Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:33 PM

43 posts, read 116,619 times

Advertisements

After doing a lot of research and hopefully enough, I have decided to move my family to Burien Washington.... From Las Vegas Nevada!! I would love for any and everyone to tell me what you know about Burien that Google hasn't already told me... We will be moving there literally 30 days after having our daughter!!! We are so excited and ready for a change!!! We'll also be getting married there soon after arrival, even though I consider him my husband already!!! Neither one of us have been to Washington however we are fully aware of the weather difference than Las Vegas which is a great thing considering we keep foil on our Windows to block out the sun lol!! The only reason we are not there now is the fact that I want my family to see the baby at least once because we have no intentions to come back to this sinful desert!!! So anything you know about Burien please feel free to share, we greatly appreciate it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 07:57 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Not that I have anything against Burien, but ....why Burien as opposed to anywhere else?
But OK, a few things I know about Burien:
1.Downtown Burien is charming and fun.
2. The Northern part of Burien is kind of run down and scuzzy.
3. Burien has some awesome Mexican restaurants.( and a bunch of other good places to eat too, and a Trader Joes.)
4. Seahurst Park is gorgeous, and a great place for a hike.
5. The schools aren't great.
6. It's pretty easy to get to downtown Seattle.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Think of it as a suburb of the airport. With the noise that comes with it.

You might be fine there for a few years, but while here look around for a place to move to before the baby starts school in 5 years.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:42 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Think of it as a suburb of the airport. With the noise that comes with it.

You might be fine there for a few years, but while here look around for a place to move to before the baby starts school in 5 years.
I think only the eastern part of Burien is especially airplane noisy. When I'm down at Seahurst Park walking the dog I never hear planes.
Burien has some gorgeous parks in addition to Seahurst, and Three Tree Point has some cool, windy roads heading down to the water.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:02 PM

I've never been to Washington nor have my fiance so we're not familiar with all of the different locations... and just feel like this will be a nice place to land for the first year until we can get more familiar with the state. I love the 40000 population opposed to Vegas. It seems fun (downtown) and family orientated judging by there events on there website. It seems pretty boring and not so busy which is great and what we really want. The 15-20 drive to downtown Seattle is awesome for when we want to party so to say... I read that Burien had one club which isn't really a club but a restaurant that turns into a semi club on Friday night's which is nice. I also enjoy being 15-20 minutes from Federal Way because it seems they have a bunch of fun things to do as well for the kids, ex: the water park... The library in Burien seems awesome which is great considering my children are home schooled. I've been on websites checking out houses to rent as well and they seem reasonably affordable... Sea Hurst park is beautiful of course. Burien may not be the BEST place for us but it certainly won't be the worst for us considering all I have read about it. All we can do is wait and see (:

Old 11-14-2011, 10:00 PM

Is there any other places you guys would suggest that maybe I'm not familiar with? Were looking for somewhere affordable under or around 2000 per month for a 4 bedroom house. Easy commute to DT Seattle and Federal Way... Low population, semi boring, family orientated activities, a nice library, outdoor activities, nice restaurants, a good community center for the kids, and preferably a beach. Any suggestions??

Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 PM

16 posts, read 39,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPP View Post
I've never been to Washington (:
Do you like the rain through the whole year almost? If yes - welcome!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:18 PM

I love the rain! In Vegas I kid you not we may get it 3 times a year.... I wish it would rain everyday but then again I don't because the rain would be really hot. I hear that it rains a lot in Washington however it's mostly light rain. Right now it is 39 degrees in Seattle and 62 degrees here in Vegas, now the weather temps is what I'll have to get used to but the rain I don't see as a problem at all. The 3 week summer there I think I read somewhere is going to be cool too because it's so hot here during the summer you can fry an egg on the sidewalk!

Old 11-15-2011, 02:23 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPP View Post
Is there any other places you guys would suggest that maybe I'm not familiar with? Were looking for somewhere affordable under or around 2000 per month for a 4 bedroom house. Easy commute to DT Seattle and Federal Way... Low population, semi boring, family orientated activities, a nice library, outdoor activities, nice restaurants, a good community center for the kids, and preferably a beach. Any suggestions??
Well, King County has a wonderful library system and I have yet to find one local library that disappointed me. The Seattle area have lots of community recs and is very family friendly.

Since you're asking for a beach: Also look into Normandy Park, Des Moines, West Seattle. But why limit yourself on the Puget Sound shore? Also look around Lake Washington as well ... Like Renton which is very accessible to Gene Coulon Beach (Lk. WA), or Columbia City which is closer to Seattle but so very close to Seward Park which is awesome. Your kid(s) are going to **love** Seward Park.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:19 AM

Des Moines doesn't seem to appealing, reading from forums on here. Normandy Park's population is really small if city datas stats are correct.. it seems nice but a little too nice if that makes sense... I feel like we would stand out too much there..... I'm Mexican Filipino and black, my fiance Irish red head...Inkpoe if I remember correctly you said the Pnw are more open than people here where I'm from or something to that nature, so I'm not too worried about our interracial relationship or our mixed children being looked at as aliens but I kind of want somewhere where we may actually blend in if possible lol. I was actually thinking about Seattle but my mate doesn't want to move there... He doesn't want to leave a big city for another... Nothing really popped out about Columbia City and it could be because in MY HEAD I feel Burien is perfect for us even if it may not be.. haven't read anything that grabbed my attention about Columbia City... Renton sounds like a possibility though... I'm definitely going to do more research on Renton. I also want to thank you all for taking the time out to respond to my post, your more help than you'll know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area