:48 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
What you want to adjust is the "deadband". In an electronic tstat it may or may not be adjustable. In a mechanical thermostat it's usually adjustable but not easy to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology