Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 01:59 AM

253 posts, read 571,508 times

Advertisements

Do you like the atmosphere in Chapel Hill and Carrboro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:52 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
seattlenextyear, I think the stereotypes of the south are how people think of southerners ... lazy, overweight, bigoted, ultra-right wing conservative Christian, and with no culture.

That's not how I think (some) southerners are because I've been fortunate to meet a fair number of them.

But that is how a LOT of people here think of the South and Southerners.
I've traveled the South heavily and that's how I think of them - in a general sense. It is further supported by calls for electrified fences on the border, new laws requiring people to "show their papers", calls for creationism taught in schools, rewriting of Texas schoolbooks, laws requiring a photo ID to vote - except if you are a gun owner, posts from the South here on CD asking where there is "less diversity" in Washington, etc. Notice that you don't hear any of that coming from the Pacific Northwest.

Western Washington is pretty socially liberal, so none of this goes over well. It doesn't mean you'll have problems, nor is it meant to be offensive, but you asked. Being gay is a non-issue. Also, PNWers may take longer to get to know.

Last edited by Seacove; 11-04-2011 at 08:03 AM..

Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
A friend of mine is visiting this week from AL. She's lived there her whole life. She's traveled a lot up and down the east coast but has never been to the west coast. I was thrilled when she told me yesterday she has loved her time in Seattle. Her first comment was how friendly everyone is! We talked a lot about differences in culture and one thing that came up is that there seems to be much less of an obsession with football. LOL.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:21 AM

226 posts, read 507,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I lived in the Triangle area for 6 years. Cultural differences? Seattle's less suburban than the Raleigh/Cary area. Much denser, much more to do here, more cultural opportunities. Much more of an Asian influence. People are more casual than on the East Coast in terms of dress. Also, almost everyone here loves the outdoors.

Seattle's pretty liberal. Think Carrboro, but urban and with actual employment opportunities.

If you move here, prepare to be amazed at how other people see the South. They think that Southerners just sit on their porches all day, sipping iced tea and reading the bible.
Loving the outdoors is a big plus for me. Given the geography and my love of hiking and the mountains, I think I'd love it.

Frankly I think it would be refreshing to be in an area not stifled by heavy Conservativism. Chapel Hill/Carrboro are my cup of tea, so that is appealing as well.

Quote:
seattlenextyear, I think the stereotypes of the south are how people think of southerners ... lazy, overweight, bigoted, ultra-right wing conservative Christian, and with no culture.

That's not how I think (some) southerners are because I've been fortunate to meet a fair number of them.

But that is how a LOT of people here think of the South and Southerners.

The cultural difference here as well is that, at least in the city, there isn't as big a sports culture, UNLESS you talk about soccer. Soccer crowds here are nuts. They're more energetic than the football fans in my opinion, and this is in the "12th man" stadium.

Of course, that could be because none of the local teams are worth cheering for other than the soccer team.
It's unfortunate that so many negative stereotypes about Southerners exist. There is some basis of truth to them, like all stereotypes, but for every bigoted Bible-thumper I know, I can counter with a New Age neo-pagan. The South really has a huge variety of beliefs and values, but it seems that only the real *******s get any press.

Being gay, I make a point to acquaint myself to conservatives just so they can see we (gays) aren't all the same either. It helps change minds and open eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
Do you like the atmosphere in Chapel Hill and Carrboro?
I don't spend a lot of time there, but Chapel Hill and Carrboro are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I've traveled the South heavily and that's how I think of them - in a general sense. It is further supported by calls for electrified fences on the border, new laws requiring people to "show their papers", calls for creationism taught in schools, rewriting of Texas schoolbooks, laws requiring a photo ID to vote - except if you are a gun owner, posts from the South here on CD asking where there is "less diversity" in Washington, etc.

Western Washington is pretty socially liberal, so none of this goes over well. It doesn't mean you'll have problems, but you asked. Also, PNWers may take longer to get to know.
I responded to part of this above, but will take it a little further. While not defending any of the things you pointed out, I will say that not all of these viewpoints are limited just to the South. I've always felt creationism in schools is more of a Midwest thing in my opinion. Modern anti-immigration policies may be source of argument, but I will remind you of the harsh policies initiated against Chinese immigrants on the West Coast back in the 1800-1900s. Not to mention the Japanese internment camps during WW2. Race relations in the South aren't nearly as bad as television reporters like to make out and I would point out racism exists nationwide. I've encountered some extremely bigoted comments from people with very different accents from my own.

In short, thanks for your interpretation of Southerners. I might ask you to reconsider some of your ideas, however, because frankly you're demonstrating some of the very close-minded behavior that you look down upon. Please understand I'm in no way trying to be an ass or initiate any kind of flame war; I'm just offering my honest opinion, as did you.

That said, thanks to everyone so far for their viewpoints. I'm liking quite a bit of what I read and am even learning how some people may react to discovering where I grew up. It's all good information!

Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 AM

Well if you like the vibe in those places there are more than a couple neighborhoods in Seattle you would probably like. Check out Capitol Hill when you visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussakka View Post
That said, thanks to everyone so far for their viewpoints. I'm liking quite a bit of what I read and am even learning how some people may react to discovering where I grew up. It's all good information!
This is not the normal reaction. My friends make fun of me for some of my phrases such as all y'all, the Southern double modal (might could, used to could, etc), you want I should, and a handful of religious based ones (I myself am atheist, but due to being born and raised in the South am CULTURALLY very Christian). but it is all in good fun. I've never actually gotten any genuinely negative responses due to my being from Alabama. Although I'm sure it helps that I am college educated, semi-intelligent, well traveled and socially liberal.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
I responded to part of this above, but will take it a little further. While not defending any of the things you pointed out, I will say that not all of these viewpoints are limited just to the South. I've always felt creationism in schools is more of a Midwest thing in my opinion. Modern anti-immigration policies may be source of argument, but I will remind you of the harsh policies initiated against Chinese immigrants on the West Coast back in the 1800-1900s. Not to mention the Japanese internment camps during WW2. Race relations in the South aren't nearly as bad as television reporters like to make out and I would point out racism exists nationwide. I've encountered some extremely bigoted comments from people with very different accents from my own.

In short, thanks for your interpretation of Southerners. I might ask you to reconsider some of your ideas, however, because frankly you're demonstrating some of the very close-minded behavior that you look down upon. Please understand I'm in no way trying to be an ass or initiate any kind of flame war; I'm just offering my honest opinion, as did you.
I don't think you are an a** at all, the very fact that you ask about cultural differences reflects well on you. As I said, my perception is from a general sense and there are always exceptions. Your examples on the Chinese and Japanese are true but they are based on 70 to 150 years ago. That's not to say the West is without fault - at all. We're talking generally, of course.

As for creationism - unfortunately it was Texas, which has a large impact on school textbooks, that made changes that can impact other states:

Texas Conservatives Win Curriculum Change

Battles over what to put in science and history books have taken place for years in the 20 states where state boards must adopt textbooks, most notably in California and Texas. But rarely in recent history has a group of conservative board members left such a mark on a social studies curriculum.
Efforts by Hispanic board members to include more Latino figures as role models for the state’s large Hispanic population were consistently defeated, prompting one member, Mary Helen Berlanga, to storm out of a meeting late Thursday night, saying, “They can just pretend this is a white America and Hispanics don’t exist.”
“They are going overboard, they are not experts, they are not historians,” she said. “They are rewriting history, not only of Texas but of the United States and the world.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/ed...n/13texas.html

Again, I do understand that not everyone in the South thinks the same way, but in a working environment, those I have met and worked with over the years seemed to share a similar viewpoint. I'm just saying some views are not entirely without merit and this is a topic that has been discussed often among my personal and work friends. Still, it's a general perception, not necessarily applicable to all. I hope you find everything you're looking for in Seattle. Good luck!

Old 11-04-2011, 04:14 PM

90 posts, read 355,300 times
Quote:
My partner and I are considering a move to Seattle and I wondered if any fellow Southerners out there could describe the difference in cultures?

We currently live in Raleigh, North Carolina. My partner has moved around a lot, but I've lived in the South my entire life. So, I wondered what's really different about the Pacific Northwest (and Seattle in particular) from the South. Aside from the obvious, of course: weather, BBQ , etc? College sports are practically a religion in the South, but neither of us is a sports fan, so that's not a problem.

I'd appreciate any insights anyone can offer.
You will first be overwhelmed by the sheer differences in the culture change first! Many different languages being spoke in the stores. "Many" The chance in scenery will be a pleasant delight.

Gay Couples are now the protected class in Seattle, thus you should take advantage of your political status upgrade from the south. "I'm not kidding you could get a good king county job, they are bending over backwards to promote diversity"

Politically speaking; King County dominates the state bar none. You can't win a national election around here with out King County...

Good vs Bad: Your going to have to search for BBQ around here. Though there is a Diverse Culture there is no Culture in the sense of what you are use too. Most are what I call Clans. Yes they travel mostly in there circles, but will associate and mix outside of it. There is one big negative that I view here. The Housing Prices are through the Roof; and the Growth Management Act is the main driver. They are artificially inflating prices; now there are Toll Roads going in. Seattle times just released info that states cost of living is up 10% again.

Oh yeah there pistol packers up here also; don't be fooled by there liberalism. The best way to put it is this; this is a mixing pot. You got EVERY FLAVOR in the MIX! One day you could be around all the wonderful things you hear; next you Run into Some Ultra Conservative.

GL

Old 11-05-2011, 01:12 AM

325 posts, read 787,701 times
I have spent most of the past decade in Washington state with the majority of that in Seattle or Tacoma. I also spent a couple years in the middle of that in Tennessee working and going to graduate school at UT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
It's highly educated and very competitive here which I don't think most transplants get until they move. Everyone has a degree in whatever, or an advanced degree, and usually you compete with people just as qualified so you have to really sell yourself in interviews.
This is very true. This is a very smart area and I noticed it pretty quickly upon moving to Seattle from Tennessee. I enjoyed it because I feel like I am pretty bright myself and felt I fit in better here than I did in the South. The left-leaning personality of western Washington fit me too, but the level of education, number of people reading books on the bus, things like that, also did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
If you move here, prepare to be amazed at how other people see the South. They think that Southerners just sit on their porches all day, sipping iced tea and reading the bible.
I feel bad, but that was a little what I was expecting when I moved to the South after spending the vast majority of my life on West Coast (the rest in the Midwest). Maybe not quite to that level, but I did almost feel like I was going into a foreign country and then when I got there it was much more "normal" than I expected and by the time I left, I really missed the place.

Quote:
The cultural difference here as well is that, at least in the city, there isn't as big a sports culture, UNLESS you talk about soccer. Soccer crowds here are nuts. They're more energetic than the football fans in my opinion, and this is in the "12th man" stadium.
This is very true. Even though the crowds for a Sounders-Portland game may not be as large as for a Tennessee SEC game, the intensity is out of this world. Honestly, it was much, much more intense being at a Seattle-Portland MLS game than it ever was being at a UT-Florida or other big SEC game.

With that said, football is relatively big here. But the great thing about here is that people are very open minded. Nobody really judges you if either you are really into football or another sport or you don't care at all about sports.

Quote:
Of course, that could be because none of the local teams are worth cheering for other than the soccer team.
Not to derail the thread too much, but I don't see the soccer crowds diminishing just because the Mariners and/or Seahawks started getting good. The fan bases between the Sounders and the others don't cross over as much as some may think.

Overall, the South and the Northwest are both friendly, each in their own ways. Climate-wise, I felt the winters in Knoxville and Seattle were very similar, especially in regards to temperatures. The summers are completely opposite, but the winters were nearly identical.

Being gay will not cause anybody here to bat an eye. You will still have some who are judgmental, but a very small percentage compared to other areas of the country. I read somewhere that UT was one of the colleges where it was toughest to be gay, and I believe that.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:54 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,135 times
Quote:
My partner and I are considering a move to Seattle and I wondered if any fellow Southerners out there could describe the difference in cultures?

We currently live in Raleigh, North Carolina. My partner has moved around a lot, but I've lived in the South my entire life. So, I wondered what's really different about the Pacific Northwest (and Seattle in particular) from the South. Aside from the obvious, of course: weather, BBQ , etc? College sports are practically a religion in the South, but neither of us is a sports fan, so that's not a problem.

I'd appreciate any insights anyone can offer.
Being a life-long Northwesterner and Seattlite, when I participated in trade shows in the South, -Atlanta in particular, I was very impressed with the friendliness of the Southerners. We Northwesterners are much more reserved. However, I think Southerners are influenced by the New Englanders invading their territory like Northwesterners are influenced by the Californians invading our territory. Although we do get a lot of Texans and Southerners invading us as well, and that does influence our behavior.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockfordNativenowSeattle View Post
There is one big negative that I view here. The Housing Prices are through the Roof; and the Growth Management Act is the main driver. They are artificially inflating prices; now there are Toll Roads going in. Seattle times just released info that states cost of living is up 10% again.
Negative, the GMA only somewhat restricts sprawl, the main culprits are the NIMBYs and their fear of density that is keeping prices high. Take a look at the ugly mess that is the Roosevelt Upzone for a good example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area