Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:36 PM

343 posts, read 1,085,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
I think, you're right. It's always nice to hear something positive.

I think, if all Seattle residents were as helpful and positive as you guys here, on Seattle forum, Seattle would be the best place on Earth to live.
And if all Seattle residents were like the posters on the Seattle Times' comment boards, Seattle would be hell on Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 07:04 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicsFan93 View Post
And if all Seattle residents were like the posters on the Seattle Times' comment boards, Seattle would be hell on Earth.
Seattle Times posters?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Seattle Times posters?
Commenters. Really, read some of the comments on their stories. Lots of venom.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:51 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
What do I like about Seattle?
The fact that we have a major league baseball team. I know, they don't play like a major league team a fair amount of the time, but there's only what? 30? major league teams. Safeco Field also happens to be one of the nicest ballparks in the country, and even most of the cheap seats are pretty good. If you're in the right spot, on a nice day you can just glory in the sunshine, eat a hot dog, drink a beer, and not have a care in the world.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
What do I like about Seattle?
The fact that we have a major league baseball team. I know, they don't play like a major league team a fair amount of the time, but there's only what? 30? major league teams. Safeco Field also happens to be one of the nicest ballparks in the country, and even most of the cheap seats are pretty good. If you're in the right spot, on a nice day you can just glory in the sunshine, eat a hot dog, drink a beer, and not have a care in the world.
We really did build Safeco Field right. Worth every penny if you ask me:

Mariners | Safeco Field still a gem after first decade | Seattle Times Newspaper

Quote:
"We look at what Wrigley Field is in Chicago, what Fenway means in Boston. We can see this being a 100-year facility," said Bart Waldman, the Mariners' executive vice president of legal and governmental affairs. "That's how we treat it. We hope to get to that iconic status."

Old 06-23-2010, 06:27 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Cool summertime weather, not much snow, easy access to nature, awesome public transit, great cycling, nature trails in the city, huge waterfront parks in the city, great seafood and chinese food (around here they just drown fried rice in soy sauce, yuck), great music scene, the greenness of it all, Safeco field (though I'm not an M's fan), Huskies football, the tranist tunnel (I'm a transit geek but I think it's really neat), the public library, the access to city services, the absence of ever-present violence.

As I sweat out my third summer back east I plot my return.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM

24 posts, read 44,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicsFan93 View Post
Yeah, no kidding, there are some angry crazies on that board. It seems like most people who post there are extreme in terms of ideology. There's less discussion than there is spouting nonsense.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:22 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
I'll keep my post positive...
I like getting out of Seattle as soon as possible when I end up down there.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:35 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Despite what some posters here may think, there are a lot of things I do like about Seattle.

- Best aquarium I've ever been to.
- One of the best zoos out there - beats the SF zoo, imho.
- Exceptionally good Ethiopian dining options relative to the size of the city and the size of the Ethiopian community.
- Despite the fact that many people list Seattle's traffic as a "con," I think it's a pro: the traffic is worse than, say, Everett or Bellingham... but it's a big city! Relative to pretty much any other major coastal US city, the traffic really is not all that bad, especially considering that they don't have an underground that links the suburbs and downtown area. From North Seattle to Downtown never took me any longer than a half an hour, and usually was only 10-20 minutes... in traffic!
- The bus system is actually quite good.
- Excellent, top-notch parks. Golden Gardens, Alki Beach, the Arboretum, the Japanese garden... all very beautiful and picturesque. Quite enchanting.
- Comparatively mellow, fair police force. Generally.
- The Pike Place Market is the coolest farmer's market I've ever been to, and it's so much more... I got a bunch of high-quality handmade candles, a fez, a decent falafel, and a mandala to put on my wall and stare at all in one stop! Can't beat the view or scenery, and the breadth of it definitely beats the once-a-week, much-smaller farmer's market at San Francisco's ferry building.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 10 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Some things out of many things I love about Seattle:

1. Areas of downtown Seattle, Belltown, Capital Hill, University District, International District, Queene Anne, West Seattle, Ballard, and Fremont
2. The skyline from Kerry park Queene Anne, The skyline from Alki Beach in West Seattle, the skyline on the puget sound between Bainbridge Island and Downtown Seattle, the skyline from Westlake/Denny.
3. Many great food options in the form of great restaurants and food supermarkets( I can name at least 25 great places)
4. Many great independent coffee and tea places.(I can also name at least 25 great places for this)
5. The mountain/nature views that can be seen here within the city
6. Close access to a lot of amazing, diverse, inspiring nature scenery in the Pacific Northwest and how much the nature options offer. Some examples: Mount Rainier national park, North Cascades National park, Olympic National park, Mount baker area, San Juan islands, Hoh rain forest, Hurricane ridge, Glacier peak, Mount Saint Helens, as well as other amazing nature spots. The outdoor activities in nature.
6. A lot of the cultural events/festivals/places here: Some examples for the past month: The 15 day+ Seattle international film festival, Seattle artopia, An environmental festival, a jazz festival, other.
7. Great arts and music scene(Some music bands that are from here/based here/and/or connected to this place: Modest Mouse, Assemblage 23, The Postal Service, Blue Scholars, other.
8. Lots of things to do but not overwhelming
9. The relatively laid back but exciting at the same time vibe.
10. The scale/size of the city while being able to offer so much
11. Boeing(Revolutionized airplanes/the airplane industry. One of the two main airplane manufacturers in the world(the other is Airbus). Boeing contributed to creating a lot of airplanes that people rely on for air travel), Microsoft (revolutionized computers/computer industry Microsoft made computer software that made computers more easily accessible and affordable to people), and Starbucks(revolutionized coffee consumption and coffee culture) is from here, as well as lots of other great economic activity here. I think it also contributed some to the environmental movement.
12. One of the “most educated” and “literate” cities in America.
12. Close access to Vancouver, Canada. Another great city.
13. Close access to a lot of other great places in general but having so much that can be done within Seattle
14. How clean the city is for a major city and how clean it feels.

Some things I don’t like out of some things I dont like(I can name more)

1. Seattle is a relatively safe city but its not as safe as some people think.

2. I wish Seattle extended more old architecture that can be found in areas of downtown alongside extending modern architecture. Seattle overall does have a nice mix of old and modern architecture in areas of downtown and Im a fan of both old and modern type of architecture.

I like/don’t like at the same time (I also name more for this)

1. The public transportation. I like the bus coverage here and how clean, and not loud the buses are, but I wish there was more rapid transit here. I wish they extended the monorail in Seattle to different neighborhoods. I would like Seattle to have a Montreal/London/Paris/Moscow type subway system, but that is asking too much. The bus system is kind of discouraging me lately and I definitely am going to try to get my drivers license and a car as soon as I can. Someone could technically live here easily car free and without a drivers license but it isn’t nearly as enjoyable, than if someone had a drivers license and a car.

Last edited by ; 06-29-2010 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area