Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm Black. My family and me lived in Everett for a few years. We did good living there. My doesn't recall many issues. As far as he's told me, he regrets leaving the Seattle area. What freaked my father out was the price of real estate.
The sticker shock of Seattle real estate is universal across all races, ethnicities and cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
The sticker shock of Seattle real estate is universal across all races, ethnicities and cultures.
I know that. I never said it did. I was just talking about why my father didn't stay very long. He had a job offer in another city, and he wanted to live in the Seattle city limits. The sticker price is what scared him off.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know that. I never said it did. I was just talking about why my father didn't stay very long. He had a job offer in another city, and he wanted to live in the Seattle city limits. The sticker price is what scared him off.
I was just making an observation.... and a joke...

Old 01-13-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I was just making an observation.... and a joke...
I'm a bit humor-challenged. I have a hard time telling if something is a joke or not(mainly because I don't make many jokes), particularly if it's typed.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 AM

7 posts, read 15,818 times
Seattle is ok. Many of my original observations still remain but it's truly about perspective. I find that your background makes all the difference. I've made and "unmade" new friends and I've had some really eye-opening experiences.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:50 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga View Post
I agree with the other Black posters here. As a Black woman myself who moved here from L.A., I can honestly say that this place has been the biggest mistake of my life. I've lived in 7 states, big cities (NYC, Boston, Miami) and small. There's nothing sinister or awful that makes Seattle not a good fit, but I truly think that a big part of it is the lack of community. Now, I'm not saying that the other places I've livd were bastions of Black togetherness, but there was at least the sense that being Black was not an alien concept.

At some point in the other places I've lived, either I'll start it myself or another Black woman will start a conversation. Usually mundane, in line for something probably, maybe start with something about my hair or how they wish they could wear theirs short, too, or something like that. Nothing serious, but just a nice conversation. That does not happen here. EVER. There is no common point of recognition. It is sometimes a little heartbreaking to not see people who look like you.

People here are well meaning and will tell you that we're all one and everyone will accept you, and to some extent that's true. But I have tried to express this before and I just won't sugarcoat it anymore. It's different for minorities and it's REALLY different here. It's not about segregation, it's about familiarity, a sense of belonging just because you aren't automatically seen as an outsider. Sure, your philosophy can make you an outsider regardless of race anywhere you go but here, you will be an uncomfortable novelty, especially if you're educated. There is a connective thread that should exist, but doesn't.

Hope this makes sense and feel free to DM if you have any specific questions because I'd like to help if I can. I'm finally getting away from this place and if I can help someone not go through what I went through, maybe it won't have been in vain =)

Weird, LA, itself, has just about the same black % as Tacoma/Lakewood has.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Weird, LA, itself, has just about the same black % as Tacoma/Lakewood has.
Los Angeles is 9.2% Black. Tacoma and Lakewood have a higher percentage of Blacks. Tacoma is 10.7% Black and Lakewood is 11.1% Black. Kent,WA is 10.9% Black. Renton is 10.4% Black.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,198 times
I definately see lalagonegaga's point. I don't know what it is about Seattle and its people; I can't put my finger on it but its a strange place to live. It seems like the only way to meet people is if you join a group with similar interest at meetup.com; you are not necessarily going to make friends but at least you will meet people. I read comments where people say "if you want to make friends, put yourself out there and try harder". The harder you try, the farther away you push people because they start treating you like an invader who wants something from them and they just avoid you. If you are all nice and try talking to everyone you come across, people look at you like you are weird. Even some blacks here in Seattle, don't want to befriend their fellow blacks; They will walk the other side of the street if they see you coming. People will rarely make eye contact and speak. It breaks my heart as a new mom with a toddler when I go to the park, I will see a group of Asian moms sitting and socializing while their kids play together. And, there are two black moms on the playground who never say a word to each other. It seems seattle has every other communities but black communities or development. Don't get me wrong, I'm not racist and I'm not saying that everyone in Seattle is unfriendly. These are things I have obseverd since my 13 years of living here

Old 01-17-2013, 05:14 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
Seattle was such a cool, easy going city to live in imo. Being AA made no difference. I had a great social life, great neighbors and thoroughly enjoyed my 12 years there. Just walking down the street people always spoke or strangers struck up conversations at the coffee shop. Coming from DC Seattle seems totally opposite, in a good way. I remember growing up in DC our neighbors were not very friendly....EVER. I remember when I told my mother my job is transfering me to Seattle she put her house up for sale and move to Seattle too. She loved it. I did not, I repeat, I did not have to join any group or club to have a great social life in Seattle imo. I know quite a few AA who moved to Seattle from around the country and none of them joined any special club or group to meet people.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga View Post
I agree with the other Black posters here. As a Black woman myself who moved here from L.A., I can honestly say that this place has been the biggest mistake of my life. I've lived in 7 states, big cities (NYC, Boston, Miami) and small. There's nothing sinister or awful that makes Seattle not a good fit, but I truly think that a big part of it is the lack of community. Now, I'm not saying that the other places I've livd were bastions of Black togetherness, but there was at least the sense that being Black was not an alien concept.

At some point in the other places I've lived, either I'll start it myself or another Black woman will start a conversation. Usually mundane, in line for something probably, maybe start with something about my hair or how they wish they could wear theirs short, too, or something like that. Nothing serious, but just a nice conversation. That does not happen here. EVER. There is no common point of recognition. It is sometimes a little heartbreaking to not see people who look like you.

People here are well meaning and will tell you that we're all one and everyone will accept you, and to some extent that's true. But I have tried to express this before and I just won't sugarcoat it anymore. It's different for minorities and it's REALLY different here. It's not about segregation, it's about familiarity, a sense of belonging just because you aren't automatically seen as an outsider. Sure, your philosophy can make you an outsider regardless of race anywhere you go but here, you will be an uncomfortable novelty, especially if you're educated. There is a connective thread that should exist, but doesn't.

Hope this makes sense and feel free to DM if you have any specific questions because I'd like to help if I can. I'm finally getting away from this place and if I can help someone not go through what I went through, maybe it won't have been in vain =)
Hey how are you....your post opened my eyes about Seattle. My hubby and I were thinking of a move there but I can't move to a place that I don't feel connected to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area