Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 07:40 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I saw the Andromeda Strain in 7th grade years ago. The teacher who held the viewing claimed that the movie was based on an actual NASA mission to have satellites collide with meteors to analyze the dust for microscopic 'space' organisms.

I'd say 2001 and for sure. Although there were aspects of the film that were designed to look ultra-modern (hey, it was the 60s), most of the design seems plausible in real life. There are no fancy holograms, teleporters, 'futuristic' weapons, etc. And HAL was rather simple, too. I bet that if a computer where ever to take control of a spacecraft, it would do with a pleasant tone. Not to mention the whole concept of being spiritual without being religious.

Moon. It seems plausible that if there were ever to be a mining operation on the Moon, it would be a lonely affair. It would make sense to use clones.

Jurassic Park. Not really science fiction, but this movie just plays into the mad scientist in me. A real 'Jurassic Park' is not that far off, and the possibility of growing pre-historic animals from preserved DNA is a lot closer to happening than any manned space mission further than the moon.

Avatar. I can't live in this 'world' and I am sooo depressed that I do not live on Pandora that I just can't take it anymore! Where is my support group?! Just kidding. Avatar, what a total P.O.S.!
ANDROMEDA RETAINS my top vote(We must be near the same age)....Jurassic Park I didn't care for, but I agree that the cloning aspect is NOT far off, since we have discovered viable DNA from dinosaurs, especially Wolly Mammoths.
Let me add the film ENEMY MINE...truly fascinating with basically one sex and it's a surprise who and when you may give birth....a real hoot but viable as a species. Made you think of our narrow definitions of just 2 sexes, when in fact I think there are over 30 sexual variations currently recognized within our own species. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersexuality

YouTube - Trailer - Enemy Mine (1985)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I enjoyed Robin Williams in Bicentennial Man. I could see that as a future.

YouTube - Bicentennial Man
That movie kinda freaks me out and I can't explain why that's so???

Old 03-31-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
StarGate offers an explanation for Earth and it's History that is as good as any I've heard
With the Egyptian/Pyramid connection it gets you to think since; the pyramids seem to be astronomically aligned to within inches of Polaris and other stars, if my memory is correct, so a space connection is theoritically possible.

Another thought provoking movie for me was: THIS ISLAND EARTH, for it's time a great flick. Really got you thinking about war, it's impact on a planet and energy/resource depletion. The entire civilization moving underground was also fascinating; though they did it for reasons of war, there are various scenarios where this may prove necessary. Such as climate change, protection from space debris, radiation concerns up to and including a change in our sun's energy output/spectrum, our sun expanding as it's fuel reserves run low and on and on....endless possibilities.

YouTube - "This Island Earth" Trailer
GOTTA LOVE THE OPENING MUSIC; THEY knew how to start a trailer in those days...LOL. .

Old 03-31-2010, 05:12 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
The movie that comes to mind as the most scientifically feasible while remaining thought-provoking and interesting is Contact.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
The movie that comes to mind as the most scientifically feasible while remaining thought-provoking and interesting is Contact.
That was a good one that certainly fits the thread; however I wish the ending had been a bit more "complete".

Another favorite for me was THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL(ORIGINAL); thought provoking since we as a species assume we are all powerful and omnipotent.

When in fact there are hundreds of ways our planet could be destroyed in an instant, by many natural and space phenomena. Least of which would be a civilization advanced enough to actually look down upon us a threat to peace or resource mongorer. Or simply too obnoxious a species to allow into the "galactic club"...LOL.

YouTube - The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) - Trailer (en)

Old 04-01-2010, 10:33 AM

Another candidate for me is FORBIDDEN PLANET. Great concept of a civilization entirely powered by Fusion Reactors that were scores of square miles each and supplying virtually unlimited energy for the entire population.

Also with this "unlimited" power the inhabitants were capable of changing matter to energy and vice versa; quite an accomplishment in of itself. However they had taken it a step further by devising a way to instantaneously change thought patterns into energy/matter in the external physical world.

However the Krell forgot about their subconscious thought processes, even though they had supressed them from their early evolutionary history. Giving rise to the ID and other subliminal thoughts that were/are not always constructive in nature. Thereby destroying their own civilization by empowering the negative/primordial thought patterns even an advanced civilization still would possess!

Forbidden Planet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - "Forbidden Planet" Trailer
AS another poster mentioned...I find it hysterically funny that the most thought provoking Science Fiction Movies are ALL from many decades past; tells me something about the sorry state of education, especially SCIENCE education/information in our current society. No wonder we are so far behind the rest of the world in MATH/SCIENCE and educational attainment in general!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:07 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Avatar because I love the way they did the forrest. I could not have even dreamed or something like that. I want to live there now with hot navi girls. Also love chronicles of riddick for some reason. I love the movie sunshine as well.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Avatar because I love the way they did the forrest. I could not have even dreamed or something like that. I want to live there now with hot navi girls. Also love chronicles of riddick for some reason. I love the movie sunshine as well.
I can understand your mention of the forest; though I have not yet seen the film. However, I am befuddled by how "hot chicks" has any Scientific relevance, unless your studying that species sexuality..

Chronicles of Riddick I also have not seen...so I'll add a link and videos for other posters, as I study it's scientific significance.
The Chronicles of Riddick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Chronicles of Riddick - Riddick Wiki - The Chronicles of Riddick

YouTube - The Chronicles Of Riddick Trailer

Old 04-01-2010, 11:20 PM

Though NOT a movie...I think BABYLON 5(TV SHOW) comes closest of all to giving scientific thought a central stage. From the First civilizations, billions of years old and the hundreds that followed...to jump points to warp space and traverse the galaxy. It makes you think of the hiearchy of civilizations in our MultiVerse, their interactions and eventual influence on all life within the MultiVerse.

As well as the meaning of "GOD(S)" and it's relative significance amongst all sentient lifeforms. The past, present and future of sentient species was always a central tenent of the show and had viewers thinking on many simultaneous levels of existence.

Perhaps if this TV show, which was a 5 year saga of intertwining events; were required as a curricula in our schools, our students would at least be able to formulate hypothesis on their own and not swallow our society's dogma...hook, line and sinker!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_5

Old 04-04-2010, 06:06 AM

Had to add the videos for these classics>>>

YouTube - Metropolis (restoration trailer)

YouTube - Things To Come Trailer (1936)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(film)

Things to Come - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology