Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,491,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
You know, even among Scandinavians lutefisk is not popular. It's eaten at Christmas, because it's a tradition, not because anybody actually likes it.
I don't think any restaurants serve it, because it would spoil. But would anybody be able to tell?
I thought that's how they made it, take fish and let it spoil. Oh, I looked it up. Dried cod treated with lye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 01:30 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,893,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Heh! "Sit down, be quiet and eat your lutefisk!"
No grandma... no! NO! NO GRANDMA! *swallows own vomit*

Sorry, flashback to childhood... Sunday mornings in Ballard...

In any case, OP, no: though I found a decent number of vegetarian options, Seattle is far from a "vegan city." Hell, it's far from a "vegetarian city." I think that Seattle gets stereotyped as being a mecca for vegans simply because it's also stereotyped as being a mecca for liberals, and for whatever asinine reason, liberals are supposed to be vegans...?

The Seattle Weekly, the local free/edgy/indie newspaper, had a special issue that detailed the best places to get bacon in the city, because edgy/indie hipster-types have decided that bacon is the most awesome and ironic type of food in the universe. Moustaches and bacon, guys... that's what it's all about.

Seattle is well-known for its seafood catches, specifically salmon. When I did eat meat, I never could find any jerky as good as the stuff made locally. No one's going to "discriminate" against you for not eating meat... It's a personal lifestyle choice, and not one that most vegetarians or vegans will shove down your throat regardless of where you are.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:33 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,893,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
You know, even among Scandinavians lutefisk is not popular. It's eaten at Christmas, because it's a tradition, not because anybody actually likes it.
I don't think any restaurants serve it, because it would spoil. But would anybody be able to tell?
O Lutefisk, O Lutefisk, how fragrant your aroma,
O Lutefisk, O Lutefisk, you put me in a coma.
You smell so strong, you look like glue,
You taste just like an overshoe,
But lutefisk, come Saturday,
I tink I eat you anyvay

O Lutefisk, O lutefisk, I put you in the doorvay.
I wanted you to ripen up just like they do in Norvay.
A dog came by and sprinkled you.
I hit him with my overshoe.
O lutefisk, now I suppose
I'll eat you while I hold my nose.

O Lutefisk, O lutefisk, how well I do remember.
On Christmas Eve how we'd receive our big treat of December.
It wasn't turkey or fried ham.
It wasn't even pickled Spam.
My mother knew there was no risk
In serving buttered lutefisk.

O Lutefisk, O lutefisk, now everyone discovers
That lutefisk and lefse make Norvegians better lovers.
Now all the world can have a ball.
You're better than that Geritol.
O lutefisk, with brennevin
You make me feel like Errol Flynn.

O Lutefisk, O lutefisk, you have a special flavor.
O Lutefisk, O lutefisk, all good Norvegians savor.
That slimy slab we know so well
Identified by ghastly smell.
O Lutefisk, O lutefisk,
Our loyalty won't waver.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:25 AM

3 posts, read 7,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Seattle is also known for its extreme, insane liberalism and armpit hippies.
actually to most of the country seattle's known for rain and a [sic] high suicide rate.

it's the first thing people have to say about it when seattle's brought up - like the city has nothing else to offer

Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,752,534 times
Actually, that's fine by us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area