Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:39 PM

115 posts, read 327,028 times

Advertisements

I have been seeing some affordable listings in the Alki Beach area and was curious how it is as a neighborhood? Is California Ave. their main strip? Is Alki beach to Seattle similar to how brooklyn is to NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 05:50 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
The main drag for the Alki beach are would be Alki Avenue and Harbor Avenue. Alki is very nice, very fun, and lively. West Seattle in general might be roughly similar to Brooklyn. Like Brooklyn, West Seattle is big and has a lot of different neighborhoods, and Alki is one of them. I don't think there's a NYC equivalent to Alki Beach, but very slightly Coney Island?..Alki is a lot cleaner and newer than Coney Island, but it's Seattle's closest equivalent to a NY/NJ boardwalk. Instead of Nathan's, Alki has some fish n' chip spots that have been there for a long time.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:07 PM

295 posts, read 659,344 times
I live in NYC and was in Seattle two weeks ago, and visited Alki Beach. I thought the area was beautiful, and Ira is right that it is much cleaner. It is also much less commercial and less tacky compared to Coney Island. However, to a New Yorker, it will feel almost suburban. I got there by taking the water taxi (fun!) and a bus from there. The bus to Alki Beach doesn't run that often, and compared to NYC all of West Seattle is more auto-oriented. I only got to the Admiral area and I must admit I was expecting more commercial activity, but I think there is more further south in the Alaska Junction area. The neighborhoods near downtown, like lower Queen Anne and Capitol Hill are much more dense and urban. I liked all the areas I visited, though, and I am hoping to move there.

Last edited by expdxer; 07-29-2010 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-29-2010, 08:16 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,844,534 times
Is it true that the view of the Seattle skyline from Alki is reminiscent of what Manhattan looks like from Hoboken? I've read this somewhere before, but I've never been to Hoboken (just NYC itself).

Old 07-30-2010, 08:25 AM

295 posts, read 659,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Is it true that the view of the Seattle skyline from Alki is reminiscent of what Manhattan looks like from Hoboken? I've read this somewhere before, but I've never been to Hoboken (just NYC itself).
Yes, that is true. You get an excellent view of Manhattan from there and neighboring NJ towns by the Hudson. Plenty of NJ commuters enjoy it as well sitting in traffic, lol.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
I love Alki Beach. A mix of nice modern medium density buildings and rustic low density homes with nice views of city skyline on side, and nice views of mountain scenery(when weather permits) on the other side. Alki Beach also has two coffee/tea places that are some of my favorite ones in Seattle. Alki Beach also has a nice kayak rental spot.

I just wish Alki Beach was much bigger but it is still awesome.
I love West Seattle but it does feel suburban in some ways, and I wish it had more density.

It still has nice "urban" things about it, and has some awesome restaurants and independent coffee/tea places.

In an abstract way, West Seattle to Seattle is similar to what Brooklyn is to New York. But in a lot of ways it doesnt compare.

I agree with others that Alki Beach is better than NYC's Coney Island beach. New York state actually has some nice beaches but I dont feel like Coney Island is one of them.

There is more commercial activity more south of the Admiral District, in the Alaska junction area.

To expdxer: I am from New York City and live in Seattle right now. I have lived in Seattle for 5 months. I love both cities.

I know plenty of New Yorkers that like things about Seattle.

So what are your reasons for moving?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:53 PM

34 posts, read 108,633 times
I've never heard anyone wish that an area was more dense...I don't get that? Maybe that's why I prefer the suburbs...living in a high density area whether it's dense because of people or concrete is bad for the soul! : )

Old 04-25-2011, 08:30 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdawg321 View Post
I've never heard anyone wish that an area was more dense...I don't get that? Maybe that's why I prefer the suburbs...living in a high density area whether it's dense because of people or concrete is bad for the soul! : )
Some density is not bad at all and may even heal and warm up your soul during those dark wet short winter days.

Now, living in the middle of Manhattan year after year without much time to get out for a while is a totally different story. Although many NYers feel like the park is all they need to get out.

I personally like Vancouver, BC for the NaturalUrbanBalance.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:42 PM

412 posts, read 1,153,267 times
I lovvveeee Alki Beach! I used to walk on the shoreline for miles. It's so beautiful to look on a nice day. You can see bunch of ferries and boats passing by and all. The apartments/condos lining up along the beach but behind the road. They look pretty cool on some of them. One of them looks futuristic looking.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 PM

34 posts, read 108,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Some density is not bad at all and may even heal and warm up your soul during those dark wet short winter days.

Now, living in the middle of Manhattan year after year without much time to get out for a while is a totally different story. Although many NYers feel like the park is all they need to get out.

I personally like Vancouver, BC for the NaturalUrbanBalance.
I like that..that makes sense. I guess I do know a bit about that since I'm moving from a small beach town in Oregon back to Seattle....so I guess I do want more density! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area